• Feb 2nd, 2020 7:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13141 posts
2577 upvotes
Vancouver

expiring marriott rewards points?

I have logged in to my marriot rewards account. The program is ending and would like to use my 6500 remaining points to purchase a gift card. The site takes me to US only merchandise.

Does anyone know how I redeem these for merchandise in canada?

Its very few points but might as well use them if I can.

Thanks
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
5511 posts
3514 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
trellaine201 wrote: I have logged in to my marriot rewards account. The program is ending and would like to use my 6500 remaining points to purchase a gift card. The site takes me to US only merchandise.

Does anyone know how I redeem these for merchandise in canada?

Its very few points but might as well use them if I can.

Thanks
Did you mean your points are expiring?
The program is not ending...
Alterna Bank Thread
Stock Thread

TFSA Portfolio: AEM|ATD|BAM.A|BCE|BIP.UN|CCL.B|CNQ|CNR|CTC.A|ENB|FCD.UN|FN|FTS|FTT|GSY|IFC|IMO|MFC|MG|MRU|NA|NET.UN|SJ|T
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37058 posts
23028 upvotes
Center of Universe
Transfer to SPG.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13141 posts
2577 upvotes
Vancouver
Oh sorry. Points are expiring. I haven’t had the CC for years. Maybe we can’t buy merchandise in Canada?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20944 posts
19225 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Marriott Points expire after 24 months of inactivity
SPG Points expire after 12 months of inactivity

Easiest way to keep your account active is to just purchase points in the program where they are expiring
Usually the minimum Points purchase will run you around $ 20 or so US

Alternatively, if you have points in BOTH Programs transfer the expiring points to the other program
(First you have to link both your accounts)

SPG Points are worth 3x as much as Marriott
So if you have 12,000 Marriott, and 3,000 SPG ... in the Marriott Program combined points would be 21,000 Marriott Points
12,000 + (3,000 x 3) = 21,000

The same amounts in the SPG Program would be worth ... 7,000 SPG Points
(12,000 / 3) + 3,000 = 7,000

If you then have enough to book a stay in the future do so. As long as you’ve booked a stay (and actually use it your Points are safe)

But if you cannot commit for sure, then the easiest thing is just buy some points to add to the ones you already have that are about to expire

All of this is also laid out on the 2 websites... with an explanation of RESTRICTIONS (ie SPG let’s you cancel a booking... and not lose your Points... BUT Marriott does not... the points would go back to the EXPIRED / GONE Category)

PS... I am in this exact same boat. I have some Points that are about to expire as well. Currently looking at my options between now and April 30th. If I cannot DEFINITELY steal a night away, I plan to just buy some points, to keep my account active, and the points I have already earned. Cause the truth is they are worth something to me (hard earned vacation money previously spent). So I don’t want to lose them. Plus Hotel Rooms are not just the only options... both Programs offer alternative items you can cash your Points in for (lower threshold). But hotel stays are always my preferred choice
Last edited by PointsHubby on Mar 25th, 2018 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2461 posts
1256 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
If you earn points through say spg amex.. does that count towards "active"?
This space for rent.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20944 posts
19225 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TheImp wrote: If you earn points through say spg amex.. does that count towards "active"?
I believe it would in the SPG Program according to the T&Cs regarding to forfeiting Points, and the definition of activity / inactivity:
4.2 Forfeiting Starpoints. Starpoints earned or otherwise obtained by an SPG Member will forfeit without notice if the SPG Member becomes Inactive. An SPG Member is considered "Inactive" if during a 12-month period: (a) the SPG Member has not had a Stay at an SPG Participating Hotel; (b) the SPG Member has not earned or redeemed any Starpoints; or (c) the SPG Member's account has been cancelled. The forfeiture of Starpoints does not apply to SPG Members who have achieved SPG Lifetime Gold or SPG Lifetime Platinum Status, as well as Vistana Owners to whom the obligations in Section 11 apply.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferre ... uage=en_US

Now if one was inquiring in regards to Marriott Rewards, as the case of the OP... then of course SPG Amex activity would only be helpful if one transferred some of the SPG Points Earned into their Marriott Rewards Account as I outlined above in Reply # 5

Because although the two Rewards Programs can share Points thru Transfer... they still are seperate when it comes to earning and staying active.

