Home & Garden

Exterior Paint and Sealant for Windows

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2020 9:15 am
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Mar 23, 2015
201 posts
26 upvotes
Burlington, ON

Exterior Paint and Sealant for Windows

HI Guys,
I am going to repaint my windows from outside and want to ask you the following before I do it:
  • What sealant should I use to seal edges between glass and window frames, as well as between window frames and painted metal around window frames. Since I am going to do it myself, I don’t care about the price of sealant and want to use the best what’s out there. Also, worth to mention, those windows are under direct sunlight all day and I need sealant that will work best under the sun and cold weather as well.
  • What paint should I use? As I mentioned above those windows are under direct sun light and I want use the paint that works best in such condition.
  • I am planning to remove old paint and apply primer before painting. Any advice about what primer I should use for paint recommended?
Thank you for your help in advance.

All the Best,

Ildasm
30 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11977 posts
7133 upvotes
Paris
Ildasm wrote:
  • What sealant should I use to seal edges between glass and window frames, as well as between window frames and painted metal around window frames. Since I am going to do it myself, I don’t care about the price of sealant and want to use the best what’s out there. Also, worth to mention, those windows are under direct sunlight all day and I need sealant that will work best under the sun and cold weather as well.
Are these wood or vinyl windows? You should not seal glass to vinyl windows.

For the second part, Mulco Pro which is a family of thermoplastic sealants. I think they retail around $18/tube at Timbermart.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Mar 23, 2015
201 posts
26 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Windows are around 20 years old but still good. They are made from wood. I will take a picture tomorrow to show you how they look like.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4842 posts
2098 upvotes
WFH
Sherwin Williams Emerald exterior is the most durable exterior paint i've used. No primer required. I'd highly recommend it for your windows if you're looking for a lasting paint job.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Mar 23, 2015
201 posts
26 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Jerico wrote: Are these wood or vinyl windows? You should not seal glass to vinyl windows.

For the second part, Mulco Pro which is a family of thermoplastic sealants. I think they retail around $18/tube at Timbermart.
Please see below pictures of my windows

I didn't find Mulco Pro but got this one silicon sealant below, person in Home depot said that this is the best what they have for sunlight and cold weather. It is specifically made for windows. That said I can't paint on it. I have a question then what should I do first apply silicon and then paint or other way around? If I am going to paint after applying silicon should I cover about 1-2 millimetres over silicon?

Thank you for your help
Images
  • 20200724_153915.jpg
  • 20200724_153922.jpg
  • 20200724_154222.jpg
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11977 posts
7133 upvotes
Paris
Ildasm wrote: Please see below pictures of my windows

I didn't find Mulco Pro but got this one silicon sealant below, person in Home depot said that this is the best what they have for sunlight and cold weather. It is specifically made for windows. That said I can't paint on it. I have a question then what should I do first apply silicon and then paint or other way around? If I am going to paint after applying silicon should I cover about 1-2 millimetres over silicon?

Thank you for your help
The first thing you should do is return that garbage. Mulco is not sold at Home Depot or Lowes. Timbermart and some other more contractor oriented dealers. Silicon wont last. Some Home Hardware stores will order it for you from their siding supplier.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2006
1135 posts
457 upvotes
dirtmover wrote: Sherwin Williams Emerald exterior is the most durable exterior paint i've used. No primer required. I'd highly recommend it for your windows if you're looking for a lasting paint job.
Good choice. but then again I think any of the premium brands high end paints will be comparable. Benjamin Moore Regal and Dulux Diamond. I have been paying attention to previous paint jobs after 5 years with all these paints and so far so good. In year 15, that's too far away to asses.

I say buy whichever is on sale. Luckily for OP, he probably doesn't need a lot. Might even get away with a quart, it looks like he is just painting the window ledges/trim based on his pictures.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Mar 23, 2015
201 posts
26 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Below is what I found close to me at Rona in Canada. It's a MULCO Exterior Thermoplastic Sealant 300ml - Glacier White. I wasn't able to find Sikaflex Pro in Canada easily available.

https://www.rona.ca/en/mulco-exterior-t ... 00-0687056

Please let me know if I can use this sealant to seal between glass and window frame. As well as between window frames and painted steel around window frame.

