Exterior Paint and Sealant for Windows

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2020 9:15 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8862 posts
5123 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Thought would get the Mulco Supra Expert but since Rona close by it seems Mulco Flextra just as stretchy. Just depends if you want super or extra properties [see below]! :)

https://www.mulco.ca/en-ca/sealants/doors

Supra Expert

Supra Expert™ is a super-durable, thermoplastic architectural, one-component sealing compound that dries by solvent evaporation.

Industrial

First-quality thermoplastic rubber-based sealant

For windows and siding

Instant resistance to rain

Super-flexible, super-adherent and super-durable

Adheres to almost any surface

Can stretch up to 1400% without breaking

Bubble-free

Available size: 300 mL

Choice of 50 colours

*This product can only be purchased through a distributor.

Flextra®

Flextra® is perfect for sealing outdoor joints around door and window frames, sidings and glass in window frames.

First-quality thermoplastic rubber-based sealant

Ideal for exterior applications

Extra-flexible, extra-adherent and extra-durable

Adheres to almost all surfaces

Multi-purpose

2-minute tack-free time

Will remain glossy and dirt-free

Available size: 300 mL

Choice of 26 colours

https://www.mulco.ca/en-ca/products/adh ... ra-sealant

Flextra®
VIEW AVAILABLE COLORS VIEW DATA SHEETS
First-quality thermoplastic rubber-based sealant.

FEATURES:
Can stretch up to 1400% without breaking
Stays glossy and dirt free
2022: BOC raised 8 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Jan 7, 2013
836 posts
507 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Try some practice joints. The Mulco isn't quite like the Alexplus most people are used too.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1869 posts
1309 upvotes
Toronto
I've never worked with Mulco thermoplastic sealants before. What's the cleanup process like? Can water be used or is mineral spirits or other chemical needed?
Jan 7, 2013
836 posts
507 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
VertigoM wrote: I've never worked with Mulco thermoplastic sealants before. What's the cleanup process like? Can water be used or is mineral spirits or other chemical needed?
Clean with mineral spirits. You also aren't supposed to "tool" the caulk after its applied, but i don't know how doable that is in practice.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2015
201 posts
26 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Hi Guys,

Please let me know if the steps below are correct in order to refinish window frames:

1) Clean all areas: frames, glass, metal frames around windows
2) Remove all old caulk from window frames and glass
3) Remove and scrape off old paint
4) Sand and fill any cracks with wood filler on window frames
5) Apply primer
6) Apply Mulco Flextra around wooden frames and metal, as well as frames and glass window
7) Paint

Can I use Mulco Flextra to seal wooden frames and glass window or you recommend to use window glazing? If you recommend to use window glazing which one would you recommend? I also see in Mulco Flextra specs that it can be used with glass in window frames. What's your opinion?

Please also feel free to add any steps that you think I missed above.

Thank you for your help.
Last edited by Ildasm on Aug 18th, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2015
201 posts
26 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Hi Guys,

I found one widely available window glass in Canada:

Link

Let me know if this is a good one.

Thank you,

Ildar
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1521 posts
945 upvotes
ottawa
Ildasm wrote: Hi Guys,

I found one widely available window glass in Canada:

Link

Let me know if this is a good one.

Thank you,

Ildar
Yes that's the one - came here to say that you need to use glazing, it's an oily putty so you want to make it into the bead, lay it into the gap, and push it in with your finger. Then you can run your finger back and forth to make it smooth, let it dry out for a couple days before painting. The other product you linked was for the edges around the window and against the siding on the house.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12127 posts
7306 upvotes
Paris
Shaidin wrote: You also aren't supposed to "tool" the caulk after its applied, but i don't know how doable that is in practice.
If you tool it, it will be a big sticky mess of bullcrap.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2015
201 posts
26 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Tried DAP 33 putty and didn’t like for couple of reasons.
First, I am more used to working with silicone and have tools to work with liquid sealants.
Second, my windows currently have very thin (2-3mm) layer of plastic sealant and I don’t want to create 6-7mm layer with putty.

Is there window glazing that you would recommend that comes in a tube for tube gun and have more liquidity consistency like silicone?

I found something like that in home deport below but just was wondering if you guys can recommend something else
Your text to link here...

Also, I have a feeling that something more liquid will stick and last longer than a putty. I have tried to work putty with my hands to make more workable but still didn’t get it to what I want.

Please let me know.
Aug 29, 2019
999 posts
454 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Are these wood or vinyl windows? You should not seal glass to vinyl windows.

For the second part, Mulco Pro which is a family of thermoplastic sealants. I think they retail around $18/tube at Timbermart.
How do you typically remove old mulco supra from brick?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12127 posts
7306 upvotes
Paris
Katedontbreak wrote: How do you typically remove old mulco supra from brick?
Most of it peels off, then ideally we set the window out just a hair to cover the old caulk lines. Otherwise, wire brush or the like.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)