• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2017 3:25 pm
[OP]
Nov 25, 2016
164 posts
161 upvotes

External monitors on laptop

Hi

Any advice on the best gadget to use to add extra monitors to my laptop?

I have 3usb ports and 1 hdmi . My monitor 1 can use hdmi, my other uses VGA or hdmi, but laptop has no VGA spot. I have an adaptor to convert to USB, but it only likes the usb3 and I also need USB for keyboard/mouse adapter, a printer, and a USB key that runs special software for the printer. So I'm short USB spots and vga.

I saw on Amazon some docking station gadget that looks like it does it, but it also costs $140....so before I spend money I don't have, want to see if that's best idea.

This is what I found. Your text to link here...

https://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-UD-3900- ... K4HTH148M3

Or better, cheaper ideas welcome. Thanks!
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
How many are you adding?
Or a better question is why are you adding so many to a notebook?
Wouldn't it make more sense to use a desktop?

After using all the native ports, adding via USB (basically your only option) can add up pretty quickly.

If it's just one it's not so bad but you're adding like 4 monitors you might want to consider a desktop.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
5022 posts
1624 upvotes
pickup a used docking station if your laptop is popular enough.
If you have a lenovo you may be in luck.
I was shocked to get my Lenovo docking station for under $20 at some used parts computer guy in brampton.
The dock has got like 2 vga ports and another 3 dvi ports - waay too much than you could ever want
[OP]
Nov 25, 2016
164 posts
161 upvotes
Only adding two, I use laptop so I can take with me to office when I have to (work from home but do need to sometimes take work elsewhere). 4 monitors would be a dream though Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I will see if I can find a used docking station, just wanted to be sure that was right piece of equipment.

Thanks.
Jan 22, 2015
594 posts
633 upvotes
N/A
Docking station. The additional benefits include ports for keyboard and mouse, external drives, etc. That means that when you need to run...grab the laptop from the docking station leaving everything setup for your return.

Welcome to the world of the road warrior!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4538 posts
1498 upvotes
Vancouver
One issue that may occur is that of having all monitors color accurate. It is likely the only screen which could be made truly color accurate, after calibration, is the one connected directly to your laptop via Displayport, HDMI, or DVI (not likely in recent laptops). With use of a calibrator you could likely get the others close but not entirely similar.

For image editing I'd use a desktop. If you are only dealing with text or code, not big deal.

There might also be some issues in how you manage the desktop resolutions. If your laptop is 1366x768 and you have a 1920x1080 monitor, in certain modes of extending the desktop your external may be forced to use a 1366x768 resolution. Something to look into.