Automotive

F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 2.7L - Fuel Economy?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2020 4:56 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 31, 2009
233 posts
207 upvotes
Woodbridge

F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 2.7L - Fuel Economy?

Hi, just picked up a F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 2.7L EcoBoost with XTR package last week. Beautiful truck. Ford Pass with remote is a bit unreliable (features pop on and off as they please), but overall decent build for the entry line.

The advertised and celebrated fuel economy (as per YouTube) is B.S. so far. I've been driving in Vaughan, about 75% city and 25% highway and have averaged 18L/100km. I have eco mode on, 4x2 and I am legitimately driving the slowest I ever have and I'm not a speeder anymore to begin with. The truck will periodically, but not always, auto start and stop which helps but I'm still 5-7L/100km higher than everyone else I know in similar conditions. People report 9L to 13L/100km. Quarter tank has got me about 120km. How is that possible? I've remote started the vehicle three times for a period of 1-2 minutes too, so I know that isn't going to tip the fuel economy too much.

I had a 2017 Dodge Ram Sport with 5.7L and had a comparable mileage (a bit higher) but I was driving that truck with a lot more uh...enthusiasm...at the beginning lol. And I remotely started that truck for much longer.

Does anyone have any advice (no anti-ford, it doesn't help)? Will the truck get THAT much better as I pile on the KMs, or am I missing something? It's used as a commuter until the next month until I'll be using it to transport materials etc., so this is kind of puzzling.
28 replies
Sep 25, 2018
550 posts
1043 upvotes
Well, for one thing, fuel economy is generally worse during the winter. Higher air density, heater (window, seat, fan, etc), lower temperature, etc. all contribute to it.

Or maybe something is wrong. You won't know until you find out.

Are you putting in the right gas? If it ask for 89 or 91 and you put in 87, you'll burn gas faster.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12321 posts
6190 upvotes
Toronto
I will call BS on the claimed 9-13L per 100 km

It's a heavy vehicle with a smallish engine, winter temps and winter gas, being used 75% city driving, which is all stop and go, meaning you are in boost a fair bit (for your case).

Your mileage sounds about right to me.

If you were getting those numbers while doing 95 km/h for long spurts i would say there's something wrong.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1926 posts
433 upvotes
Calgary
I have a 2014 with a 3.5 ecoboost (so, bigger engine, heavier truck). I get about 14.5L/100 in winter, and 13 in summer.

It took about 6 months to break in though. The first 6 months I was getting closer to 18L/100.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30950 posts
16719 upvotes
Ottawa
I have the 3.5L Explorer Sport and it averages 16L/100km during the winter (lots of idling) and between 13-14 in the summer.
I'm not one bit surprised considering these vehicles are nearly 5000lbs.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13124 posts
7432 upvotes
Toronto
Another note, please do not use the on-board guesstimate of your mileage. Best to write it down or record on fuelly to get a more accurate reading.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2448 posts
962 upvotes
Calgary
1st tank will be very unreliable reading. Give it 2-3 tanks of gas to see what your results are. Also what rear end did you get? That will have effect on your fuel econ somewhat.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2009
233 posts
207 upvotes
Woodbridge
Thanks everyone!

I know it’ll have to break in and I’m in the winter doing city driving, I was more or less curious if others had the same issue or had some comparisons.

If I continue to have these numbers, I’ll switch back to my 5.7l hemi because that engine was fun. I purposely avoided it this round in favour of better gas consumption. But again, all around the F-150 is a very respectable build! The dealership also mentioned that using the defroster uses the AC and will hike up the consumption and could also take away the auto start/stop function as it is Computer controlled? Mentioned that in the coming months the mileage will improve as the engine breaks in.

Again, go the community here—thank you for your time and honest opinions. Much appreciated!
Banned
Oct 26, 2019
38 posts
27 upvotes
The 5.7 in the Ram's is actually really good on gas for what it is! I was super impressed with the fuel consumption in my last 3 Ram's, probably could have done even better if I wasn't constantly putting my foot down to the floor board! Ford skews there numbers alot along with other claims, I was never impressed when I had the F150,actually dumped it before my lease was up. I never understood why people think the F150 is the holy grail of trucks?
[removed for signature violation, do not bypass swear filter]
Oct 29, 2009
609 posts
294 upvotes
Our 2019 F150 SC 2.7L gets about 14 - 15 L/100km in the city and closer to 12 on the highway (doing ~120km/h). I've been a bit disappointed as well. It's still fairly new so maybe there is still room for it to settle a bit.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30950 posts
16719 upvotes
Ottawa
potsmoker1969 wrote: The 5.7 in the Ram's is actually really good on gas for what it is! I was super impressed with the fuel consumption in my last 3 Ram's, probably could have done even better if I wasn't constantly putting my foot down to the floor board! Ford skews there numbers alot along with other claims, I was never impressed when I had the F150,actually dumped it before my lease was up. I never understood why people think the F150 is the holy grail of trucks?
No one thinks that.
Compare prices of trucks and you'll see why F150s are so popular.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18106 posts
2617 upvotes
Langley
potsmoker1969 wrote: The 5.7 in the Ram's is actually really good on gas for what it is! I was super impressed with the fuel consumption in my last 3 Ram's, probably could have done even better if I wasn't constantly putting my foot down to the floor board! Ford skews there numbers alot along with other claims, I was never impressed when I had the F150,actually dumped it before my lease was up. I never understood why people think the F150 is the holy grail of trucks?
Nobody thinks that the f150 is the "holy grail" of trucks

Independent side-by-side tests over the years have repeatedly demonstrated the Ram's poor fuel economy compared to its competitors.

EG:
https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/11/w ... -2018.html
https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/11/2019-h ... world-mpg/

This is made even worse by the fact that the Ram is also usually among the slowest trucks - but not surprising given the poor real-world dyno results.

https://cars.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b ... 03e200c-pi

Yes, the Rams have nice interiors. But they have poor fuel economy, poor performance, and low payload capabilities.
Mar 1, 2017
42 posts
21 upvotes
I have a 2018 2.7 Lariat. In the city I get around 12l and on the highway I get 10-11l depending on the speed and terrain. It is an amazing motor. It gets good fuel economy and has an amazing acceleration when needed. The 2.7l with the 10 speed automatic work so well together.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7638 posts
2251 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: Nobody thinks that the f150 is the "holy grail" of trucks

Independent side-by-side tests over the years have repeatedly demonstrated the Ram's poor fuel economy compared to its competitors.

EG:
https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/11/w ... -2018.html
https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/11/2019-h ... world-mpg/

This is made even worse by the fact that the Ram is also usually among the slowest trucks - but not surprising given the poor real-world dyno results.

https://cars.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b ... 03e200c-pi

Yes, the Rams have nice interiors. But they have poor fuel economy, poor performance, and low payload capabilities.
While I am by no means the RAM supporter I was when I owned one.... ( let's not go there again :) )

I still find it oddly suspicious that all 3 of these "independent" testers chose to test only the Manufacturer's best 1/2 ton engines, for all manufacturers, Except for RAM.