Automotive

F1 (2020/21/22) 2023 Season

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2023 6:38 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2013
1646 posts
1462 upvotes
St Catharines
MrMom wrote: More about the business side than the on track portion.

I'm surprised they're still pulling in a billion dollars a quarter! That's half of last year's, and they're driving around in tracks with empty seats!
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10100 posts
8120 upvotes
Kootenays
For anyone jonesing for racing, MotoGP is on NBC Detroit at 2:30 ET today from Portugal. The championship has been decided, but with 9 winners so far this year, it's been exciting racing.
Sr. Member
Dec 25, 2006
673 posts
626 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hamilton is very well spoken - on his business side though I'm not so sure. He sued Hamilton watch co for trademark infringement - and lost thankfully. Read Here
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5743 posts
1452 upvotes
warpdwhim wrote: Hamilton is very well spoken - on his business side though I'm not so sure. He sued Hamilton watch co for trademark infringement - and lost thankfully. Read Here
My friends and I were joking around about betting on how soon he's going to sue the City of Hamilton and Hamilton musical.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4292 posts
1898 upvotes
Toronto
That'll be Sir Lewis Hamilton to all of you peasents. LOL.

Confirmation that Lewis will be knighted next year. Well deserved IMHO.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10100 posts
8120 upvotes
Kootenays
Repooc wrote: That'll be Sir Lewis Hamilton to all of you peasents. LOL.

Confirmation that Lewis will be knighted next year. Well deserved IMHO.
Hear Hear!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9179 posts
3220 upvotes
Toronto
Repooc wrote: That'll be Sir Lewis Hamilton to all of you peasents. LOL.

Confirmation that Lewis will be knighted next year. Well deserved IMHO.
Let's hope he joins the likes of Danny Boyle, Stephen Hawking, David Bowie, Peter O'Toole, Vanessa Redgrave, George Bernard Shaw, Rudyard Kipling, Thomas Hardy, and many others, in turning down the offer. In the words of A.J.P. Taylor (who also turned down the offer), "the Establishment draws its recruits from outside as soon as they are ready to conform to its standards and become respectable ..."
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Jimbobs wrote: Let's hope he joins the likes of Danny Boyle, Stephen Hawking, David Bowie, Peter O'Toole, Vanessa Redgrave, George Bernard Shaw, Rudyard Kipling, Thomas Hardy, and many others, in turning down the offer. In the words of A.J.P. Taylor (who also turned down the offer), "the Establishment draws its recruits from outside as soon as they are ready to conform to its standards and become respectable ..."
"“A knighthood, and the female equivalent, a damehood, is an award given by the queen to an individual for a major, long-term, contribution in any activity, usually at a national or international level.”" and Lewis Hamilton more than fits that requirement. 7 time world champion in F1 alone, not including any of his other accolades.

Making a political statement by refusing or giving it back is a 15 minutes of fame thing. No one cares about those that gave it back or refused it but, Sir XXX will always be noted.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 25, 2001
4601 posts
738 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: "“A knighthood, and the female equivalent, a damehood, is an award given by the queen to an individual for a major, long-term, contribution in any activity, usually at a national or international level.”" and Lewis Hamilton more than fits that requirement. 7 time world champion in F1 alone, not including any of his other accolades.

Making a political statement by refusing or giving it back is a 15 minutes of fame thing. No one cares about those that gave it back or refused it but, Sir XXX will always be noted.
He should refuse it hands down. Why accept a knighthood from the worlds biggest welfare recipient.
You can give a person knowledge, but you can't make them think. Some people want to remain fools because the truth requires change.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10100 posts
8120 upvotes
Kootenays
maddawg wrote: He should refuse it hands down. Why accept a knighthood from the worlds biggest welfare recipient.
Lewis seems to be setting himself up to do bigger things in his life, most significantly these days, pushing for equal opportunities for minorities in many areas, not just motorsports. Having a knighthood will definitely open more doors for him and increase his chances to succeed. He'd be a fool to throw away the opportunity and we all know, he's no fool. Gotta look at the long game.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
maddawg wrote: He should refuse it hands down. Why accept a knighthood from the worlds biggest welfare recipient.
Huh???
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
4071 posts
3348 upvotes
Toronto, ON
He doesn't even live there or pay taxes. I would be mad if I was British and he was knighted.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
canoek wrote: He doesn't even live there or pay taxes. I would be mad if I was British and he was knighted.
He does not have to live there. He is a British citizen. He does not have to live there.
Anyone can be presented with knighthood. Bono is, so is Bill Gates and Ha ha, so is Rudy Giuliani and many more .
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9179 posts
3220 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: He does not have to live there. He is a British citizen. He does not have to live there.
Anyone can be presented with knighthood. Bono is, so is Bill Gates and Ha ha, so is Rudy Giuliani and many more .
All good examples (well 2 of 3 anyway) why he should turn it down.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9179 posts
3220 upvotes
Toronto
smacd wrote: Lewis seems to be setting himself up to do bigger things in his life, most significantly these days, pushing for equal opportunities for minorities in many areas, not just motorsports. Having a knighthood will definitely open more doors for him and increase his chances to succeed. He'd be a fool to throw away the opportunity and we all know, he's no fool. Gotta look at the long game.
Seems to me that by turning it down, he is making a much more impactful statement than by accepting it.

The mistake here is thinking it's an "honour". It's not: it's a statement by the establishment that previously rejected you and your kind that we're now happy to accept you because you have contributed to our model of the establishment.

Accepting this would be a complete rejection and slap in the face for the Black Lives Matter movement.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9179 posts
3220 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: ... Sir XXX will always be noted.
Noted certainly but in a positive way? Not necessarily.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Jimbobs wrote:
Seems to me that by turning it down, he is making a much more impactful statement than by accepting it.

The mistake here is thinking it's an "honour". It's not: it's a statement by the establishment that previously rejected you and your kind that we're now happy to accept you because you have contributed to our model of the establishment.

Accepting this would be a complete rejection and slap in the face for the Black Lives Matter movement.
Baloney.
"The First Person Of Colour To Be Knighted By A British Monarch Was Sir William Conrad Reeves
When He Was Knighted In 1889 "....long before BLM.
"According to some, 3 of the 49 Knights of the Round Table were “black”: Not All the Knights of the Round Table Were White"
Jimbobs wrote: Noted certainly but in a positive way? Not necessarily.
Interesting to me why some people are so taken aback with how a foreign country honors it's citizens or honorees. Or is it only the British awards?
"According to some, 3 of the 49 Knights of the Round Table were “black”: Not All the Knights of the Round Table Were White"
This is not new nor prejudicial nor political. Some have politicized it by refusing but, no one cared. Not sure what you are trying to make of it.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Nov 24th, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 25, 2001
4601 posts
738 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: Huh???
* Some are fully aware of the British history including Lewis. It's up to him to accept or decline. Also, the Royals are the biggest welfare recipients in the world.
Last edited by MrDisco on Nov 25th, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
You can give a person knowledge, but you can't make them think. Some people want to remain fools because the truth requires change.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
maddawg wrote: * Some are fully aware of the British history including Lewis. It's up to him to accept or decline. Also, the Royals are the biggest welfare recipients in the world.
Huh??
:facepalm: Yeah, sure.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5975 posts
4422 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
maddawg wrote: * Some are fully aware of the British history including Lewis. It's up to him to accept or decline. Also, the Royals are the biggest welfare recipients in the world.
Funny you say that because the Crown Estate generates way more profits for the British government than it gives back out to the Royals. It’s literally a shitty deal for the Royals but they did it anyways to help out the government.
Last edited by MrDisco on Nov 25th, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)