• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2016 10:08 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2008
1451 posts
433 upvotes

External Hard Drive Question for X-Box One

Can someone help me with a definitive answer? There is a 5 gig ext. hard drive on sale for $159 at BB today. Can I use this to back up my desktop and also as additional storage for my xbox one? Or do you have to do some special format to use it via usb 3.0 for xbox one storage?

While I am at it can anyone tell me exactly how xbox live works, is it per gaming account or per xbox? So we have a trial of xbox live right now but if we buy a year can all of us on the same physical xbox play online?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5449 posts
1110 upvotes
calgary
- Any 3.0 Hard drive will work, so Im pretty sure that will work.

XBL is per account but if you tie that account to a console anyone that uses that console can use XBL.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2008
1451 posts
433 upvotes
Thanks for the reply, but I am still not 100% sure if I can have other data and also use it on an xbox one.

So do you do something special to tie that account to the xbox console?
Aug 20, 2009
8002 posts
2924 upvotes
Grimsby
To directly answer the original question so far its all or nothing with the external. You can't use it for both PC and XBO, any time I've plugged an external into the Xbox One that isn't pre-formatted by the console it wants to format it. It can't seem to respect other partitions in the table. Hopefully this improves with a software update down the line. They said it was coming awhile back but so far nothing.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1369 posts
348 upvotes
GVRD
jg123 wrote: Thanks for the reply, but I am still not 100% sure if I can have other data and also use it on an xbox one.

So do you do something special to tie that account to the xbox console?
No other data, the drive will be formatted for X1 when you plug the USB in.