• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2021 5:49 pm
[OP]
Member
Oct 12, 2007
310 posts
121 upvotes
Vancouver

External SSD advice

I'm currently looking at the Samsung Portable SSD T5 that's $279.99 in most places. I'm pretty much going to bottle neck anything faster with what I have.

Anyone have any other recommendations? warnings? better alternatives?
8 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19898 posts
6080 upvotes
Toronto
Whoaness wrote: I'm pretty much going to bottle neck anything faster with what I have.
What do you mean by this? Is your current machine unable to make use of anything faster?

I have both a Samsung T5 and a T7, and the T7 is considerably faster on a machine that can utilize its speed, but the T5 is pretty nice overall too.
[OP]
Member
Oct 12, 2007
310 posts
121 upvotes
Vancouver
EugW wrote: What do you mean by this? Is your current machine unable to make use of anything faster?

I have both a Samsung T5 and a T7, and the T7 is considerably faster on a machine that can utilize its speed, but the T5 is pretty nice overall too.
T7 needs higher than USB 3 to support its higher speed, right?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19898 posts
6080 upvotes
Toronto
Whoaness wrote: T7 needs higher than USB 3 to support its higher speed, right?
I think to go above 500 MB/s you need USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) or higher.
[OP]
Member
Oct 12, 2007
310 posts
121 upvotes
Vancouver
EugW wrote: I think to go above 500 MB/s you need USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) or higher.
Yeah, I only have USB 3 when it just came out. PC is holding out okay for its age.

Just looking to get the bang for my buck atm and saying I can't utilize the T7, which I looked at.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7150 posts
1479 upvotes
Toronto
Best bang for buck would be to get a NVME drive that has DRAM and put that in a NVME to USB 10Gbps enclosure. There is not much of a price discount if any for NVME to 5Gbps enclosure.

You can always install the NVME drive into your computer when you upgrade to a newer machine that has a NVME slot.

I run a NVME with a cheap orico 10Gbps enclosure from Aliexpress, on ports with 10Gbps I get about 800-900 MB/s seq reads. On USB 5Gbps ports it runs almost at exactly half of that.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
[OP]
Member
Oct 12, 2007
310 posts
121 upvotes
Vancouver
toalan wrote: Best bang for buck would be to get a NVME drive that has DRAM and put that in a NVME to USB 10Gbps enclosure. There is not much of a price discount if any for NVME to 5Gbps enclosure.

You can always install the NVME drive into your computer when you upgrade to a newer machine that has a NVME slot.

I run a NVME with a cheap orico 10Gbps enclosure from Aliexpress, on ports with 10Gbps I get about 800-900 MB/s seq reads. On USB 5Gbps ports it runs almost at exactly half of that.
Well, like I said, I don't plan to be able to run faster than 500mb. This drive will be strictly external.

If I can get an enclosure solution cheaper than the external drive prices out there, I would go for it, but right now, I'm looking at the Samsung T5 2tb for $280 and doing comparisons from that.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19898 posts
6080 upvotes
Toronto
I usually don't recommend DIY combos for external drives. You don't save that much money (unless you go for low end stuff) and occasionally you can run into weird problems, for which you will get no warranty support.
[OP]
Member
Oct 12, 2007
310 posts
121 upvotes
Vancouver
EugW wrote: I usually don't recommend DIY combos for external drives. You don't save that much money (unless you go for low end stuff) and occasionally you can run into weird problems, for which you will get no warranty support.
Well, I'm really considering the 2gb T5 because I have to get it before Black Friday (a birthday), and I'm not too concerned with futureproofing when I'm not too concerned about speed, and the cost is a lot more for that speed.

Top