Computers & Electronics

FaceApp - Viral App FaceApp Now Owns Access To More Than 150 Million People's Faces And Names

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2019 5:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5092 posts
1019 upvotes
Milton

FaceApp - Viral App FaceApp Now Owns Access To More Than 150 Million People's Faces And Names

Just a heads for those who are on the FaceApp trend: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsi ... and-names/

FaceApp terms of use:
You grant FaceApp a perpetual, irrevocable, nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, fully-paid, transferable sub-licensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, publicly perform and display your User Content and any name, username or likeness provided in connection with your User Content in all media formats and channels now known or later developed, without compensation to you. When you post or otherwise share User Content on or through our Services, you understand that your User Content and any associated information (such as your [username], location or profile photo) will be visible to the public.
12 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10972 posts
5805 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Great tool for stalkers.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Mar 10, 2019
31 posts
18 upvotes
... People STILL don't read the fine print. I love all the indignant responses I've seen on Twitter from people claiming "They can't use my image"! Yes, yes they can, you gave them permission ;)!
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1910 posts
511 upvotes
This reminds me of the DNA test tool marketed to "find your roots" when in fact once you do that the company then owns your DNA *FOREVER* and who knows what it will be used for.
No thanks
Apr 19, 2017
767 posts
581 upvotes
vodka wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 9:07 am
This reminds me of the DNA test tool marketed to "find your roots" when in fact once you do that the company then owns your DNA *FOREVER* and who knows what it will be used for.
No thanks
Theyre going to frame you for a crime later.
"Youve expressed an unauthorized opinion" End up in jail for life.
AirBnB, CucuCovers, Dipp, DROP, Flashfood, Foodora, Goodfood, GreatCanadianRebates, LendingLoop, Mintos, PayMi, PayTM, Ritual, SkiptheDishes, Stack, Swagbucks, Tangerine, TransferWise, Uber, Wealthsimple, Wealthsimple Trade
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
12957 posts
3088 upvotes
London
Guess what...

Facebook owns the rights to the photos of 2.4 billion people
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
10922 posts
1852 upvotes
If you read the fine print for any app. It is more or less the same thing with this. This is a non-story.

next...
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9508 posts
5916 upvotes
Edmonton
vodka wrote:
No thanks
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4637726

I think I read that this guy was caught because relatives ordered their DNA tests, and his identity was derived from that. And I believe Vancouver is looking at trying the same approach on one of their cold cases.

Then there’s this:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/techcrunch. ... h-dna/amp/

They’ve linked 33 people to police cases...

It’s apparently not enough to avoid using the DNA tests yourself if you’re a serial killer... You also have to keep your family members from doing so too.

C
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4764 posts
623 upvotes
Markham
sexyj wrote: If you read the fine print for any app. It is more or less the same thing with this. This is a non-story.

next...
Exactly. Its not whether you give, its which companies you decide to give
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24563 posts
4813 upvotes
vodka wrote:
No thanks
Has already been used in the US to find people responsible for cold-case crimes (primarily murderers, serial killers). They aren't even finding the people by the criminal having done one of the tests, they're doing it by identifying their relatives that did!

Say they have DNA evidence from crime scene(s) but no one to match it to. They get the 23andme or whatever websites to run it and find any possible matches or persons of relation. Then they go from there and it's not really to hard to find the culprit(s).

Has also been found admissible/constitutional since police are obtaining the DNA through a private company they are paying for the information. Also due to the terms of what you agree to when you do those tests you leave it open for the companies to sell this info to government/law enforcement--no civil recourse either. Granted a mere relative of a serial killer probably doesn't care and in this respect it's really not that bad a thing; but, it's still pretty messed up what they can do these days! :lol: If you ever committed a crime or plan to be sure not to take one of these tests or you'll soon be added to the never ending list of stupid criminals. Good luck though, stopping anyone remotely related you from doing one LOL.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15081 posts
1818 upvotes
Oshawa
CNeufeld wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 12:56 pm
It’s apparently not enough to avoid using the DNA tests yourself if you’re a serial killer... You also have to keep your family members from doing so too.
Solution seems clear...
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24563 posts
4813 upvotes
JAC wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 10:33 pm
Solution seems clear...
Kill your family members too? :lol: Oh and do it before they do the DNA things.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3820 posts
1051 upvotes
Viper98 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 9:13 am
Guess what...

Facebook owns the rights to the photos of 2.4 billion people
And instagram even more.