• Nov 1st, 2019 10:14 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 13, 2011
621 posts
147 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…

extra fee on top of mounting and balacing fee

Had my tires mounted on my on wheels recently.
Cost was $30/wheel to have them mounted and road force balanced.
Then I got called and told they mounted and tested and the roadforce number was still high.
Wanted an extra $15 for each tire that had to be unmounted and remounted and balanced.
Is this a normal practice?

In the end I paid it as I wanted them to be properly balanced.
12 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14734 posts
9157 upvotes
Toronto
Never heard of it, not to say that it doesn't exist, but I've never had anything other than installation and balance fee. Maybe new stems, but that's about it. And tire disposal if the old tires were being discarded.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29190 posts
14947 upvotes
Toronto
what shop is doing this ?

CT ? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11349 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I would not agree with that. If you are paying $30/tire to mount balance and they dont do it properly where they need to unmount and balance twice, that's not my fault that is your techs fault. I'm paying $30 to have it done properly the first time, not $30 each try.

What shop was it? does not seem normal.
MrMimizu wrote: Had my tires mounted on my on wheels recently.
Cost was $30/wheel to have them mounted and road force balanced.
Then I got called and told they mounted and tested and the roadforce number was still high.
Wanted an extra $15 for each tire that had to be unmounted and remounted and balanced.
Is this a normal practice?

In the end I paid it as I wanted them to be properly balanced.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1255 posts
470 upvotes
Vancouver
Yea find a new shop. the install fee should include the attempts they make to make it balanced, even if it means they have to unmount and remount the tires. $30/wheel is already a reasonable price.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6389 posts
2039 upvotes
BC
I can see this happening if the tires you supplied were not new and/or did not have coloured dots on them for match mounting on the rims.

Or if the wheels had above average radial runout (through previous use or lower quality if new) and installer had to take a chance on mounting orientation.

Not all installers use the red and yellow dots (if present) so if that was the case here they should not be charging you for a second try.

Another possibility is they suddenly realized the tires were directional and had mounted some or all of them wrong , and didn't want to pay for their own mistake.

Not too clear if you had to pay for all 4 to be redone or just one or two of them. All 4 seems very odd.

For 18" or bigger tires, $120 total is about the going rate, so having to pay $180 sounds way out of line.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1478 posts
2379 upvotes
Canada, eh?
booblehead wrote: what shop is doing this ?

CT ? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Nah CT would just break the tire sidewall and ask you to pay for the damages.
Jun 10, 2008
467 posts
334 upvotes
Halton Hills
If a wheel doesn't balance well, turning the tire 180 degrees on the rim is common practice. It usually happens with low quality tires and big truck tires. The tires themselves tend to have heavy spots especially where the tread is joined. 95% of the time it can be done without COMPLETELY dismounting the tire. For what it takes, I would hope the shop would absorb the cost. If there is a reason for excessive labor time (very low profile with sensors or big truck tires) I can understand the need for an additional charge. I've never used a road force balancer so I can't comment on it. However, I've never had issues using a standard balancer so I don't know the need for it.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3775 posts
20939 upvotes
I'm subscribing just to see the name of the shop and the shady ethics being performed so I can avoid them in the future.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2011
621 posts
147 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
The shop is Level Auto in Scarborough.
I've had a tire patched and also an alignment check with them before.
This was just putting a set of new X-ice 3 on to some 16" ford wheels.
Was $120 including road force balancing. Then I got a call that two had high road force numbers and needed to be unmounted and redone. Was $15 per tire so an extra $30.
In the end, I decided to pay it vs having to then take them elsewhere to be redone. They did end up being balanced to a more acceptable number.
I haven't put them on the car yet though so right now it's assumed they are well balanced.

I guess I had expected the amount paid would include whatever was necessary to get the job done.
Don't know how long it takes to mount, balance and then have to unmount and rebalance two wheels.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1769 posts
823 upvotes
Ontario
I doubt they unmounted them to get the road force numbers lower. probably just unseated the bead and spun it 180*...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Jun 21, 2006
818 posts
424 upvotes
the hunter road force balancer is a high tech diag tool not just your basic balancer if you wanted it perfectly balance
if they are high numbers and you wanted it perfectly balance this is normal they called you

here are the steps
1. mount the tire on the rim
2. put it on the roadforce balance , it will tell mark the tire and rim
3. un mount the tire off the rim and install tire and rims where it is marked
4. put it on the roadforce balance. then you have to mark the tire and rim agian
5. un mount the tire off the rim and reinstall it where it is marked
6. put it on the road force balancer agian to confirm and balance
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1769 posts
823 upvotes
Ontario
I ran a Hunter machine for years with a road force roller for BMW (got to go to Hunter for training on it and their alignment systems.) If you measure the rim first and tag them then you don't have to mount and dismount the tires all the time. Usually spinning them on the rim works in most cases. The Matchmaking system works decent if you follow it.
·Ï¢årµ§·