Home & Garden

Extending LG Dryer plug cord but with non-standard terminal connectors?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2018 8:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 25, 2011
85 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto

Extending LG Dryer plug cord but with non-standard terminal connectors?

Hi there,

does anyone know where I can find a longer dryer plug cord, but with these type of terminal connectors shown in the picture?

They are not the standard circular or spade connectors. The dryer is a new LG model.

I'd preferred to not have to hack/splice them up.

[IMG]http://oi41.tinypic.com/11w50xy.jpg[/IMG]
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
78 upvotes
Etobicoke
Check with AP Wagner on the Queensway and Stanfield.
Have your serial No. ready when you call. ;)
The only place you're going to find a helping hand, is at he end of your own wrist. Joe Mondello
Nov 24, 2002
892 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
something is not right here.

All electric dryers must have the same connector, it's standard. Does it have a plug that converts that cord to the 3 prong 220V one? Because you should be able to find standard dryer extension cords. The cord I see in the picture seems to be a motor cord, and is the way the dryer connects inside the machine (think power supply connectors inside your desktop PC vs PC outlet cable)
[OP]
Oct 25, 2011
85 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
leonk wrote: something is not right here.

All electric dryers must have the same connector, it's standard. Does it have a plug that converts that cord to the 3 prong 220V one? Because you should be able to find standard dryer extension cords. The cord I see in the picture seems to be a motor cord, and is the way the dryer connects inside the machine (think power supply connectors inside your desktop PC vs PC outlet cable)
The picture is of the terminal block end or the dryer end of the cord. The actual "wall" plug is the standard 4-plug.

A dryer extension cord would solve my problem but I don't think they exist AFAIK.
[OP]
Oct 25, 2011
85 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Techhead wrote: Check with AP Wagner on the Queensway and Stanfield.
Have your serial No. ready when you call. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately they did not have the LG specific connector.

I think dryer extensions or longs cords are not to building code for 220v/20A.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1023 posts
460 upvotes
Is moving the location of the dryer plug on the wall an option?
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
78 upvotes
Etobicoke
fatkiid wrote: Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately they did not have the LG specific connector.

I think dryer extensions or longs cords are not to building code for 220v/20A.

If you by one that is 10 or 8 gauge, not an issue.

They make extension cords for weldiers. I know beause I use one.
As long as it is rated for 220V and wire gauge is correct, I don't see why you can't buy or make one.
The only place you're going to find a helping hand, is at he end of your own wrist. Joe Mondello
Jan 22, 2017
48 posts
30 upvotes
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I am at a loss and this is the only reference to my issue I can find on the net. The power cord for the LG dryer (DLE1310W) was damaged and I was surprised to find that it does not appear to have a terminal block, and instead has some sort of proprietary LG connection. I can not find a single reference to this type of power cord connection anywhere. In fact the DLE1310W's user guide makes reference to a standard terminal block. If anyone could provide any assistance on the matter I would be obliged. Pics below to help.
IMG_20170709_161821.jpg
IMG_20170709_161751.jpg
Nov 15, 2015
168 posts
108 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
I've seen dryer extension cords at HD and CT. You could always cut the terminals off and use marrettes for the connections
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4678 posts
4381 upvotes
Toronto
Weato37 wrote: Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I am at a loss and this is the only reference to my issue I can find on the net. The power cord for the LG dryer (DLE1310W) was damaged and I was surprised to find that it does not appear to have a terminal block, and instead has some sort of proprietary LG connection. I can not find a single reference to this type of power cord connection anywhere. In fact the DLE1310W's user guide makes reference to a standard terminal block. If anyone could provide any assistance on the matter I would be obliged. Pics below to help.

IMG_20170709_161821.jpgIMG_20170709_161751.jpg
Is the "damage" the green deposits on one of the prongs? Just sand/scrape it off. It's probably keeping the prong from making good contact.
Jan 22, 2017
48 posts
30 upvotes
I appreciate the suggestion, but the prong has been corroded down to the thickness of tinfoil and is rather melted at the base.

(Yes the outlet has been replaced)
Oct 10, 2017
117 posts
31 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
Weato37 wrote: Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I am at a loss and this is the only reference to my issue I can find on the net. The power cord for the LG dryer (DLE1310W) was damaged and I was surprised to find that it does not appear to have a terminal block, and instead has some sort of proprietary LG connection. I can not find a single reference to this type of power cord connection anywhere. In fact the DLE1310W's user guide makes reference to a standard terminal block. If anyone could provide any assistance on the matter I would be obliged. Pics below to help.

IMG_20170709_161821.jpgIMG_20170709_161751.jpg
Having the same issue myself trying to find this cord with its proprietary ends. Did you have any luck finding a replacement?
Nov 30, 2006
296 posts
141 upvotes
I just bought a DLEX3370V. Same issue. In the stack position, dryer cord is not long enough. My unit has the same plastic quick connectors inside.

I was going to buy a 10ft cord and wire it in, but when I opened the back of the unit and saw what I was working with, no bueno. I called LG, they were no help.

I'lll just buy a 1.5M dryer cord and wire NEMA 14-30R surface mount box. Not the cleanest solution, but it will work.

EDIT - The other way to do this, would be to buy a new dryer cord, IE. 10ft. Remove the OEM 6 ft cable. Cut off the 3 plastic connector ends about 5 inches from the plastic connectors then either marette/solder the wires back together. Then heat shrink / electrical tape as required. The issue with this is the vibration from the dryer could case an issue on that connection if not done right.

For me, since I don't really feel like compromising the electrical thats hiddein in the J box of the back of the dryer, I'll just do a short wall extension.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)