Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Sears

(expires today) extended warranty partial refund from sears home store

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2017 8:44 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I guess losing warranty, extended or regular is just a circumstance of any company going out of business. Ever since they got bankruptcy protection, this was forthcoming.
I cannot imagine any company or organization willing to accept the liability of Sears warranties.

As for their going out of business sales, my Wife and friends went and said there were no deals. Many prices were higher than when they would be during their "Sears Day" sales, yet people were loading up regardless.
The problem is Sears provided their own warranties. Most stores that have extended warranties have them through some kind of underwriter (insurer) which means a lot of times even if the store goes out of business your warranty is still taken care of by that insurer...except for replacements (which the insurer can't provide) you're usually still covered and if something's not repairable they'll probably cut you a cheque (though it may be a pro-rated amount, depending on the terms).

It seems Sears simply sold their own warranty and backed it up themselves. This is probably why they could offer such things as gift card reimbursements at the end of the term, if one never had to use the warranty. Them's the breaks. First off we all know extended warranty is more often than not, not a good buy. Secondly the writing has been on the wall for Sears for some time. Perhaps if you're losing out your 3rd or 4th year of a warranty I can sympathise but if you bought something there recently and didn't even read the terms of the warranty to see if it was underwritten or insured by a 3rd party, or simply thinking this was a good idea with the company going under...I dunno what to tell those ppl.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
woof wrote: That's kind of an hilarious statement. Sears will soon be completely gone from Canada so PR is absolutely worthless to them up here. And as far as the US goes Sears US is on the verge of bankruptcy themselves and will probably soon be gone as well. What good is PR to a dead man walking?
i wasn't aware sears US is closing down too, target US isn't closing anytime soon after their Canadian division closed.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6827 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
US Sears press announcement from 2 months ago:

"Sears Holdings said Thursday that it would close another 28 Kmart locations as it continues its cost-cutting campaign amid a precipitous decline in the department-store sector. ........
The Kmart closures add to a list of 330 Sears or Kmart locations shuttered or set to be closed later this year as the retailer seeks stability."

They're in a death spiral.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
hvwozq wrote: :facepalm: Try suing a dead person.
The dead tell no lies Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)