Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 26, 2008
778 posts
560 upvotes

Expired

Expired
Last edited by syuzh on Nov 28th, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thread Summary
Expired
14 replies
Oct 21, 2005
787 posts
729 upvotes
This looks to benchmark worse than the 970 EVO Plus that was $240 last week. Any real benefit of this one?
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12046 posts
14521 upvotes
Toronto
LBJackal wrote: This looks to benchmark worse than the 970 EVO Plus that was $240 last week. Any real benefit of this one?
No real benefit for normal desktop usage

Samsung warranty requires you to take their product back to the place where you bought it for replacement

Has anyone dealt with Samsung Warranty for SSD? ***UPDATED***

With Crucial you would need to mail it to the USA and they sometimes send it back with out declaring it is a warranty replacement leading to taxes, duties and brokerage fees

Help me choose between these 3 ssd's
Destiny is all
[OP]
Sep 26, 2008
778 posts
560 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: No real benefit for normal desktop usage

Samsung warranty requires you to take their product back to the place where you bought it for replacement

Has anyone dealt with Samsung Warranty for SSD? ***UPDATED***

With Crucial you would need to mail it to the USA and they sometimes send it back with out declaring it is a warranty replacement leading to taxes, duties and brokerage fees

Help me choose between these 3 ssd's
You seriously need to actually do some research instead of reading a sentence and then start posting misinformation as if it was fact.

Retailers are not required and cannot be enforced to process a manufacturer's warranty, especially for 5 years. Samsung does do warranty replacement, but it's a huge pain in the ass; hence I never, ever buy any Samsung product.
In that thread, they outsource their warranty claims to a 3rd party processor and information is provided on how to contact them.

For Crucial, the user was 100% at fault for paying duties and brokerages and then blaming Crucial for their own screw up.
It's not like any other manufacturer hasn't made a mistake with paperwork. And sometimes it's not even their fault, but the couriers decide to screw people.
You refuse package, notify Crucial, and then you're done. They'll resend it. So simple; yet I always underestimate how stupid people can be.
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12046 posts
14521 upvotes
Toronto
syuzh wrote: You seriously need to actually do some research instead of reading a sentence and then start posting misinformation as if it was fact.

Retailers are not required and cannot be enforced to process a manufacturer's warranty, especially for 5 years. Samsung does do warranty replacement, but it's a huge pain in the ass; hence I never, ever buy any Samsung product.
In that thread, they outsource their warranty claims to a 3rd party processor and information is provided on how to contact them.
Is the 3rd party processor Total Tech Solutions?

Recently posted,
SuddenlyStalin wrote: Personal datapoint:

Have a failing 980 Pro. Made my Samsung Account, went through their online help where I send them photos of the drive and bill etc.

They sent me an email telling me to take it to the retailer (Best Buy).

I went to Best Buy help online and (obviously) they said its the manufacturers responsibility. Samsung gives you a document explaining that its the retailer's responsibility that you are supposed to waive at them like a limp dick I guess.

I tried the Total Tech guys mentioned here on the weekend and they just wrote me to say that since I am in Canada I am to go to my retailer (they sent me the same limp dick pdf file to wave at the retailer).

Surprised as anyone here that Samsung of all people treats their customers like this.
Destiny is all
Jul 27, 2014
820 posts
645 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Got this drive a month or 2 ago when it suddenly went on sale for $248. Just using it as a game drive.
No problems with Far Cry 6, BFV, Halo Infinite... Can't say the same thing for BF 2042, but that's not the SSD's fault ;D
[OP]
Sep 26, 2008
778 posts
560 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Is the 3rd party processor Total Tech Solutions?

Recently posted,
Wow, you just love digging your own hole. You're trying to be smart now and you're just as stupid as that original user.
SuddenlyStalin wrote: I tried the Total Tech guys mentioned here on the weekend and they just wrote me to say that since I am in Canada I am to go to my retailer (they sent me the same limp dick pdf file to wave at the retailer).
Thread Summary wrote: Samtack Inc. in Markham, Ontario and Total Tech Solutions, Inc. in Carlstadt, New Jersey

If you bought your drive from a merchant that ships from the USA, maybe you should go with Total Tech Solution in the first place.
What do you expect? The guy is in Canada, the USA-based warranty processor does not service Canada. :facepalm:
Why even have a Canadian processor if they're going to the USA one anyway?

Regardless, you should always go through the manufacturer first as they should be the one referring you to their most up-to-date warranty processor. That post is from 2017 so things can (have) changed.

Doesn't change the fact that Samsung is garbage, but spreading misinformation also makes you garbage. 'Cause now you're directing people to retailers and they just tell them no because they can't do anything about it.
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12046 posts
14521 upvotes
Toronto
porksoda wrote: Terrible (compared to others available in the same range) random r/w and terrible 4k latency

Not good for a daily driver
Please recommend a 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD at this price to be used as "a daily driver"

Tia
Destiny is all
Apr 7, 2021
28 posts
28 upvotes
Is it better than the Samsung amazon had last week?
I got that one but not sure if this is better in terms of performance.

Will install to my 2019 dell Alienware desktop
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12046 posts
14521 upvotes
Toronto
Onlyforvpnwong wrote: Is it better than the Samsung amazon had last week?
I got that one but not sure if this is better in terms of performance.

Will install to my 2019 dell Alienware desktop
970 EVO PLUS constantly beats the P5 in performance

P5 also runs hot compared to most SSD's

https://versus.com/en/crucial-p5-2tb-vs ... o-plus-2tb
Destiny is all
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12046 posts
14521 upvotes
Toronto
MexicanPeso wrote: How does this compare speed wise - NOT capacity as I know it is 1tb vs 2tb.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08KFS6THF/ref=dp_iou_view_product?ie=UTF8&th=1

WD_BLACK 1TB SN850 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND, Up to 7,000 MB/s - WDS100T1X0E
WD_BLACK SN850 are Gen4 PCIe, it will be a alot faster in Gen4 PCIe M.2 slots and can be used in the PS5

WD_BLACK SN850 will still out perform the P5 in Gen3 PCIe but you can get WD_BLACK SN750 Gen3 PCIe and still outperform this drive
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1548 posts
1587 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: WD_BLACK SN850 are Gen4 PCIe, it will be a alot faster in Gen4 PCIe M.2 slots and can be used in the PS5

WD_BLACK SN850 will still out perform the P5 in Gen3 PCIe but you can get WD_BLACK SN750 Gen3 PCIe and still outperform this drive
Thanks!

I got it for my son’s PS5 for Christmas. That’s good it’s exactly what’s I wanted to hear!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)