• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2017 7:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8441 posts
562 upvotes

Exterior power outlet is not working on the sudden

My builder installed two exterior power outlets at my front entrance covered porch. One is two feet from the ground, the other one is at the top corner of the porch ceiling. I guess it is intended for Christmas light connection. I notice the one on the top all the sudden is not working (get no power from it). I just wonder what could that. I have been using it to power up the front door camera. Would it be an expensive fix by an electrician ?

Thanks for any advice :)
8 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10512 posts
6784 upvotes
Edmonton
So the other outlet is still working? Have you checked to make sure the GFCI hasn't tripped?

C
Apr 26, 2003
986 posts
317 upvotes
Check the GFCI for sure or see if it tripped on your breaker panel.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8441 posts
562 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: So the other outlet is still working? Have you checked to make sure the GFCI hasn't tripped?

C
Yes, the other outlet is working. So, unless they are on different breaker. When I checked the main circuit panel, no breaker was jumped. Also, the ceiling outlet has only been plugged into a small device (web cam).
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10512 posts
6784 upvotes
Edmonton
The GFCI tripping doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a heavy load or the circuit breaker blowing. If it's a GFCI outlet, it will have the two buttons on it, a Reset and Test (I believe). Get up there, hit the Reset button, and see if that fixes it. I would bet it's the first thing an electrician does when he gets there...

C
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8441 posts
562 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: The GFCI tripping doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a heavy load or the circuit breaker blowing. If it's a GFCI outlet, it will have the two buttons on it, a Reset and Test (I believe). Get up there, hit the Reset button, and see if that fixes it. I would bet it's the first thing an electrician does when he gets there...

C
ok, I think I did try that reset button the last time when I climbed up. But I will try it again.

Thanks
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14954 posts
4186 upvotes
London
rdx wrote: .. I notice the one on the top all the sudden is not working (get no power from it). .
Aren't those outlets usually tied to a light switch near the door?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4809 posts
673 upvotes
Calgary
l69norm wrote: Aren't those outlets usually tied to a light switch near the door?
Look for a switch in a closet
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
Its a switched outlet for christmas lights. Look for a switch