• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2023 10:19 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4633 posts
4890 upvotes
GTA
Very clever interpreting of the rulebook from Mercedes. Apparently they discussed this with the FIA long before today's testing. I'm surprised the FIA didn't close the loophole.

Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
derass wrote: Very clever interpreting of the rulebook from Mercedes. Apparently they discussed this with the FIA long before today's testing. I'm surprised the FIA didn't close the loophole.

Why would this be a "loophole"?
So much of the cars can be manipulated now (in car as well as by engineers in the pits), why is the wheel geometry not manipulative as well? Mercedes was just the first to implement what all engineers have known.
I can assure you that the others are trying to figure out how to do it too :)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10155 upvotes
Toronto
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10096 posts
8109 upvotes
Kootenays
Mercedes steering device to be banned by FIA from 2021 https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51584557

"The innovative steering system introduced by Mercedes for this season will be banned from 2021.

Mercedes have been cleared to use the system for 2020 and technical director James Allison hopes it will "bring an advantage during the season".

But the rules are changing for 2021 in such a manner that the system would not be legal under the new regulations.

Michael Masi, race director of governing body the FIA, confirmed the rule change on Friday."

It's doubtful that teams who have not had any development with this will bother to spend the money for 1 season, if they even could catch up at this point. Ferrari must be wishing they still had their spies!

Edit: Looks like the other teams have a "wait & see" attitude; it it gives an advantage, they'll go for it.

"Racing Point team principal Otmar Szafnauer said: "If it is a huge effort for little benefit probably (we will) not (go for it) because of limited resource, but if it is a small effort for a big benefit, then probably yes."

Speaking of Otmar, Netflix's Drive to Survive Season 2 airs starting the 28th!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
smacd wrote: Mercedes steering device to be banned by FIA from 2021 https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51584557

"The innovative steering system introduced by Mercedes for this season will be banned from 2021.

Mercedes have been cleared to use the system for 2020 and technical director James Allison hopes it will "bring an advantage during the season".

But the rules are changing for 2021 in such a manner that the system would not be legal under the new regulations.

Michael Masi, race director of governing body the FIA, confirmed the rule change on Friday."

It's doubtful that teams who have not had any development with this will bother to spend the money for 1 season, if they even could catch up at this point. Ferrari must be wishing they still had their spies!

Edit: Looks like the other teams have a "wait & see" attitude; it it gives an advantage, they'll go for it.

"Racing Point team principal Otmar Szafnauer said: "If it is a huge effort for little benefit probably (we will) not (go for it) because of limited resource, but if it is a small effort for a big benefit, then probably yes."

Speaking of Otmar, Netflix's Drive to Survive Season 2 airs starting the 28th!
I wonder if pressure form all the other teams made the FIA make this ruling?
Wouldn't be a coup if this allows Mercedes to run away with the championship and it would be pretty hard to wash the eggs off the faces of the rule makers LOL
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9591 posts
9090 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I wonder if pressure form all the other teams made the FIA make this ruling?
Wouldn't be a coup if this allows Mercedes to run away with the championship and it would be pretty hard to wash the eggs off the faces of the rule makers LOL
Ferrari basically said they could not implement DAS until mid season. Everyone is scrambling to find out a way.
yow2kvil wrote: Their website says only 1 stream at a time per account.
Well with archive streams, I had 3 streams going on 3 devices, 2 different ISP IPs and 1 account. Didn't try anything live and testing is too early in the morning.
yow2kvil wrote: Only Android, iOS, web browsers and Roku devices are supported. No Android TV, Firestick or Apple TV for now.
I have Android TV and I tried 3 different way to watch on big screen, in term of quality:

1. Screen mirror from Android phone - 8/10

2. Chromecast from Chrome browser on Surface Tablet - 7/10

3. Puffin browser on Android TV - 9/10

The only down side is, 1 and 2 give out better interface to flip thru the cameras and 3 seems to be unstable at parts. Friend told me to try Chromcast from Brave browser instead of Chrome and it seems to provide better quality.
Last edited by Xtrema on Feb 21st, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10096 posts
8109 upvotes
Kootenays
Pete_Coach wrote: I wonder if pressure form all the other teams made the FIA make this ruling?
Probably, especially if the end result is tires that don't overheat and fall off the cliff. It would be nice to have the teams not have to nurse them so much. Interesting that Mercedes are definitely following the rules as they are currently written, though.
"This is allowed under the 2020 rules because the relevant clause says only: "The front wheels are adjusted solely by the steering and under the full control of the driver."

