Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 3, 2016
58 posts
5 upvotes

Experience Record for P.Eng License - PEO

Hi all.

I will appreciate if someone could share with me a sample experience record for P.Eng license acceptable to PEO. Please don't attach any PEO link as I have gone through their guide and other requirements. Just want to see how to split the experience under five components as required by PEO. Thanks
12 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
If you can't decipher requirements after going through peo website. Then you shouldn't be getting a license.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2016
58 posts
5 upvotes
ironbrah wrote: If you can't decipher requirements after going through peo website. Then you shouldn't be getting a license.
They say" speak only when you know your words are better than your silence". Had web sites been sufficient source of info, there would not be any need for such forums i guess :)
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3298 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga
I would almost agree with the other poster here...

The experience record is a very personal document. Sure there isn't much confidential information but it is a deep dive into your resume / experience. Heck there might even be situations where people exaggerate some aspects of their experience.

As such I only shared my own experience record with very close friends and that's about it.

What exactly do you need help with? What was it that the PEO literature was lacking in perhaps?
[OP]
Mar 3, 2016
58 posts
5 upvotes
mbk.2k3 wrote: I would almost agree with the other poster here...

The experience record is a very personal document. Sure there isn't much confidential information but it is a deep dive into your resume / experience. Heck there might even be situations where people exaggerate some aspects of their experience.

As such I only shared my own experience record with very close friends and that's about it.

What exactly do you need help with? What was it that the PEO literature was lacking in perhaps?
Thanks for your input. As i said i just want to see how to split your experience under five components as required by PEO. Like i have worked on construction projects with different duties to perform on each project. Some of duties relate to just designing while others relate to implementation at site. In few projects i did the coordination job. Also, i have performed all of these different roles while working with one company. How this varied experience would be put to satisfy PEOs' requirement. Should there be a separate split for each project or...!! It is just one example, i have some more questions of the similar nature. I agree that it is quite a personal stuff, but at least some portion of it can be shared after little bit of editing. Hope you got my point, cheers
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
ycanada wrote: Thanks for your input. As i said i just want to see how to split your experience under five components as required by PEO. Like i have worked on construction projects with different duties to perform on each project. Some of duties relate to just designing while others relate to implementation at site. In few projects i did the coordination job. Also, i have performed all of these different roles while working with one company. How this varied experience would be put to satisfy PEOs' requirement. Should there be a separate split for each project or...!! It is just one example, i some more questions of the similar nature. I agree that it is quite a personal stuff, but can be shared after editing personal info from the document. Hope you got my point, cheers
Translation: I am too lazy / stupid to transfer my Ideas on Paper, I need to copy / paste since that's what I learned in school for 50k.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3298 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga
here is what my breakdown looks like....

i was only at one company for the entire duration of my EIT status, so this is the breakdown i used:

job 1
job 1 role/responsibilities general overview
job 1 key projects (listed them, just one line each)
job 1 application of theory (picked 2-3 of key projects and elaborated how i applied theory/school concepts, listed relevant school courses as well)
job 1 practical experience (picked 2-3 of key projects and detailed some hands-on practical experience i recieved while on those projects)
job 1 management of engineering (picked 2-3 of key projects and described management/coordination activities i undertook)
job 1 communication skills (picked 2-3 of key projects and described how i improved communication skills, or successes I had that could be chalked up to good communication skills)
job 1 social engineering (this is where i had to fluff the most
in addition, i listed my 5 co-op terms and attached the "pregraduation experience record forms" for each of those co-ops.

if you had two jobs or more, then i would use the following breakdown:

job 1
job 2
job 2 role/responsibilities general overview
job 2 key projects (listed them, just one line each)
job 3
job 3 role/responsibilities general overview
job 3 key projects (listed them, just one line each)
application of theory (pick 2-3 of key projects from either job and elaborate)
practical experience (pick 2-3 of key projects from either job and detail)
management of engineering pick 2-3 of key projects from either job and described management/coordination activities)
communication skills (pick 2-3 of key projects from either job)
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2903 posts
1403 upvotes
Unless someone works in the exact same field of engineering as you, it would be pretty pointless to share their experience record.

I think mine was something like 28 pages long...no issues when submitted.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3908 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
ycanada wrote: Hi all.

I will appreciate if someone could share with me a sample experience record for P.Eng license acceptable to PEO. Please don't attach any PEO link as I have gone through their guide and other requirements. Just want to see how to split the experience under five components as required by PEO. Thanks
Seriously? A P.Eng. also means you've got work experience writing reports and conveying technical information. If you are experienced enough to be applying for a license, you should be confident in what you prepare and submit that you shouldn't need to see others' examples. At some point in time you have to be able to operate without the safety nets. Now's that time!
--
There is no happy ending
[OP]
Mar 3, 2016
58 posts
5 upvotes
mbk.2k3 wrote: here is what my breakdown looks like....

i was only at one company for the entire duration of my EIT status, so this is the breakdown i used:

job 1
job 1 application of theory (picked 2-3 of key projects and elaborated how i applied theory/school concepts, listed relevant school courses as well)
job 1 practical experience (picked 2-3 of key projects and detailed some hands-on practical experience i recieved while on those projects)
job 1 management of engineering (picked 2-3 of key projects and described management/coordination activities i undertook)
job 1 communication skills (picked 2-3 of key projects and described how i improved communication skills, or successes I had that could be chalked up to good communication skills)
job 1 social engineering (this is where i had to fluff the most
in addition, i listed my 5 co-op terms and attached the "pregraduation experience record forms" for each of those co-ops.

if you had two jobs or more, then i would use the following breakdown:

job 1
job 2
job 2 role/responsibilities general overview
job 2 key projects (listed them, just one line each)
job 3
job 3 role/responsibilities general overview
job 3 key projects (listed them, just one line each)
application of theory (pick 2-3 of key projects from either job and elaborate)
practical experience (pick 2-3 of key projects from either job and detail)
management of engineering pick 2-3 of key projects from either job and described management/coordination activities)
communication skills (pick 2-3 of key projects from either job)
Appreciate your detailed reply, got a good idea, will try to put them the way you suggested, thanks dear. Ever since i landed in Canada, almost a year now, i been to couple of entry level jobs, like my most recent job was as mechanical technician, do i need to include this experience as well !!
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3298 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga
ycanada wrote: Appreciate your detailed reply, got a good idea, will try to put them the way you suggested, thanks dear. Ever since i landed in Canada, almost a year now, i been to couple of entry level jobs, like my most recent job was as mechanical technician, do i need to include this experience as well !!
i think the general rule of thumb is that only experience you'd have working under a P.Eng is admissible...

so if your supervisor was a P.Eng, then yes you include it. but i would run it by the PEO office, check their guidelines and reference documents.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
mbk.2k3 wrote: i think the general rule of thumb is that only experience you'd have working under a P.Eng is admissible...

so if your supervisor was a P.Eng, then yes you include it. but i would run it by the PEO office, check their guidelines and reference documents.
Also please make sure that your job title is same as on your hiring letter. I have heard of people getting their experience rejected due to discrepancy.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2016
58 posts
5 upvotes
mbk.2k3 wrote: i think the general rule of thumb is that only experience you'd have working under a P.Eng is admissible...

will have to check with PEO...i personally think it should not be included even though my supervisor is a P.Eng cuz the duties i performed were of a technician level
@ironbrah - good point +1