• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2023 7:26 am
[OP]
Jan 13, 2009
439 posts
297 upvotes
Concrete Jungle

External Hard Drive

Phone is running out of space due to large videos/images so I'm looking for a HD or two to unload the files on. I know there are shock resistance/speeds to look for.. anything recommendations would be appreciated!
9 replies
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3402 posts
3751 upvotes
Montreal
sneak_around wrote: Phone is running out of space due to large videos/images so I'm looking for a HD or two to unload the files on. I know there are shock resistance/speeds to look for.. anything recommendations would be appreciated!
What is your backup plan for when the HDD fails?

I recommend a NAS, even if it is a Synology "j" model if cost is the biggest factor. With encrypted backup to B2.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2793 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
Why not just move the files to your computer for now?

Then go buy an external drive that's on sale so that you will have 2 copies.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1106 posts
1735 upvotes
what are you more worried about, privacy or losing your data? if you are more worried about losing your data, you should be using cloud storage. if privacy is more important, you should be thinking more about redundancy than the protection on a single piece of hardware
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4127 posts
3387 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
Can't you just get a USB-C data stick?

Other than that, there are a few SSD deals, that you can just stick in a USB-A/C to USB-C enclosure:

34 bucks (Amazon's choice) 512 GB, no DRAM, TLC:
https://www.amazon.ca/Silicon-Power-512 ... B07LG1PJMH

36 bucks 512 GB, no DRAM, TLC:
https://www.amazon.ca/Timetec-512GB-400 ... B08GJCZG39

Enclosure, $13.99 after coupon
https://www.amazon.ca/External-Enclosur ... B0BF8MCQ49

Obviously, SSD's need power over time to maintain their memory, if that's too sketch, then get an HDD, which will be cheaper (maybe?)

I would just get a USB-C cheap data stick, download from phone and upload to computer.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2009
439 posts
297 upvotes
Concrete Jungle
- I value the data vs the privacy because it's basically personal pictures/videos of family and random images
- the plan is to back up two copies on external HD's in the event that one fails, still have a duplicate
- not much space on left on my laptop to transfer data from my phone to laptop but ill make it work until a deal comes around
- SSD's needing power to maintain memory is not ideal for my use case

I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. Prob missed out on the good boxing day deals
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2568 posts
479 upvotes
North York
sneak_around wrote: I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. Prob missed out on the good boxing day deals
Didn't really see any to be honest, costco had a decent price on the 8tb around black friday, but it's not even in stock/on the website now. How much stuff do you need to store?

I like the combination of a cloud copy + local backup for the important stuff.
Aug 14, 2021
428 posts
715 upvotes
Over Yonder
London Drugs had a great deal on a 2tb external for around 45 dollars but you'll need to set your time machine to before Jan 2nd to get that deal. I dunno why this boxing day/week/whatever forum is still here boxing day/week is long over now.
Dec 29, 2019
323 posts
111 upvotes
In October my iPhone which has 256gb was very low on storage I had taken some pictures during Halloween and then while in bed one night my phone became very slow while reading Apple News. It shut off and got stuck on the apple logo I couldn’t get it to turn back on. I never do backups to iTunes I was so upset I had 5 years of pictures. I googled and read how some people had to restore from a backup but mine was maxed out so how would that work? I got up and had some iCloud thing pop up when I plugged my phone into my laptop. I was able to see some apps that I had on my phone but never used and I started deleting them. I couldn’t see any pictures or videos, phone still wouldn’t turn on. Finally it turned on and I started to delete the biggest video files I didn’t need.

Apple makes things so difficult sometimes lesson learned here never let your iPhone storage max out.

How often do you need to run on an ssd so it maintains it’s memory? Does it need to constantly have power? Can I store stuff on it and put it away for a year or so before powering up again?

What is the difference between these 2 Seagate drives? The models are different however they look exactly the same?

I tried to price match at Staples and they say it’s different.

Are these considered ssd’s?

Seagate STKC4000400 vs STGX4000400

https://www.staples.ca/products/3001546 ... rive-black

https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Portable- ... 4797&psc=1
Jan 21, 2007
598 posts
538 upvotes
For the two Seagate drives, they probably use the same hard drive, but you can see that the exterior shell looks a bit different. Additionally, they have different product numbers, which is probably why Staples isn't letting you price match.

These are not SSDs (solid state drives); they are hard drives, in a 2.5" size.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)