Automotive

Extended comprehensive warranty on Pre-owned Nissan???

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 2:34 pm
[OP]
Apr 22, 2020
210 posts
280 upvotes
Alberta

Extended comprehensive warranty on Pre-owned Nissan???

Hello all، looking for some advise on extended warranty. I pulled the trigger on a used 2020 Rogue (17k kms, Certified Pre-owned). Since its CPO the warranty for power train gets bumped to 120k/6yrs while the comprehensive (bumper to bumper) stays at 60k/3yr.

I was offered to extend the comprehensive warranty so it matches the power train at 120k/6yr for the total cost of $2200 (they discounted $300 since i bundled it with 3M apparently). Given its a preowned i decided to get it but now im not sure if its really worth it. I'll be picking up the SUV in the next couple days, so I may be able to change my mind until then.

What are you thoughts on the warranty? Is it worth it? Thanks!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1178 posts
1056 upvotes
Good luck with the dealer giving you one penny back.

Also why didn't you ask this question BEFORE signing and paying for the extended warranty.

And even with your comprehensive add on warranty when you take it to the dealer and they can't find broken parts to replace they will still charge you.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31759 posts
18686 upvotes
Toronto
... simply Business mgr is good in his/her job of selling, dangle a few % discount as package deal in front of you and once you expressed interest, he/she will want to go for the kill and to close the deal before you have a chance to rethink
[OP]
Apr 22, 2020
210 posts
280 upvotes
Alberta
George613 wrote: Good luck with the dealer giving you one penny back.

Also why didn't you ask this question BEFORE signing and paying for the extended warranty.

And even with your comprehensive add on warranty when you take it to the dealer and they can't find broken parts to replace they will still charge you.
Yes it would of been ideal to do some research before hand, lesson learned. But that said, im more curious to know why extended comprehensive warranty isn't worth it? Have you had experience with dealers choosing not to fix something even under warranty?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1178 posts
1056 upvotes
Lemonsquash wrote: Have you had experience with dealers choosing not to fix something even under warranty?
If something is actually broken and it is broken when they look at it, AND it's not considered a wear item then ya they fix it.

Adjustments (which is service and diagnostics for things that don't have identified broken parts or the fix does not involve parts replacement) squeaks and rattles + + + are not covered beyond a certain point (1 yr).

Maybe things have changed I haven't bought new in a while.

The dealer charges customers a much higher parts and labour rate for non warranty work compared to what they receive from the manufacturer for warranty work.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6575 posts
4105 upvotes
Toronto
If its real bumper to bumper for 120k or 6yrs, rest assured when you bring in your ride to Nissan after 3rd year, they won't charge you inspection fees or diagnostic fee(probably will). But most likely it's just cover few items like the engine and transmission. Since you already paid, have look at what's covered and what's not and don't believe the sale rep that its comprehensive or bumper to bumper coverage like you were told.

Do your due diligence next time and don't sign if you want to ask further questions. Kinda defeats the purpose asking after signing and paying the deposit.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2035 posts
1301 upvotes
Durham
$2200 is cheap! If it is in fact comprehensive, I wouldn't hesitate taking the extended. Especially with Nissan's track record lately.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6791 posts
2557 upvotes
BC
The real question is:

whose name is behind the warranty extension? I doubt it is Nissan or the dealership.

Probably a 3rd party, so what you need is some feedback from people with experience making claims on such a warranty with that particular company.

The price does seem reasonable, but that likely means there are various ways they can deny what you think are straightforward repair jobs.

Is it good for repairs at any Nissan dealership in N. America?

What happens if you decide to sell before the 4th year? Or if the vehicle gets written off in a crash?

As already noted, too late now, so just enjoy the presumed extra protection you have while getting the best out of your near-new Rogue.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2020
210 posts
280 upvotes
Alberta
George613 wrote:
macnut wrote:
Thanks everyone, this is actually the information I was looking for to better educate myself on the details I need to pay attention to. I gave the Finance manager a call this morning and he clarified a number of things for me:
- there are no issues with opting out of the warranty as long as I notify him 24hrs prior to pickup. So I've got another day before making the final call.
- the warranty is truly comprehensive (bumper to bumper) and directly from Nissan so its not 3rd party. This means that roadside assistance is also extended to the 120k/6yr
- there is no deductible for repairs and there is also no limit to the cost of the repair
- it is transferable (there is a fee of $99-$250 depending on how much is left)
- in a situation where the Rogue is a total loss, they will rebate the amount left of warranty (not sure how they calculate this but I assume its whatever years are left minus what was used)

Now with knowing this information I am leaning towards keeping it, but am still open to hearing what your thoughts are.
Kkhan15 wrote: $2200 is cheap! If it is in fact comprehensive, I wouldn't hesitate taking the extended. Especially with Nissan's track record lately.
That was mainly why I'm leaning towards the warranty. I do love the Rogue but im a little worried about some of the issues other's have had with their older Rogue's. I guess if i don't use the warranty at all after 6yrs its $2200 just for the piece of mind?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1137 posts
1472 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
Well I guess you are all set...enjoy the ride!!
Lemonsquash wrote: Thanks everyone, this is actually the information I was looking for to better educate myself on the details I need to pay attention to. I gave the Finance manager a call this morning and he clarified a number of things for me:
- there are no issues with opting out of the warranty as long as I notify him 24hrs prior to pickup. So I've got another day before making the final call.
- the warranty is truly comprehensive (bumper to bumper) and directly from Nissan so its not 3rd party. This means that roadside assistance is also extended to the 120k/6yr
- there is no deductible for repairs and there is also no limit to the cost of the repair
- it is transferable (there is a fee of $99-$250 depending on how much is left)
- in a situation where the Rogue is a total loss, they will rebate the amount left of warranty (not sure how they calculate this but I assume its whatever years are left minus what was used)

Now with knowing this information I am leaning towards keeping it, but am still open to hearing what your thoughts are.

That was mainly why I'm leaning towards the warranty. I do love the Rogue but im a little worried about some of the issues other's have had with their older Rogue's. I guess if i don't use the warranty at all after 6yrs its $2200 just for the piece of mind?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1178 posts
1056 upvotes
The question you have to ask yourself is whether you think this car will need $2200 in repairs in years 4, 5 and 6 that are NOT major components (that is already covered).

Personally I would keep the $2200 and pay for repairs as needed.

I bought a 5 year old low mileage civic 5 years ago and my expenses have been tires, brakes, battery. None of these expenses are warranty anyways (maybe the battery possibly but that is $100 and can be self installed or installed by a friend if you can't). I do have some surface rust I should get fixed (also not covered by extended warranty and by now my car is 10 years old). I've also replaced the coolant 2 years ago.

How important is peace of mind for you?

That is the $2200 question. I would use that money and buy Michelin Xice3 tires and dedicated steel wheels which you will need anyways.