Health & Wellness

Face mask for large faces+

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 8:19 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 7, 2010
146 posts
66 upvotes
T.Dot

Face mask for large faces+

Need to talk a lot for work and have a fairly big face (8 1/2" cheek to cheek, and 6" bridge to just under chin) where the standard disposable masks don't fit me well. In addition, because I'm also talking a lot and breathing harder, a lot of mask material gets sucked into my mouse and nose which is really annoying. Has anyone encountered masks with:

(a) made for larger faces,
(b) pre-shrunk material
(c) internal frame (would be nice but I don't expect it, would be cool if this was pre-made though)

I have seen these mask brackets from Amazon that are functional (DIY a similar style on my mask) but don't work well with a lot of talking.

Thanks all - be safe out there. Round 2 appears to be coming fast and furious.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
7350 posts
1524 upvotes
Scarborough
Just wear a face shield instead?

Alternately you can expand the ear loops with a paper clip.....
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 7, 2010
146 posts
66 upvotes
T.Dot
You do realize a face shield does not replace a face mask right? Sure, if you have breathing difficulties then by all means, something is better than nothing.

As for the paper clip thing, it does nothing to expand the material required to cover the face.
apnayloags wrote: Just wear a face shield instead?

Alternately you can expand the ear loops with a paper clip.....
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3635 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
the Under Armour mask should fit your needs. I have it but i doesn't fit my nose so well (but i dont have a larger bridge) so it kinda leaves a bit of space on either side of my nose to face.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
4390 posts
3389 upvotes
Vancouver
For large faces, you're limited to half facepiece respirators like the 3M 6300.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
12233 posts
2826 upvotes
I got a big head also. Under Armour masks come in all sizes. I wear the the XL/XXL... and to give a frame of reference to the size of my head, I can wear the disposable masks, but they are stretched to the limit. I wiggled my ears and managed to break both straps.

There is room around the mouth too. More so than other masks I tried. UA masks are not cheap. They are $35 each. Also you need to hand wash them. I haven't found a good cheap alternative, so I'm thinking about buying more.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2235 posts
1750 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Costco is now selling the larger disposable masks on line. We don't have larger faces but my friend says it's better.

Hippohug (Calgary) makes a larger mask, but it has ties instead of the elastic, the cloth is soft though. The other option is there are many local sellers, I had found some sewers in the early days to make mask to my specifications which could be larger too.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17519 posts
4621 upvotes
Toronto
This is not a joke. This is very serious.
There are places that will make a mask right in front of your eyes.
A place called The Poop Cafe saw that they could not make money during Covid 19, so to survive, they converted the place into to a mask making place.

They will make you a mask (made to fit you perfectly) while you wait. ➡https://www.blogto.com/fashion_style/20 ... ace-masks/

Note: Price of mask may be between $5-$7, depending on how much material they need to use.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 7, 2010
146 posts
66 upvotes
T.Dot
BRUTAL!!! And the reviews on UA Canada aren't even that good at 3.1/5 stars!

Roots has one that is quite large but apparently it is not pre-shrunk because someone washed it in hot water (which is what you're supposed to do) and the whole thing shrunk like a wool sweater. Not good for $22 each.

Heads up all, I purchased the large Uniqlo masks today (in-store only) and they are too small because the ear piece has minimal stretch. It does stretch but at the limits, the mask around the nose becomes distorted and there is a huge gap. Not having a nose piece doesn't help.

https://www.uniqlo.com/ca/en/products/E ... Code=COL09

joeyjoejoe wrote: I got a big head also. Under Armour masks come in all sizes. I wear the the XL/XXL... and to give a frame of reference to the size of my head, I can wear the disposable masks, but they are stretched to the limit. I wiggled my ears and managed to break both straps.

There is room around the mouth too. More so than other masks I tried. UA masks are not cheap. They are $35 each. Also you need to hand wash them. I haven't found a good cheap alternative, so I'm thinking about buying more.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 7, 2010
146 posts
66 upvotes
T.Dot
I would go if they could do a custom face mask for me on the spot but it's really out of my way. Dang! Good info though.
playnicee1 wrote: This is not a joke. This is very serious.
There are places that will make a mask right in front of your eyes.
A place called The Poop Cafe saw that they could not make money during Covid 19, so to survive, they converted the place into to a mask making place.

They will make you a mask (made to fit you perfectly) while you wait. ➡https://www.blogto.com/fashion_style/20 ... ace-masks/

Note: Price of mask may be between $5-$7, depending on how much material they need to use.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 7, 2010
146 posts
66 upvotes
T.Dot
Hippohug is interesting but 15$ flat rate shipping is getting ridiculous.

For those of you looking for the Costco item, link is below:

https://www.costco.ca/large-disposable- ... 85500.html
Macx2mommy wrote: Costco is now selling the larger disposable masks on line. We don't have larger faces but my friend says it's better.

Hippohug (Calgary) makes a larger mask, but it has ties instead of the elastic, the cloth is soft though. The other option is there are many local sellers, I had found some sewers in the early days to make mask to my specifications which could be larger too.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17519 posts
4621 upvotes
Toronto
Allan in T.Dot wrote: I would go if they could do a custom face mask for me on the spot but it's really out of my way. Dang! Good info though.
IT IS on the spot. You get to watch them making it while standing outside looking into the window.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 7, 2010
146 posts
66 upvotes
T.Dot
No I mean, custom as in do they take measurements of the face etc.

playnicee1 wrote: IT IS on the spot. You get to watch them making it while standing outside looking into the window.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17519 posts
4621 upvotes
Toronto
Allan in T.Dot wrote: No I mean, custom as in do they take measurements of the face etc.
I would phone them first to verify that, but I can tell you right now, I was very happy with the mask they made me.
You can kill two birds with one stone if you can think of an excuse to be in the Korean village for anything (ie H mart or a Korean restaurant) Smiling Face With Sunglasses
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3635 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: I got a big head also. Under Armour masks come in all sizes. I wear the the XL/XXL... and to give a frame of reference to the size of my head, I can wear the disposable masks, but they are stretched to the limit. I wiggled my ears and managed to break both straps.

There is room around the mouth too. More so than other masks I tried. UA masks are not cheap. They are $35 each. Also you need to hand wash them. I haven't found a good cheap alternative, so I'm thinking about buying more.
I wear the UA L/XL for the mask and i find the Muji one pretty comfortable. They are similar to the disposable ones but a bit more stretchy. Not really a bad buy since it's 2 for $10. It's really the nicest fitting one aside from Uniqlo (but I think Uniqlo ones would be too small for you).
Jr. Member
Apr 25, 2020
197 posts
61 upvotes
I have a big face too and I use Under Armour mask. Yeah it comes with sizes and it fits me well.

Top