Shopping Discussion

Experience with Costco appliance delivery and basic installation?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2022 12:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2018
1350 posts
857 upvotes

Experience with Costco appliance delivery and basic installation?

I'm thinking about buying a new laundry centre from Costco which includes haul away and basic installation. Does anyone have any experience with their appliance basic installation service? I'm not a very handy person, so I'll need someone to do it for me. If Costco is not competent enough, then I am leaning towards paying extra for installation services from Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, etc...

Please share your experience, thanks.
31 replies
Dec 26, 2005
621 posts
150 upvotes
I ordered a stove back at the end of November and I'm still without a stove. Two arrived damaged and sent back. Have dealt with probably 20 different cs reps and have heard it all, it's out of stock, it's discontinued, tried to talk me into buying a more expensive model, waiting for it to come back in stock.... They issued me a refund that I didnt ask for after 3 months and now they wont honour the original price I paid. Just got an email saying it will be delivered June 4 and I didnt even put an order in! I dont care how good their warranty or price is, I will never deal with those idiots again.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1272 posts
354 upvotes
Oakville
I ordered a Bosch dishwasher on boxing day, and got it promptly a week or two later. Scheduling went smooth, and the delivery went great. I did the installation myself so can't comment on that.

But I think YMMV type of deal.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4257 posts
1024 upvotes
costco-ca-appliance-delivery-2163772/
Shepherd214 wrote: I ordered a stove back at the end of November and I'm still without a stove. Two arrived damaged and sent back. Have dealt with probably 20 different cs reps and have heard it all, it's out of stock, it's discontinued, tried to talk me into buying a more expensive model, waiting for it to come back in stock.... They issued me a refund that I didnt ask for after 3 months and now they wont honour the original price I paid. Just got an email saying it will be delivered June 4 and I didnt even put an order in! I dont care how good their warranty or price is, I will never deal with those idiots again.
Did you get some red hot clearance item that actually is discontinued? Maybe they're trying to source something that's hard to find now?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5261 posts
2587 upvotes
Winnipeg
Had a great experience with ordering and delivery with Costco.

It was a dishwasher, so I had to do the install myself.

Laundry is pretty straightforward. Attache the hoses, plug them in and slide them into place.
This isn't a blog.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6152 posts
1996 upvotes
Mississauga
Costco will do the install for you.... for laundry machines...

you need to detach your current ones...
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1193 upvotes
Montreal
Shepherd214 wrote: I ordered a stove back at the end of November and I'm still without a stove. Two arrived damaged and sent back. Have dealt with probably 20 different cs reps and have heard it all, it's out of stock, it's discontinued, tried to talk me into buying a more expensive model, waiting for it to come back in stock.... They issued me a refund that I didnt ask for after 3 months and now they wont honour the original price I paid. Just got an email saying it will be delivered June 4 and I didnt even put an order in! I dont care how good their warranty or price is, I will never deal with those idiots again.
that is hilarious!
So... free stove?! Face With Tears Of Joy
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1989 posts
479 upvotes
'sauga
I ordered a dishwasher on Feb 13 and it was delivered on the 21st. No issues, but I had to make the delivery guys wait while I inspected it.

I think they were supposed to remove the packaging so I could inspect it but they didn't do any of that, they just wanted to run off to their next delivery.

If these guys were the same ones who would hook up laundry machines, I'd rather do it myself. These guys are all about get-in and get-out.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23507 posts
22463 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Costco has good to excellent prices
But not a wide assortment of items / inventory
BUT ... they tend to carry the best / highest rated items
They have great prices / price protection
Especially if it’s listed on sale
Plus awesome warranty etc

Where they seem to be lacking is in Delivery, Haul Away & Installation
As referenced by others
Several horror stories here on RFD ... some of them quite recent

I would buy from Costco if they had what I wanted at a good price
And I could do the take away & delivery myself
(Ie ask about Current Stock or Ship to store)

We recently bought a stove from Lowes (during Black Friday Promos)
On sale ... price was competitive
As a Black Friday Promo it came with FREE Delivery & FREE Haul Away
And a boatload of AirMiles
Lowes also honoured their recently reinstated Pricematch Policy
(meet + 10% Off ... that saved us over $ 100 more )

Delivery Day came as expected
The guys doing the drop called ahead to let us know time
And to ensure that WE had uninstalled the appliance they were due to haul away (we had)
They took the old appliance out
And then brought the new one in
They waited while we unwrapped it (they helped)
So we could see it wasn’t damaged / dented etc

We installed it ourselves ... easy
So I cannot comment on that aspect of Lowes Service

All in ... a great experience
Would buy from Lowes again
Preferably during another Black Friday promo
So as to reap all the rewards that we got
(All in ... saved / earned hundreds of dollars in extras ... PLUS the great price)
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2390 posts
621 upvotes
Ontario
They used to contract it out to Sears for delivery. I'm not sure who the contract out to now.
Aug 6, 2014
121 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Purchased an LG fridge from Costco.ca last fall and it was delivered without any issues or concerns within a week or so. Costco's LG delivery uses their own logistics provider dedicated to LG products, which may explain why delivery expenses will vary depending on the manufacturer. Costco.ca telephone customer service itself has been phenomenal, they compensated us post-delivery for a cosmetic manufacturing defect we found in the fridge itself.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1039 posts
159 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
We have had exceptional service when ordering appliances from Costco.ca. If you click here, you can view the details on their delivery of laundry, appliances and haul away requirements.

https://www.costco.ca/wcsstore/CostcoCA ... dry_EN.pdf
https://www.costco.ca/wcsstore/CostcoCA ... ces_EN.pdf
https://www.costco.ca/wcsstore/CostcoCA ... nts_EN.pdf

I have had other (non appliance) issues with delivery here in Kingston. Day & Ross left a dining table and a bathroom vanity in the driveway and insisted that satisfied threshold delivery, and they will not bring any items up any stairs, not even standard 3-4 stairs that many houses have up to their front porch.

