Home & Garden

Extra Insurance From Costco For Dishwasher Worth it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2022 10:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3169 posts
662 upvotes

Extra Insurance From Costco For Dishwasher Worth it?

Hi

I am planning to get a dishwasher for my rental suite, due to size restrictions I am pretty much limited to Hisense from costco for about $650.

I am wondering if it is worth adding the extra 3 years insurance on it for an extra $100. I added this on the past to my TV's but I think it was more like $50 extra

Also with the TV's it seems the more cheaper brands they are more prone to just refund you the money then try to repair it (not sure with dishwashers) as I had a TV crap out in the first 2 years (never got to year 3 of the warranty) and they just ended refunding me the entire amount including the extra warranty.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
6758 posts
2792 upvotes
Rental unit, "cheaper" dw, 15% premium, I say worth it. That isn't even $3/month.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3169 posts
662 upvotes
Toukolou wrote: Rental unit, "cheaper" dw, 15% premium, I say worth it. That isn't even $3/month.
Hmm yeah this what I was thinking though our first plan is to try to airbnb it so not sure if it will get that much action.

Do you know if it actually covers everything they needs to fixed on it or is their some exemptions?

Also does it include the cost of the parts or just labor?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
6758 posts
2792 upvotes
xiaobao wrote: Hmm yeah this what I was thinking though our first plan is to try to airbnb it so not sure if it will get that much action.

Do you know if it actually covers everything they needs to fixed on it or is their some exemptions?

Also does it include the cost of the parts or just labor?
It's Costco, you're good.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12957 posts
4063 upvotes
GTA
Yes from me.

I'm not normally one to buy extended warranties but always do so on dishwashers, as one service call will more than cover the cost.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
21882 posts
20394 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
DWs …
Unless it’s a Bosch or a Miele
I would buy the Extended Warranty

Esp at Costco cuz they throw in extra years
Vs other Retailers
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4731 posts
4438 upvotes
Toronto
I would highly, highly suggest trying to look even harder for a DW from a more popular brand, like Whirlpool/Kitchenaid/Maytag (same company), GE or Electrolux for ease of getting it repaired. Any appliance repair person can easily get parts and knows how to repair them. In contrast, if you look up authorized repair people for appliances on Hisense's website, there are only a handful in Toronto, called "Consumer Computer Services Inc" and "Quantum First Automation", which doesn't inspire confidence that they can actually repair dishwashers: LINK

And looking up Hisense dishwasher parts shows only obscure websites with no availability. If you get the extended warranty and something breaks, I'm guessing there's a good chance it won't be possible to repair it and you'll get your money back, but there's the hassle of getting and installing another one.

If it was me, and this needed to be a narrow DW, I would consider modifying/removing the cabinet to accommodate a normal sized DW.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12957 posts
4063 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote: DWs …
Unless it’s a Bosch or a Miele
I would buy the Extended Warranty
Actually it was a Bosch dw that the extended warranty saved my a$$ the most.

Manufacturer warranty was just a year and I bought an extra four. Had one warranty service after about two years, would've cost us $250 for the callout/repair. Then about 3/4 months before the expiration of the 5yrs, the main/ circuit board crapped out, would've been a $4/500 repair bill.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3169 posts
662 upvotes
jm1 wrote: I would highly, highly suggest trying to look even harder for a DW from a more popular brand, like Whirlpool/Kitchenaid/Maytag (same company), GE or Electrolux for ease of getting it repaired. Any appliance repair person can easily get parts and knows how to repair them. In contrast, if you look up authorized repair people for appliances on Hisense's website, there are only a handful in Toronto, called "Consumer Computer Services Inc" and "Quantum First Automation", which doesn't inspire confidence that they can actually repair dishwashers: LINK

And looking up Hisense dishwasher parts shows only obscure websites with no availability. If you get the extended warranty and something breaks, I'm guessing there's a good chance it won't be possible to repair it and you'll get your money back, but there's the hassle of getting and installing another one.

If it was me, and this needed to be a narrow DW, I would consider modifying/removing the cabinet to accommodate a normal sized DW.
It's not the width that's the problem is the depth. This was the smallest I could find under 23 inches and under like $800 the next was some GE what was over 23 inches.

The people who installed the kitchen ( previous owners) did not know what they where doing and ran a huge pipe behind where the dishwasher would go taking up lots of space and which makes the now dishwasher stick out 2-3 inches.

The people who looked at it told me it will be big money to try to fix and your kitchen will never look the same again so basically start over from scratch if you want to fix.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)