• Jul 6th, 2020 6:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4633 upvotes
Montréal

expiry date food tracker app?

Any recommendations? I've been playing around w some and had the misconception? that once the barcode of the product is scanned, then it should know what it is...but I assume it can't possibly know the expiry date as that varies, right? Or is the scanner used so that for future purchases of the same thing they will know what it is...?

I've downloaded 3 or 4 of them and so far "Expired & Grocery Monitor" seems the best. Any advice and/or experience from ppl that looked into this...?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28890 posts
14429 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: I assume it can't possibly know the expiry date as that varies, right?
I haven't tried the app, but I would imagine that it just estimates based on what the product is.
So if you scan milk today, it puts it at 2 weeks regardless of what the date listed is.

I don't know about anyone else, but I bought a price gun off eBay and just tag the purchase date.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21002 posts
5507 upvotes
Poormond Hill
You will need to input the date you bought it and the Best Before Date listed in the product. The app only notifies you when the BB date is approaching.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4633 upvotes
Montréal
I've tried this and went through the chore of input all my food items. I think that I (and perhaps many others) had a misconception of the scanner ftn. I assumed that once scanned, it would bring up the item's details but in hindsight, that's silly, a code could be made to be attached to anything, right? The tech is not that amazing/invasive yet.

Anyway, I found that app pretty darn useful, I scanned it, inputted the food details, took a pic, so next time I buy the same thing, when I scan the new item, it will bring up the exact same file but I only need to update the expiry date.

I now don't have to worry about forgetting what foods are about to expire as it lists in chronological order and you can set alarms on # days pre-warning, but also in location or name orders too. So, 2 thumbs up from me, unless you guys can find an even better app.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28890 posts
14429 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: I assumed that once scanned, it would bring up the item's details but in hindsight, that's silly, a code could be made to be attached to anything, right? The tech is not that amazing/invasive yet.
Depends on who wrote the app.
A UPC code definitely is item specific.
https://www.upcdatabase.com/itemform.asp
But buying access rights to the database costs money.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4633 upvotes
Montréal
death_hawk wrote: Depends on who wrote the app.
A UPC code definitely is item specific.
https://www.upcdatabase.com/itemform.asp
But buying access rights to the database costs money.
For sure it's item-specific. I just had the mistaken notion that using these apps, it would scan and then the item's info will automatically pop up. In reality, I'm the one filling in the details of the scan code for future use...so maybe someone should pay me for my database lol.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49391 posts
12933 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
sandikosh wrote: You will need to input the date you bought it and the Best Before Date listed in the product. The app only notifies you when the BB date is approaching.
Thats kinda handy...
New problem. You ignore the alert and end up with a collection of 10 sauces and condiments. Including a toronto blue jays world series champions bottle of mustard.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)