Food & Drink

Expired ginger ale and coke Zero. Is it still good?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2018 12:40 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12648 posts
1558 upvotes
Brampton

Expired ginger ale and coke Zero. Is it still good?

They expired December 2017, and March 2018. Both are in cans, about 10 cans each. Is it still safe to drink it? Could it give me food poisoning or upset my stomach?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6152 posts
1996 upvotes
Mississauga
cheapmeister wrote: They expired December 2017, and March 2018. Both are in cans, about 10 cans each. Is it still safe to drink it? Could it give me food poisoning or upset my stomach?
you'll be fine...lol
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19920 posts
6841 upvotes
Toronto
Ducky wrote: you'll be fine...lol
NO! The Gingerale might pass as okay, but not the coke.
Both coke and Pepsi give off a lead (pronounced "led") taste that is really awful when passed the expiry date.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6152 posts
1996 upvotes
Mississauga
playnicee1 wrote: NO! The Gingerale might pass as okay, but not the coke.
Both coke and Pepsi give off a lead (pronounced "led") taste that is really awful when passed the expiry date.
you're thinking too much into it....i don't notice any diff... this whole best before and expiry date topic is overrated...

all stuff, you tell it's bad by either smelling it or look at it... not by numbers...
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19920 posts
6841 upvotes
Toronto
Ducky wrote: you're thinking too much into it....i don't notice any diff... this whole best before and expiry date topic is overrated...

all stuff, you tell it's bad by either smelling it or look at it... not by numbers...
I am not thinking too much into it.
Blindfolded, I can instantly tell the difference between a fresh Pepsi or coke and one that recently passed it's best before or expiry date.
It's a walk in the park for me.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6152 posts
1996 upvotes
Mississauga
playnicee1 wrote: I am not thinking too much into it.
Blindfolded, I can instantly tell the difference between a fresh Pepsi or coke and one that recently passed it's best before or expiry date.
It's a walk in the park for me.
maybe you can... but you don't need to worry about the upset stomach/food poison
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6704 posts
1442 upvotes
Pop doesn't expire. Very few foods/bevvies actually have a true expiry date, beyond which, food safety and nutrition content is not guaranteed.

It's a best before date that affects pop. Only you can decide if *your* tastebuds can discern a taste issue.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
645 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
EH? Lol...

To the o/p:

The expiry dates on beverages are more for the merchandisers.route sales people and on-premise people to keep stock rotated and see what is selling or stalling. Also, to keep seasonal/special labels and old labels being replaced by different branding/remix rotated through on the retail level. SOME beverages do expire and go bad, but those are the ones with dairy in the ingredients. Source: Over a decade and half in the pop and booze beverage industry on the corporate level.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Jun 14, 2017
816 posts
799 upvotes
This stuff is all sugar. I'm sure they're fine to drink.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19920 posts
6841 upvotes
Toronto
willdacanucker wrote: EH? Lol...
As I've said, blindfold me and I can tell the difference right away between fresh pop and something past the date on the can or bottle.
It's a very gross lead taste. (pronounced "led")
If people like pop that tastes that bad, maybe the cola companies should round up all the older pop and re package it as "super classic soda" and see where that goes...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12998 posts
7785 upvotes
Brampton
I actually want to see playnicee1 pass this blind taste test. My money is on them not being able to consistently do it.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1088 upvotes
I don’t know what lead tastes like but expired coke does taste terrible.
If you don’t believe me go to pizza pizza at woodbine and 16th. I got free pop with their survey/coupons and their Coke Zero tastes bitter and foul. I actually thought there was something wrong with it like being heated/cooled over and over from the heat in the summer but I checked the can and it was expired a year ago. I’d assume they still have them because pretty much no one buys canned coke at pizza pizza for $1 each. This was the can, 355ml Coke Zero. Old cans.
Also I looked at the bottom of the can for the expiry date. If that’s not the expiry date then I am mistaken.

Although I doubt you’ll get sick from it
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19920 posts
6841 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote: Although I doubt you’ll get sick from it
I'm not able to declare that I got the runs from drinking old pop. It may have been something else I ate that day that contributed to the cause.
I am being fair about this as best as I can, but it is true that the taste is rotten after the date.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19920 posts
6841 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: Expiry dates are scams.
Tell that to green bread. :twisted:
Dec 8, 2008
417 posts
399 upvotes
Winnipeg
Expiry dates are usually about the packaging of the items and not actual food. Beverage can manufactures will only guarantee their product for x years and often it has nothing to do with the contents.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19920 posts
6841 upvotes
Toronto
marmalade12 wrote: Expiry dates are usually about the packaging of the items and not actual food. Beverage can manufactures will only guarantee their product for x years and often it has nothing to do with the contents.
I love how people are posting comments here without actually drinking an old can or bottle of coke or Pepsi. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3308 upvotes
Out west
playnicee1 wrote: I love how people are posting comments here without actually drinking an old can or bottle of coke or Pepsi. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Ive got pop in my pantry from so many years ago I have no idea how old it is, and its still used. We dont just sit around and drink pop however, used for mix for booze mostly, odd party here and there

If I open it and it still has fizz, who cares. I have beer to thats old in the fridge. I dont keep track, its consumed when its consumed.

Although beer doesnt really last that long.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5995 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: I actually want to see playnicee1 pass this blind taste test. My money is on them not being able to consistently do it.
I'd take you on that bet, only for that poster though. They know their sugary beverages and snacks.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19920 posts
6841 upvotes
Toronto
No Frills wrote: I'd take you on that bet, only for that poster though. They know their sugary beverages and snacks.
If expired cola tastes the same as fresh cola then there is no difference between frozen dessert and real ice cream.