Parenting & Family

Experience with smart kid watches anyone ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2021 1:19 pm
[OP]
Jun 7, 2021
1 posts

Experience with smart kid watches anyone ?

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find a reliable and functional smart watch for our 12 year old - other than Apple and Samsung which are out of the question because of the prohibitive price. I've spent countless hours trying to figure out how this all works, and it is so overwhelming - they are either not supported by Canadian carriers, or they are too bulky, or too unreliable, too expensive, too cheaply made, semi anonymous third-party data collection issues, everything under the sun.

I wonder if anyone else has researched this, and what have you decided on? Anyone using one of these watches to their satisfaction ? Anyone with a good recommendation for what works well here in Ontario? Which watch and which carrier/ plan would you recommend? We need GPS tracking and 2-way voice calling at a minimum. Nothing too gimmicky. We just want to give our son a way of communicating with us if need be, and we don't want to go into the cell phone business just yet.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1171 posts
550 upvotes
TORONTO
Sounds like you need a true smart watch like the Apple Watch or Samsung.

I personally don't know of any other 'cheap' smartwatch that includes GPS and 2 way voice calling. Those are big things to ask for to be cheap. I was going to suggest a VTech watch but I don't believe they have cellular/gps included. Maybe look into older generations of Apple Watches. They are cheaper and may be able to support what you want to do.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2110 posts
1532 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
It's not exactly what you asked for but, if this was around before my kids had phones, I would have used it because the bus kept losing my kids or getting them lost (not my kids getting lost, but the driver would get lost and drop them off at the random location and tell them to walk).

https://www.livelifealarms.ca/

I have one of these for my dad who is senior that cannot use a smart very well. It has a GPS locator which you can check at any time, there is two way calling. You can program 5 numbers (in sequence) and if there is an emergency, a text will go out to all the numbers, and it will dial in sequence until one of them picks up to (until it hits the last number). It gives you the option to call into the device and listen what is going on.

However, for a kid, there may be some cons. It has fall detection, which will send out an alert. I don't if there is a way to turn off fall detection as kids seem to fall alot. Because it's a device, it only has a speaker option. So you can't really have a private conversation. It also has an 'emergency' button which causes it to beep, I am not sure you want kid with this.

The cost is expensive up front (I think about $500, not sure now), but the yearly fee is really cheap ($45). It's cheaper than a cell plan but if its only for a short time, then it may be worth looking at another. Unless you have multiple kids that you would want to pass it down too. If they had this at the time my kids were younger, I would have bought it for them, and then given it to my dad afterwards. This only works if you have an elderly parent that you will want to give this to later. I had recommended this device to a someone who has kid with autism who wanders, and they found it very useful.
Just some thoughts.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24832 posts
1949 upvotes
Markham, ON
Anna416 wrote: Hi everyone,

I am trying to find a reliable and functional smart watch for our 12 year old - other than Apple and Samsung which are out of the question because of the prohibitive price. I've spent countless hours trying to figure out how this all works, and it is so overwhelming - they are either not supported by Canadian carriers, or they are too bulky, or too unreliable, too expensive, too cheaply made, semi anonymous third-party data collection issues, everything under the sun.

I wonder if anyone else has researched this, and what have you decided on? Anyone using one of these watches to their satisfaction ? Anyone with a good recommendation for what works well here in Ontario? Which watch and which carrier/ plan would you recommend? We need GPS tracking and 2-way voice calling at a minimum. Nothing too gimmicky. We just want to give our son a way of communicating with us if need be, and we don't want to go into the cell phone business just yet.
yeah...the only real option is Apple. Dont waste your time with anything else for a teen. A cellphone is actually a better investment....watch is only an accessory.