Home & Garden

Exterior door with 2 key locks, want to make it just one but home depo does not sell outdoor door knob with no lock

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2022 8:45 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8483 posts
2926 upvotes
0 downvotes

Exterior door with 2 key locks, want to make it just one but home depo does not sell outdoor door knob with no lock

i have a door with 2 key locks on it, one lock on the bottom knob, and one lock on the dead bolt, i do NOT need two, becaues some times someone will accidentally lock both and if we give someone the key they need the other key and lets just say its not a scenario i want.

i went to home depo to buy the door knob with no lock for outside but they dont sell it they want to sell me a closet or bedroom door knob, but its only rated for interior but it has no lock on it,

i swear ive seen a door knob with no lock on it rated for exterior and they use the dead bolt, but no one sells it at big box stores they want you to buy the garbage they sell

and the ones they do sell are for front doors with the fancy toggle handles or what ever theyre called i dont need that for a backyard
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8363 posts
4592 upvotes
Durham
GoodFellaz wrote: i have a door with 2 key locks on it, one lock on the bottom knob, and one lock on the dead bolt, i do NOT need two, becaues some times someone will accidentally lock both and if we give someone the key they need the other key and lets just say its not a scenario i want.

i went to home depo to buy the door knob with no lock for outside but they dont sell it they want to sell me a closet or bedroom door knob, but its only rated for interior but it has no lock on it,

i swear ive seen a door knob with no lock on it rated for exterior and they use the dead bolt, but no one sells it at big box stores they want you to buy the garbage they sell

and the ones they do sell are for front doors with the fancy toggle handles or what ever theyre called i dont need that for a backyard
Simple fix. Change it.

Buy this: https://www.lowes.ca/product/handlesets ... ass-146556

And if you want a deadbolt for the TOP ... simple ... buy a deadbolt ( https://www.lowes.ca/product/deadbolts/ ... ass-320682 ) and don't use the single one that comes with the set.

You can find similar coloured ones if you look.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9313 posts
5564 upvotes
Just get a regular knob, with no lock. They're all the same, only difference between them is locking/not locking.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8483 posts
2926 upvotes
0 downvotes
Are you kidding me? they are not the same, there are 4 categories of door knobs, it even tells you in the store. one is outdoor knob, it has a keyhole, it looks really durable, then there is indoor, it has no keyhole, but its not the same it looks less durable, then there is the bathroom/bedroom one it has a lock but it can be opened by a screw driver from the outside, then there is the toggle one for the front door, it has no lock because well duh, the deadbolt is the lock.

Someone to say "get a regular knob with no lock, they're all the same" is kind of making an assumption and not really providing helpful knowledge because they definitely are NOT the same, I also said I am NOT getting a toggle handle, nope, a big hard no for me, if someone does not want something, its best to respect their decision and try to help as best as possible instead of trying to convince them.
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2759 posts
1825 upvotes
GTA
Any particular reason why you're hellbent on NOT having a toggle handle?

You're right that the big box stores don't sell exterior grade door knobs without locks, because that's not the "normal" thing in the market.

You could simply disable the lock on the knob and ONLY use the deadbolt to lock the door: https://www.instructables.com/Prevent-Y ... g-You-Out/
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8483 posts
2926 upvotes
0 downvotes
I would have to drill a hole in the door for the bottom of the handle to bolt into and do not feel like doing that, and besides, the boss really does not want one either and she's the boss so I have to do what she wants plus I also do not want one so we both don't want one so that is why.

I guess I will just look for a commercial grade exterior door knob with no lock instead of using one made for an interior door. they exist
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
4373 posts
2499 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I’m assuming this is for a back/side door rather than front door, so those large ones won’t fit properly?

Look for a deadbolt and lever/knob combo set.

https://www.lowes.ca/search?query=Deadb ... ore%3Adesc

Eg: https://www.lowes.ca/product/handlesets ... kel-615861

Or

https://www.lowes.ca/product/door-knobs ... kel-147761

If you buy the combo set it doesn’t matter whether one or both have a keyhole as they’ll both be openable with the same key.

