None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4593 posts
1075 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Eyefi or wireless transmitter on 5d mark iii or other tethering options

I'm finding myself shooting events where I'm shooting thousands of shots.

I don't want to keep switching out cards, and the last event I ran out of cards (I brought 10x64gb). I luckily had my laptop with me and had someone offload the cards to keep shooting.

For upcoming shoots, I'm debating between getting an eyefi or getting a canon wireless transmitter to resolve this problem.

Which one should I go with?

Are there any other good tethering options?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3582 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
For my opinion, I would say go with the Canon transmitter if you are gonna stay in the canon environment.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1454 posts
792 upvotes
wow... you ran out of 10x 64GB? It's crazy. I shoot uncompressed raw + jpeg on my Nikon D610 which has a bit more megapixel than your 5D MK3 and I can get around a thousand shots on a 32GB... So you get 10 of thousands of shots in 1 event? I guess you have lot of video recording too.

I don't know if it existed such thing has real time sync between an eyefi or transmitter to a laptop for Canon, but if not, if you want to transfer 64GB of data over wifi, all at once, it's way too long to copy over wireless. Just wired, it takes already like 10-15 minutes...

It's probably not the answer you'll like to hear, but I think the best way is: A) buy more cards at higher capacity. Get a few more 128 GB or 256 GB if needed. Or B) hire an assistant to do the transfer of your 10x 64GB.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4593 posts
1075 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Because they're dance events, I use a lot of bursts. Therefore a single dance can be 300-500 shots. 40-50 dances can easily hit 30-40k shots. And because they're typically shows, I have a very small window between numbers to swap cards if needed. I primarily prefer swapping during intermissions.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4654 posts
2773 upvotes
So.......what's your success to delete ratio?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4593 posts
1075 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bhrm wrote: So.......what's your success to delete ratio?
I find around 30-50%.
Nov 12, 2012
716 posts
433 upvotes
Calgary
Are you stationary while shooting, or do you move around during the individuals dances? There really aren't any good wireless solutions, tethered to a laptop opens up a few more options but only if you're shooting inside whatever radius your tether cable is long.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4593 posts
1075 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MikeinYYC wrote: Are you stationary while shooting, or do you move around during the individuals dances? There really aren't any good wireless solutions, tethered to a laptop opens up a few more options but only if you're shooting inside whatever radius your tether cable is long.
Either I'm at the front of the stage (so ~ 20-30ft radius), or I'm at the back of the theatre (stationary).

Is a tether cable secure? As in what mechanism does it use besides just plugging into the usb port? I find the usb port connection a bit flimsy, so any movement is bound to wiggle it loose.