But the 2021 rules contain a clause which says: "The alignment of the front wheels must only take place through a constant function of a rotational movement of a single steering wheel."
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2576 posts
1321 upvotes
Hometown
Apparently the rule for 2021 that would make it illegal was written before preseason testing started.... Also it is not entirely clear if it is legal or not for 2020. It will all depend on whether it is deemed to be a part of the steering system or part of the suspension system, in the eyes of F1. All this is according to Ted, Johnny and Rachel from Sky Sports...

Of course we can rely on the FIA to have a fair, just and impartial ruling LOL.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2576 posts
1321 upvotes
Hometown
bomber17 wrote: Just ordered TV Pro. Got charged $79.99 CAD.
I wish I could buy it.... For some reason I can not register on the F1 site to buy it. No need yet though as I was able to catch a bit of testing on Sky F1 live before work.

Ok scratch that it worked finally. Too bad Canada is excluded from the 25% off Earlybird special... that ends on Feb. 28th
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9591 posts
9090 upvotes
Canuck2fan wrote: I wish I could buy it.... For some reason I can not register on the F1 site to buy it. No need yet though as I was able to catch a bit of testing on Sky F1 live before work.

Ok scratch that it worked finally. Too bad Canada is excluded from the 25% off Earlybird special... that ends on Feb. 28th
I bought it thru the F1 TV app from Play Store as in app purchase.
Dec 13, 2008
176 posts
121 upvotes
Hamilton
2020 will be the best to watch in a very long long time. There is a lot of new talent just itching to grab a podium. Rooting for Orange.
Jan 30, 2017
936 posts
240 upvotes
Canuck2fan wrote: I wish I could buy it.... For some reason I can not register on the F1 site to buy it. No need yet though as I was able to catch a bit of testing on Sky F1 live before work.

I was able to apply the discount came to $59. If more the one person can watch at a time, I wouldnt mind sharing my account.
Nov 13, 2013
112 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like Early bird code is working for Canada now

just did it with the code

Voucher code:
F1TV_Earlybird_Annual_2020_CAD
Mar 7, 2017
97 posts
38 upvotes
MitSLo wrote: Seems like Early bird code is working for Canada now

just did it with the code

Voucher code:
F1TV_Earlybird_Annual_2020_CAD
I just tried no go for me

I tried your posted code and this one EARLYBIRD25
Mar 7, 2017
97 posts
38 upvotes
Allaboutthedeals wrote: I just tried no go for me

I tried your posted code and this one EARLYBIRD25
I just tired the EARLYBIRD25 and this time it work. I logged out 3 time then it work.
Jul 26, 2011
508 posts
520 upvotes
NORTH YORK
60 dollars? Sold. Code worked for me.

Pretty cool features, lots of data, just getting a hang of it and it seems awesome.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9177 posts
3220 upvotes
Toronto
mapleleafs92 wrote: 60 dollars? Sold. Code worked for me.

Pretty cool features, lots of data, just getting a hang of it and it seems awesome.
It seems like a good deal: ~ $3 per race.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10096 posts
8109 upvotes
Kootenays
mapleleafs92 wrote: 60 dollars? Sold. Code worked for me.

What's the quality on the big screen in comparison to broadcast tv? Is the audio 5.1? Once the races have happened, you can watch on demand, right. Lastly, is it the same Sky feed/announcers? TIA.

I'd pay $60/season just to get rid of the TSN commercials.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9177 posts
3220 upvotes
Toronto
smacd wrote: What's the quality on the big screen in comparison to broadcast tv? Is the audio 5.1? Once the races have happened, you can watch on demand, right. Lastly, is it the same Sky feed/announcers? TIA.

I'd pay $60/season just to get rid of the TSN commercials.
Good questions. Pity they're not offering a free trial Face With Tears Of Joy
Jul 16, 2008
233 posts
359 upvotes
Been waiting for the earlybird coupon to kick in, signed up and it's been great. Can't recommend it more.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)