The vanity box was soaking wet when we got home from work that day, and the table stupid me signed for, worried if I refused I wouldn't get the table and it was the last one costco.ca had in stock. I had to find someone on Kijiji willing to bring the table in so it would not be stolen overnight since my husband was out of town. I had to pay them $100.

White glove service is amazing though. The two guys that delivered our couch a couple of months ago were great, I just loved their positive attitude and they really treated the couch like it was their own. In fact they fussed over it more than I probably would have. They received a very nice tip.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1475 posts
791 upvotes
Vancouver
Probably just depends on the person you get. Paying for delivery at other places wouldn't guarantee you better service. I bought a washer/dryer from Homedepot, the shipping fee included "basic installation" but the guys that came in didn't even know how to use a wrench. They also required me to disconnect the old appliance by myself before they would take it away. In the end the installation was useless because you have to be the person that disconnect and connect the lines anyways.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2666 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
someone16 wrote: Probably just depends on the person you get. Paying for delivery at other places wouldn't guarantee you better service. I bought a washer/dryer from Homedepot, the shipping fee included "basic installation" but the guys that came in didn't even know how to use a wrench. They also required me to disconnect the old appliance by myself before they would take it away. In the end the installation was useless because you have to be the person that disconnect and connect the lines anyways.
Disconnection is more about liability from them. They are not "allowed" to touch anything that isn't what they are going to pick up, to avoid damage/flood. They are supposed to install it tho.

I had some install on Monday that I had to disconnect (which wasn't that hard, but a bit tight space), but was annoying that they couldn't remove the stacking kit (was a "big" one, as the washer was top load, so the dryer had to be a lot higher than normal)
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3010 upvotes
I just recently got a fridge from Costco (ordered online).

A company called "Metro to Home" is actually handling the delivery and installation in the GTA.

"Metro to Home" did NOT use "booties" (shoe covers) and made a mess all over my house. Is it a huge deal? Well, not huge, but it would be appreciated that they do something like shoe covers especially in the winter.

Happy with Costco? Yeah.
Happy with the delivery? Nah.
997 upvotes
Toronto
someone16 wrote: Probably just depends on the person you get. Paying for delivery at other places wouldn't guarantee you better service. I bought a washer/dryer from Homedepot, the shipping fee included "basic installation" but the guys that came in didn't even know how to use a wrench. They also required me to disconnect the old appliance by myself before they would take it away. In the end the installation was useless because you have to be the person that disconnect and connect the lines anyways.
This.
Had a washing machine delivered from Costco- for the GTA, they use some Quebec based company- who are very nice and easy to deal with on the phone.
But the delivery wasn't that great. The installation folks, similar to above barely knew how to use a wrench, we had to disconnect everything- BUT they attached everything- ...incorrectly- they installed the hot water hose into the cold water socket and vice versa..it was such a hassle to fix. So yes the product was delivered but it was just an o.k experience.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3741 posts
1136 upvotes
Vancouver
motomondo wrote: I just recently got a fridge from Costco (ordered online).

A company called "Metro to Home" is actually handling the delivery and installation in the GTA.

"Metro to Home" did NOT use "booties" (shoe covers) and made a mess all over my house. Is it a huge deal? Well, not huge, but it would be appreciated that they do something like shoe covers especially in the winter.

Happy with Costco? Yeah.
Happy with the delivery? Nah.
Same experience with Metro to Home in Vancouver. Very disappointing.

Complain to Costco. They gave me a $75 goodwill credit.
Apr 17, 2012
9 posts
5 upvotes
London Ontario
bobohobo2kx wrote: I'm thinking about buying a new laundry centre from Costco which includes haul away and basic installation. Does anyone have any experience with their appliance basic installation service? I'm not a very handy person, so I'll need someone to do it for me. If Costco is not competent enough, then I am leaning towards paying extra for installation services from Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, etc...

Please share your experience, thanks.
What area of Canada are you located. I bought LG fridge but doors will need to be removed to get it into the kitchen. Wondering if they will remove doors?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2018
1350 posts
857 upvotes
klarkkent wrote: What area of Canada are you located. I bought LG fridge but doors will need to be removed to get it into the kitchen. Wondering if they will remove doors?
I'm in Toronto. Costco complimentary appliance basic installation service ended up doing a good job setting up my laundry centre. I also ordered a fridge from them. It had no issues fitting in my kitchen but I wanted the door swapped to the other side for convenience and they said they couldn't do it.