Loads of them available and very common. Not sure why some are saying they aren’t.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17816 upvotes
GTA, ON
Do they both use the same category/type of key?
Maybe bring the barrels to a locksmith and have them reset them to the same key?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12692 posts
7858 upvotes
Paris
GoodFellaz wrote: Are you kidding me? they are not the same, there are 4 categories of door knobs, it even tells you in the store. one is outdoor knob, it has a keyhole, it looks really durable, then there is indoor, it has no keyhole, but its not the same it looks less durable
As a door guy, passage knobs and “outdoor rated” knobs are the same thing save for the extra security feature in the latch itself. Get a passage knob for what you are doing. That’s exactly what I have on my backyard French doors since 2008ish, and on my garage door to outside. Also same thing on the cottage garage doors to outside since 2010ish.

Also, there is no such thing as a durable handle set anymore. They are all trash until you get away from any name sold in a box store (even their “locksmith/door company exclusives” are trash)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8483 posts
2926 upvotes
0 downvotes
ok good to know and to everyone, i mentioned this is my backyard door in the first post did u guys not read? "and the ones they do sell are for front doors with the fancy toggle handles or what ever theyre called i dont need that for a backyard"
Drive an Escalade
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9313 posts
5564 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: Are you kidding me? they are not the same, there are 4 categories of door knobs, it even tells you in the store. one is outdoor knob, it has a keyhole, it looks really durable, then there is indoor, it has no keyhole, but its not the same it looks less durable, then there is the bathroom/bedroom one it has a lock but it can be opened by a screw driver from the outside, then there is the toggle one for the front door, it has no lock because well duh, the deadbolt is the lock.

Someone to say "get a regular knob with no lock, they're all the same" is kind of making an assumption and not really providing helpful knowledge because they definitely are NOT the same, I also said I am NOT getting a toggle handle, nope, a big hard no for me, if someone does not want something, its best to respect their decision and try to help as best as possible instead of trying to convince them.
Lol, I'm not kidding you. Passage knobs and locking knobs are the same, except for the locking part. Not assuming anything...smh...
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2371 posts
495 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

If both door locks use the same style of key, why don't you get the rogue lock re-pinned to the common key?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2892 posts
2228 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@GoodFellaz As others have mentioned the only difference in handsets between the interior and exterior is the quality of the key way, Now, if you want to go the true RFD way then all you have to do is to remove the key-way cylinder and then remove all the pins and springs from that key-way. Here is one You Tube video that covers four different types of handsets; no need for a special tool, a flat head screwdriver and maybe a needle pick of some sort is all that is required. Once you remove the actual cylinder you will see a brass plate on the top, remove that plate and all the pins and springs will drop out. Put the cylinder back in the handle and then any key will unlock that knob/handle. No need to buy a new handle.

#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5361 posts
4957 upvotes
Toronto
This and pretty much every lockset combo out there do not have a locking 'knob', just the deadbolt.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/weiser ... 1001391103

On my rear door, I used an interior knob and a deadbolt. 20 years and it looks like new and is not protected from the weather.

Don't overthink this - buy the knob you like and install it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8483 posts
2926 upvotes
0 downvotes
rcmpvet wrote: @GoodFellaz As others have mentioned the only difference in handsets between the interior and exterior is the quality of the key way, Now, if you want to go the true RFD way then all you have to do is to remove the key-way cylinder and then remove all the pins and springs from that key-way. Here is one You Tube video that covers four different types of handsets; no need for a special tool, a flat head screwdriver and maybe a needle pick of some sort is all that is required. Once you remove the actual cylinder you will see a brass plate on the top, remove that plate and all the pins and springs will drop out. Put the cylinder back in the handle and then any key will unlock that knob/handle. No need to buy a new handle.

it would have been nice if he removed the keyhole and replaced it with a blank plate instead. much cleaner.
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
4373 posts
2499 upvotes
Calgary, AB
GoodFellaz wrote: ok good to know and to everyone, i mentioned this is my backyard door in the first post did u guys not read? "and the ones they do sell are for front doors with the fancy toggle handles or what ever theyre called i dont need that for a backyard"
Check the links I provided. They are for back doors, not fronts.

Eg. https://www.lowes.ca/product/handlesets ... lsrc=aw.ds
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8483 posts
2926 upvotes
0 downvotes
thanks, i have dead bolt already so i will just replace the knob only, no point changing dead bolt when i have one already, rite? rfd'ers save money so why spend money on something i dont need rite?
Drive an Escalade

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)