Personal Finance

Experience with disputing credit information with Equifax?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2020 9:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2018
1267 posts
816 upvotes

Experience with disputing credit information with Equifax?

Anyone have experience disputing incorrect credit info on their credit report with Equifax? I have an account they think is still open but was closed more than a year ago. To "correct" or "update" your credit report, they make you fill out a form, and then either fax or snail mail it to them along with supporting documentation. Supposedly they try to correct it within 20 business days. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it, positive or negative, to share. A friend of mine went through this process a couple of years ago and they pretty much just ignored the fax and snail mail. In the end he had to drive from Toronto to Burlington and correct it in person (this is not listed as an option on their website). I'm hoping that was an anomaly.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5884 posts
4330 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
It might be faster to contact the company the trade is registered to. They can update equifax/transunion pretty quickly.
Sep 16, 2012
724 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto
Don't bother. Equifax is terrible about updating credit reports.

But if you have to- choose fax. If they do choose to fix it, its usually within 2-3 business days of the fax date.

TransUnion I've found to be much more receptive, although their fax number is literally hidden.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3639 posts
2303 upvotes
London
Equifax is much harder then tu. call the company the account is with ask them to write something that shows the account is closed. then fax it to Equifax with a letter stating u want the account updated to be closed. it might take 2 or 3 tires before they deal with it.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12649 posts
7775 upvotes
Markham
How does Equifax or trans union validate your request is real? Like how do they make sure their bureau information is correct
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3639 posts
2303 upvotes
London
smartie wrote: How does Equifax or trans union validate your request is real? Like how do they make sure their bureau information is correct
they ask that u get proof from the company. such as a letter.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1317 posts
1550 upvotes
GTA
Gotta update my Equifax account as well tomorrow/Tuesday regarding an incorrect middle name. Will try calling first because I don't want my information in an envelope. Will update