Extended Warranty for Used Honda Accord

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2019 9:53 am
[OP]
Sep 28, 2017
4 posts

Extended Warranty for Used Honda Accord

Hello,

I found an Accord 2015 Sport made 90,000 KM, it is in a very good condition. Warrany will end at 100K or June 2020.

Sale price is for CAD $15500+tax, I think it is a good deal, but they offer me extened comperhensive warranty for $2500+tax till 160K or June 2022 ( whichever is sooner).

My Question, should buy the extended warranty? or I should be confident in the quality of Honda Accord?!

Thanks
A
13 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4272 posts
1164 upvotes
Who is offering the warranty and what's covered?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2411 posts
1311 upvotes
The 2015's were pretty uneventful unscheduled maintenance-wise, and there's certainly enough of them out there, that are used far more heavily than just 90k km's over the past 4-5 years, from which such an opinion could be formed. I find it hard to believe you'd have over $2500 of repairs that would fall under such a warranty. Routine maintenance items, such as brake pads may very well have to be changed before 160k depending on severity of use, but usually an extended warranty would not cover 'wear' items.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2411 posts
1311 upvotes
amr1001 wrote: by Honda.ca and it includes road assistance, more details at this link https://www.honda.ca/owners/warranty/ho ... d-warranty

but they do not cover 'Wear' items such as brake pads
https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/9th ... ods.69694/

The "Problems" listing seems pretty uneventful. Chances are, it'll need a battery as well if its on the original factory battery, but again, a 51R battery can't be more than a hundred bucks, and they're dead simple to change, even if you pay someone...

Roadside assistance, don't you get that for free with credit cards these days?

If the "Sport" is a V6, it'll need a timing belt, but I think that's at 172k km's so outside the T&C of even the Honda extended warranty. And that'd be a maintenance item anyways, not even covered.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2411 posts
1311 upvotes
Budget for a new set of tyres as well if its still on the factory originals. Which it may very well be at 90k km's.
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51719 posts
16224 upvotes
For $2k I would consider it. Because it is below 100k, you may able to shop around for the best price.

Compressor alone is $2k if it conks out.

Mine broke past my eight year Honda warranty and it was an 11 model. After market compressor is cheap but probably won't last as long.

No Honda Sensing though so fewer things to break. DI engine with CVT so...
Jul 19, 2004
962 posts
270 upvotes
Vancouver
Probably not. They are cheap to fix unlike European brands so I don't think you'd get close to the value of it.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2411 posts
1311 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Compressor alone is $2k if it conks out.
I see tons of brand new Denso compressors (the OEM mfg) for $300-$400 USD$. Even with crazy Canadian mark-ups, I don't see that being more than $1000. And AC compressors don't fail that often. Especially not in Canada where the duty cycles aren't particularly high.

Of course, if a compressor has to be replaced, the dryer probably should as well, and new oil and refrigerant would be required.
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51719 posts
16224 upvotes
burnt69 wrote: I see tons of brand new Denso compressors (the OEM mfg) for $300-$400 USD$. Even with crazy Canadian mark-ups, I don't see that being more than $1000. And AC compressors don't fail that often. Especially not in Canada where the duty cycles aren't particularly high.

Of course, if a compressor has to be replaced, the dryer probably should as well, and new oil and refrigerant would be required.
Good to know. Didn't know Denso's were that cheap.

The DI engine without port injection and the CVT should much longer past 2022, correct?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2411 posts
1311 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Good to know. Didn't know Denso's were that cheap.

The DI engine without port injection and the CVT should much longer past 2022, correct?
Not seeing any meaningful complaints on the "driveaccord" forum concerning the drivetrain, and lots of those people are well over 100k miles on them.

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/the- ... .86/page-6

Looks like very random stuff... Okay, 1 in 1000 might need a new starter or alternator early, or key fob here and there, or an A/C compressor, but there's no glaring problems being reported by the posters to that forum. I know my 2005 Accord has basically been flawless as well over the first 160-170k. With just a minor problem with the air conditioning compressor's electrical system which I ordered parts to repair recently ($5 worth of parts from China!).
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51719 posts
16224 upvotes
burnt69 wrote: Not seeing any meaningful complaints on the "driveaccord" forum concerning the drivetrain, and lots of those people are well over 100k miles on them.

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/the- ... .86/page-6

Looks like very random stuff... Okay, 1 in 1000 might need a new starter or alternator early, or key fob here and there, or an A/C compressor, but there's no glaring problems being reported by the posters to that forum. I know my 2005 Accord has basically been flawless as well over the first 160-170k. With just a minor problem with the air conditioning compressor's electrical system which I ordered parts to repair recently ($5 worth of parts from China!).
True. Most issues with CVT were in the 2013's.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4027 posts
712 upvotes
Save your money . Go to a mechanic spend the hours labor have them look the car over .
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
1710 posts
890 upvotes
In my opinion if extended warranty is more than 10% of the cost of the vehicle forget it.
For 1500.00 it might be good.