Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11516 posts
1487 upvotes
GVR

Experiences on when to neuter

Experiences with best time to neuter? My Brittany Spaniel pup is 8 months old, 37lbs, and I 100% intend to neuter just not sure when? I know at least a couple littermates have already spayed+neutered but I think that was mostly related to daycare requirements (which may also be an issue on my horizon?)

His limbs are quite long I expect him to still fill out but feel like he’s otherwise just about done growing to his full size?

I’m not seeing any marking behaviour. And he lifts his leg to pee on post at home but basically never lifts his leg on walks

Over last couple weeks he definitely wants to hump me a lot more - and is showing… excitement… during this time. I know it’s not always sexual but feel he does get plenty of daily mental+physical exercise. He gets into a “zone” where it’s like he doesn’t hear/listen to me at all and just very focused on his need to hump.

Not noticed any adverse behaviours around other dogs - either from him or towards him.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1615 posts
1001 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
In my experience and research, the best time to neuter/spay is when the dog is fully grown. For a Brittany spaniel, I think it’s 12 to 16 months.

There’s many benefits to waiting, such as the dog having proper bone density. Dogs fixed too early tends to have bones and growth plates not fully developed. For females spayed too early, some will experience problems with bladder control.

There are also benefits to having the dog fixed early, first thing that comes to mind is ovarian and testicular cancer, but it’s such a small percentage that when I looked into it, I still think it’s better to wait a little.

So, if it was me, I would probably have him fixed at a little over a year.

I have a mini poodle and she was 15 months when I had her spayed.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11516 posts
1487 upvotes
GVR
kittypink wrote: In my experience and research, the best time to neuter/spay is when the dog is fully grown. For a Brittany spaniel, I think it’s 12 to 16 months.

There’s many benefits to waiting, such as the dog having proper bone density. Dogs fixed too early tends to have bones and growth plates not fully developed. For females spayed too early, some will experience problems with bladder control.

There are also benefits to having the dog fixed early, first thing that comes to mind is ovarian and testicular cancer, but it’s such a small percentage that when I looked into it, I still think it’s better to wait a little.

So, if it was me, I would probably have him fixed at a little over a year.

I have a mini poodle and she was 15 months when I had her spayed.
Yeah as my adventure buddy, I mostly want to ensure he’s fully grown (outside of health/behavioural issues etc popping up) but if I’m not mistake the only way to know that is to do X-rays, otherwise you’re just guesstimating :(
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5563 posts
3055 upvotes
Toronto
We are in the spay/neuter later camp.
Alternatives are vasectomy or ovary sparing spay.
You may have to hunt for a vet that regularly does these.
Sep 15, 2017
901 posts
1112 upvotes
No point neutering a male. To each their own.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1615 posts
1001 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
Many reasons to neuter a male.

Most important reason in my opinion is the comfort and happiness of the animal. Having a sex drive and not being able to do anything about it sounds like torture.

Also, neutering helps lessens the anxiety of dogs wanting to wander to look for females in heat.

Testicular cancer is also a reason. Intact males have a much higher chances.

I see more pros to neutering than cons.

The cons that I am aware of is neutered//spayed animals tend to gain weight, but that can be controlled through diet and exercise.
Sep 15, 2017
901 posts
1112 upvotes
Sure sure, risk urinary incontinence, messing up hormones, maturation. Increased risk of osteosarcoma, hypothyroidism, cognitive impairments, and increased risk to vaccine reactions.

Also as per the AKC "Neutering also does not prevent prostate cancer. “As a matter of fact,” Dr. Hart told me, based on available data, “prostate cancer in males is more common in neutered than intact dogs.”"

I've never had a problem with any males and roaming or sexual urges, but I also have well trained dogs that aren't allowed to "wander".

Sounds like your biggest issue is building a fence and obedience.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1146 posts
654 upvotes
kittypink wrote: Many reasons to neuter a male.

Most important reason in my opinion is the comfort and happiness of the animal. Having a sex drive and not being able to do anything about it sounds like torture.

Also, neutering helps lessens the anxiety of dogs wanting to wander to look for females in heat.

The cons that I am aware of is neutered//spayed animals tend to gain weight, but that can be controlled through diet and exercise.
all BS ^^^
Jun 14, 2022
125 posts
138 upvotes
kittypink wrote: Many reasons to neuter a male.

Aggression issues is a big one as well, especially in bully breeds.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)