Thank you for your help.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11977 posts
7133 upvotes
Paris
Ildasm wrote: Below is what I found close to me at Rona in Canada. It's a MULCO Exterior Thermoplastic Sealant 300ml - Glacier White. I wasn't able to find Sikaflex Pro in Canada easily available.

https://www.rona.ca/en/mulco-exterior-t ... 00-0687056

Please let me know if I can use this sealant to seal between glass and window frame. As well as between window frames and painted steel around window frame.

Thank you for your help.
Link isn’t working but it appears to be a Mulco product so good for frames to painted steel. I would not seal windows into the sash.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Mar 23, 2015
201 posts
26 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Jerico wrote: Link isn’t working but it appears to be a Mulco product so good for frames to painted steel. I would not seal windows into the sash.
Thank you. I couldn't make link work for some reason. Can you let me know what's the reason you wouldn't seal where glass from window connects with window frame? Currently I see that there is some kind of sealant.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 12, 2008
3321 posts
900 upvotes
Ancaster
Another vote for Mulco Caulking. As mentioned already Rona has the consumer version "Flextra" in a limited number of colours. I found the Flextra as good as the commercial grade Mulco "Supra Expert".

If you're looking for a unique colour, the Supra Expert is available in tons of odd colours.
https://www.mulco.ca/en-ca/products/adh ... rt-sealant

Mulco has a "Where to Buy" section on their website that you can find a retailer near you.
Member
Aug 18, 2017
291 posts
506 upvotes
Gentek sells Mulco caulking and they usually have a variety of colors in stock. $5.5 a tube and i believe its paintable, Don't bother with the big box store crap. I caulked my windows three years ago with the homedepot crap and had to recaulk everything with Mulco this year. Wish i had known this forum earlier :) Mulco stinks very bad for like 3-5 days so try to keep the windows closed after application.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11977 posts
7133 upvotes
Paris
nielboy wrote: Another vote for Mulco Caulking. As mentioned already Rona has the consumer version "Flextra" in a limited number of colours. I found the Flextra as good as the commercial grade Mulco "Supra Expert".

If you're looking for a unique colour, the Supra Expert is available in tons of odd colours.
https://www.mulco.ca/en-ca/products/adh ... rt-sealant

Mulco has a "Where to Buy" section on their website that you can find a retailer near you.
Each of their lines of caulking has a different expansion/contraction rating. For the average consumer, any of the Mulco stuff is probably fine. The stuff we use is a minimum of 600% but it starts around 300% and goes as high as 1500%

Mulco is also easy to take off if needed.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 12, 2008
3321 posts
900 upvotes
Ancaster
Jerico wrote: Each of their lines of caulking has a different expansion/contraction rating. For the average consumer, any of the Mulco stuff is probably fine. The stuff we use is a minimum of 600% but it starts around 300% and goes as high as 1500%

Mulco is also easy to take off if needed.
Compared to silicone (which is a nightmare to remove) the Mulco pulls off all together like cheese string. You really need to tug on it because there wouldn't be any point to it if it was too easy.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3526 posts
1715 upvotes
Mississauga
Is Mulco silicone just as good.. I have to caulk my shower.
Sr. Member
Feb 26, 2019
602 posts
655 upvotes
Ottawa
First of all: good one you for saving the wood windows. I have recently restored my wood windows and am really happy with the choice. Properly maintained wood windows can last forever (literally). Most homeowners seem to be allergic to maintenance and prefer everything made from plastic or metal... anyways.

Mulco will be good for sealing the wood window to the aluminum capping around them.

You should not be using such a sealant (mulco, silicone, or anything that comes out of a caulking tube) to seal the glass to the wood frames. This should be sealed with Window Glazing. It can be tricky to work with, but it is the correct product.

Because your exisitng frames have bare weathered wood, you need to be careful about choosing a primer. You will get the best results from an oil-based (alkyd) slow drying primer. Slow drying primers will work better on bare wood (especially weathered wood) because the slow dry time gives them more time to penetrate the wood before curing. I like Benjamin Moore K-100 penetrating exterior primer, but any "long oil" primer will do it. It is a special order at most BM dealers and is not cheap. It takes about 4-6 hours to be dry to the touch. Give it a week before you paint over it, though. Latex paint is compatible with it. Someone else recommended SW Emerald - that is a good recommendation. You can also use Benjamin Moore Regal Select (Exterior), it holds up well.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 12, 2008
3321 posts
900 upvotes
Ancaster
TLSRULZ wrote: Is Mulco silicone just as good.. I have to caulk my shower.
Mulco makes good quality products. And silicone is the best bet for showers/tubs.

Top