EDIT / ADD - WTF, don’t know what’s happening with the link. Worked perfectly fine when I originally posted it.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Mar 26th, 2018 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 17, 2018
285 posts
208 upvotes
TheImp wrote: If you earn points through say spg amex.. does that count towards "active"?
Not for Marriott, but you can always move some points to Marriott. Once you do that you have reset the timer on your Marriott account.
Apr 7, 2007
226 posts
71 upvotes
ontario
Reviving an old thread. I got 12k points that expire in February.

Is their something I can buy online to keep the account active? I'll be doing a big trip in March that will add more points but my existing points expire by then...
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19547 posts
12625 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
tribute4 wrote: Reviving an old thread. I got 12k points that expire in February.

Is their something I can buy online to keep the account active? I'll be doing a big trip in March that will add more points but my existing points expire by then...
You can try to book a room for sometime in the Summer on points and then cancel the room after your big trip in March which should refund those points back into your account. And since you added more points in March, the inactivity issue shouldn't be an issue.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20944 posts
19225 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
tribute4 wrote: Reviving an old thread. I got 12k points that expire in February.

With the NEW Marriott Bonvoy Program
The inactivity clause = 24 Consecutive Months

Here’s how to maintain activity, as per the T&Cs
1.6.d. Points Expiration Policy. Members must remain active in the Loyalty Program to retain Points they accumulate. If a Member Account is inactive for twenty-four (24) consecutive months, that Member Account will forfeit all accumulated Points. Members can remain active in the Loyalty Program and retain accumulated Points by earning Points or Miles in the Loyalty Program or redeeming Points in the Loyalty Program at least once every twenty-four (24) months, subject to the exceptions described below. If a Member does not maintain an active status for five (5) consecutive years, the Member’s Account may be deactivated. Once Points are forfeited, the Points cannot be reinstated, but a Member can earn new Points, unless that Member’s Account has been deactivated.

i. Not all Points activities help maintain active status in the Loyalty Program. The following activities do not count toward maintaining an active status in the Loyalty Program:

A. Gifting or transferring Points; however, converting Points to Miles or Miles to Points does count toward maintaining an active status;

B. Receiving Points as a gift or transfer; or

C. Earning Points through social media programs, such as #MarriottBonvoyPoints.

ii. Awards redeemed by a Member prior to Point forfeiture are still valid even though the Award may not yet have been fulfilled at the time of Point forfeiture.

iii. The Points expiration policy does not currently affect Points in a Lifetime Elite Membership Account; however, the Loyalty Program may choose to apply a Points expiration policy to Lifetime Elite Membership Accounts in the future.

iv. Points issued or earned through Vistana, including, without limitation, tour incentives, purchase incentives, Marriott Bonvoy Conversion, sweepstakes and other giveaway prizes, will expire six (6) years following the date they are deposited into a Member’s Account, regardless of Member activity. All such Points or any portion thereof, which have not been redeemed by their six (6) year expiration period, will be forfeited without notice.
Personally we’d never redeem for anything ... just because the clock is ticking
We redeem when we want to ... not when we have to

With most Hotel Loyalty Programs ... it makes far more sense just to buy a few points to keep the account active For another 24 months
This is especially true ... if you know you have an upcoming stay with that Hotel Chain or Group

Have to admit I am not 100% up to speed on Marriott Bonvoy since it launched to amalgamate the Marriott Rewards Program with the old SPG one

But if it’s like all the other Hotel Loyalty Programs ...
They still count Points Purchases as qualifying activity
(You could call & ask)
At any rate
It’s 1000 Bonvoy Points for $ 12.50 US (Small price to pay)
And you can buy in 1000 Increments
see the Marriott Bonvoy website for more info
https://www.marriott.com
Apr 7, 2007
226 posts
71 upvotes
ontario
Ended up calling them and they gave me an additional 12 months
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20944 posts
19225 upvotes