• Oct 4th, 2020 9:20 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1082 posts
241 upvotes
Vaughan

Exterior Outlets not working

Hoping for some help here before I call an electrician. Both my exterior outlets are not working. All the switches to my panel are turned on and both exterior outlets have a light on top which work fine (I'm just assuming they are on the same breaker as light above but I could be wrong. I took the face plate out, took the outlet out half way and touched the hot (black) wire with my Klein Voltage tester. It was green and therefore had no electricity. I'm extremely confused. Could the hot wire be busted leaving an exposed wire in between the wall? The outlet was working fine about two months ago and I'm certain all the switches (which there are none) are turned out.

also my breaker panel has a switch beside it labeled Ext. GFI.? Any idea what this might control?

I've left pictures for reference.
Images
  • IMG_20201003_162446.jpg
  • IMG_20201003_162823.jpg
  • IMG_20201003_163439.jpg
9 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15972 posts
4817 upvotes
London
Ext gfi - press the reset button
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1082 posts
241 upvotes
Vaughan
l69norm wrote: Ext gfi - press the reset button
omg thank you! i hit the reset button before and the light on the switch turned off. i thought it needed to stay on so i hit the test button again to turn the light on the switch back on.. that must have turned it off again. so no light means on! got it!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1082 posts
241 upvotes
Vaughan
l69norm wrote: Ext gfi - press the reset button
one question. what's the difference between the breaker panel #26 and the switch on the side?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9442 posts
4886 upvotes
Paris
otaknap wrote: one question. what's the difference between the breaker panel #26 and the switch on the side?
#26 is just a standard power supply wire that runs to the Exterior Ground Fault Interuptor (Ext GFI) that trips when water gets into your outlets to prevent a short.

Think of #26 as the wire that feeds a light switch, and the GFI as a fancy light switch for the outside outlets that prevents your house from burning down or you getting shocked.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9603 posts
8952 upvotes
Markham
I had this problem before too. That one plug you have there is probably connected to another GFCI outlet. So just find that one and reset it.

I was pretty dumb, I changed the outlet thinking that would fix it. Then I tried to change the breaker, lol. It was just the GFCI reset button.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7908 posts
2632 upvotes
Maple
otaknap wrote: Hoping for some help here before I call an electrician. Both my exterior outlets are not working. All the switches to my panel are turned on and both exterior outlets have a light on top which work fine (I'm just assuming they are on the same breaker as light above but I could be wrong. I took the face plate out, took the outlet out half way and touched the hot (black) wire with my Klein Voltage tester. It was green and therefore had no electricity. I'm extremely confused. Could the hot wire be busted leaving an exposed wire in between the wall? The outlet was working fine about two months ago and I'm certain all the switches (which there are none) are turned out.

also my breaker panel has a switch beside it labeled Ext. GFI.? Any idea what this might control?

I've left pictures for reference.
Looking at the pictures, are you supposed to put cover to protect outside outlets from rain and snow? I have 1 at backyard, it has cover even it is GFCI reset button.
Dec 25, 2012
988 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
Most do have an exterior outlet cover, maybe it broke off?
JS
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1082 posts
241 upvotes
Vaughan
teoconca wrote: Looking at the pictures, are you supposed to put cover to protect outside outlets from rain and snow? I have 1 at backyard, it has cover even it is GFCI reset button.
James Stonehenge wrote: Most do have an exterior outlet cover, maybe it broke off?
There is a cover. I just took it off when I took the picture as I was using the voltage pen to test for power. Definitely need exterior outlets to be covered for weather proofing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1082 posts
241 upvotes
Vaughan
Anikiri wrote: I had this problem before too. That one plug you have there is probably connected to another GFCI outlet. So just find that one and reset it.

I was pretty dumb, I changed the outlet thinking that would fix it. Then I tried to change the breaker, lol. It was just the GFCI reset button.
haha.. i was just about to change the outlet. good thing i didn't buy one yet. when i found out that the hot wire had no power, i figured it wasn't an outlet issue. I was worried that it could be a breaker issue. i wouldn't try to change the breaker myself though.