• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 12:06 pm
[OP]
Jun 7, 2019
29 posts
34 upvotes

Exterior and Fireplace bricks

Hi,

I was hoping someone could provide some information on why the exterior bricks (veneer) and fireplace bricks look like this. Please see the image.

It is a 30 year old house. Is it normal? This doesn't look right to me, especially considering all other houses on this street have smoother texture bricks.
Could there be some serious hidden issue? Should I consult a professional?

Thanks.
Images
  • 0.jpg
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9423 posts
4881 upvotes
Paris
Its the type of brick.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4701 posts
1145 upvotes
It's been standing for 30 years. I think you'll be alright.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5628 posts
3394 upvotes
Looks like normal bricks to me. Do you have a photo of the “smooth” bricks you are referring to?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1306 posts
503 upvotes
I've seen those type of bricks. Nothing out of the ordinary here. There are a zillion types of styles of bricks. As long as they aren't crumbling or cracked, they're fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9423 posts
4881 upvotes
Paris
My neighbour's house from 2000 is built with those bricks and my house inspector said they cost more than the ones my house was built with when I bought as a second owner of my 2000 built place in 2007. He said our neighbourhood was built by a few home builders and the one that built my house was known for using cheaper materials on stuff like bricks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5628 posts
3394 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote: I've seen those type of bricks. Nothing out of the ordinary here. There are a zillion types of styles of bricks. As long as they aren't crumbling or cracked, they're fine.
Yep. And depending on whatever the trend of the day is/was those style of bricks may even have been a builder “premium” upgrade over smooth bricks. Who knows.
[OP]
Jun 7, 2019
29 posts
34 upvotes
Thanks everyone for your responses. That's what I initially thought it was, the style of brick and probably age of the house. But as I looked at them more and more, I kept getting more worried. I thought may be it was deterioration rather than a style.
fdl wrote: Looks like normal bricks to me. Do you have a photo of the “smooth” bricks you are referring to?
I meant bricks like ones in this image.
Images
  • 24.jpg