• Jul 18th, 2011 2:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3623 posts
1561 upvotes
Toronto

Facebook and Cyber-Bullying.

How would you handle cyber-bullying thru. Facebook? I recently noticed a family friend's Facebook has been written with personal attacking messages by her classmates (high-school). How would you proceed?

Thanks.
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes
DJ Trance AZ wrote: How would you handle cyber-bullying thru. Facebook? I recently noticed a family friend's Facebook has been written with personal attacking messages by her classmates (high-school). How would you proceed?

Thanks.

Post the offenders details on 4chan and let them take care of it.

Kidding aside, tell your family friend to not add FB "friends" that aren't real friends and keep their pages private for friends only. Problem solved.

I don't get this whole add everyone you've ever met in your life as a friend on facebook mentality that kids have these days.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3623 posts
1561 upvotes
Toronto
Her parents speak little English and I am very concerned about the girl. Do you think this is something the school can look into?
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2057 posts
1901 upvotes
DJ Trance AZ wrote: Her parents speak little English and I am very concerned about the girl. Do you think this is something the school can look into?

Why not? I think you should bring it up with the school. Check with the girl to see if she's okay.

But as the other poster already mentioned, you have the flexibility of removing people that you don't like on Facebook. When I was younger, I also added a lot of people. But as I grew older, I realized that I didn't know/talk to much of these people and removed a lot people off my FB profile.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18004 posts
8988 upvotes
DJ Trance AZ wrote: Her parents speak little English and I am very concerned about the girl. Do you think this is something the school can look into?

The school has little power over students in their personal time away from school - you can bring it up with them however you risk making the situation worse because there is really no course of action the school can take to punish those involved. Unless we're referring to something major I wouldn't hold out hope of the school helping.

I think the above recommendations of solving it on your own, through removing the users from the Facebook page, seem to make the most sense. It's the equivalent of walking away from a fight rather than staying and fighting.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
741 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: The school has little power over students in their personal time away from school - you can bring it up with them however you risk making the situation worse because there is really no course of action the school can take to punish those involved. Unless we're referring to something major I wouldn't hold out hope of the school helping.

I think the above recommendations of solving it on your own, through removing the users from the Facebook page, seem to make the most sense. It's the equivalent of walking away from a fight rather than staying and fighting.

If this is against the law...which it is. If reported to a teacher the would report it accordingly. This is assault and the police are brought in all of the time for such situations driven by originally speaking with a teacher.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18004 posts
8988 upvotes
nalababe wrote: If this is against the law...which it is. If reported to a teacher the would report it accordingly. This is assault and the police are brought in all of the time for such situations driven by originally speaking with a teacher.

My apologies - I don't live in Ontario and had no idea there was a "cyber bullying" law in place.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
50 upvotes
London ON
TrevorK wrote: My apologies - I don't live in Ontario and had no idea there was a "cyber bullying" law in place.

only because children are weak these days
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
979 upvotes
Niagara Falls
There is no one at the schools now, during in school times the staff definitely take these things seriously. Frankly, the girl in question needs to delete and block on FB the offenders, and lock her profile down tight to the highest security settings across the board.

And because we're talking teen girls... I'd be willing to bet she's not an innocent angel in the mess. ;) She needs to learn there are consequences to her actions and hopefully her parents get computer literate really fast and get a handle on what's going on and deal with it... Kids and teens still need supervision, especially on the net...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7245 posts
2882 upvotes
Calgary
I have a feeling that we're not getting the whole picture here. If this is a teen that we're talking about, she is old enough to have her own Facebook account, old enough to make friends/enemies, she should be old enough to know how to delete those "friends" on her account. If she's not willing to delete them, she chose to stay in that social circle and to suffer from the consequences. I know cyber-bulling exists and it can be very cruel. On the other hand, a teenager needs to learn how to discuss problems with responsible adults also to stand up for herself. If she doesn't want to listen to advice then it's her choice. Unfortunately, some people (adults included) just have to learn their lessons the hard way.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
741 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: My apologies - I don't live in Ontario and had no idea there was a "cyber bullying" law in place.

It is not ontario based. Cyber Bullying falls under assault and is treated as such. No different than physical bullying except in many instances there is far more evidence and traceability.

It has nothing to do with being weak either...examples of what my wife has had to deal with would make you sick.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
741 upvotes
althetrainer wrote: I have a feeling that we're not getting the whole picture here. If this is a teen that we're talking about, she is old enough to have her own Facebook account, old enough to make friends/enemies, she should be old enough to know how to delete those "friends" on her account. If she's not willing to delete them, she chose to stay in that social circle and to suffer from the consequences. I know cyber-bulling exists and it can be very cruel. On the other hand, a teenager needs to learn how to discuss problems with responsible adults also to stand up for herself. If she doesn't want to listen to advice then it's her choice. Unfortunately, some people (adults included) just have to learn their lessons the hard way.

In many instances even if they are blocked, it is the communication that is peripheral ....since it is a network, they just have to post that appears on one of your friends. And you will see it. Also, does not have to be directed specifically to that person to greatly impact them.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22301 posts
3161 upvotes
nalababe wrote: It is not ontario based. Cyber Bullying falls under assault and is treated as such. No different than physical bullying except in many instances there is far more evidence and traceability.

It has nothing to do with being weak either...examples of what my wife has had to deal with would make you sick.

Umm..no.

"Assault" is a Criminal Code offense with specific elements, cyber bulling itself does not fall into this category.

In terms of criminal offenses, cyber bulling may proceed as harassment or defamatory libel.

At the provincial level the Safe Schools Act makes it an offense to commit cyber bulling, providing disciplinary power to the principal and beyond.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
402 upvotes
GT&A
I don't have a facebook account and hope my son won't one too.

Let's see how it goes... :D
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18004 posts
8988 upvotes
nalababe wrote: It is not ontario based. Cyber Bullying falls under assault and is treated as such. No different than physical bullying except in many instances there is far more evidence and traceability.

I think you're stretching quite far as to whether cyber-bullying is considered "assault".
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
402 upvotes
Whether or not the child's parents speak english have little to do with the issue..

The situation sounds as if the teenager chooses to have these friends on her facebook. That's significantly different than bullies cornering her in school every day. Personally I think the problem lies with her choice to remain friends with these bullies, and it's the parents' responsibilities to educate their child to stay away from these fake friends.

Depending on how close you are with her family, you may be better off approaching the teenager yourself, just to ask her how everything is. Just say you notice on her wall that some girls at school are saying mean things to her, and that maybe you're too old to understand it, but is that how kids talk to each other these days? Then you can slowly work into the conversation how she needs to stay away from friends who are not respecting her.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1472 posts
825 upvotes
Vancouver
longitude wrote: I don't have a facebook account and hope my son won't one too.

Let's see how it goes... :D

+1

On the flip side, I have friends who registered their babies on facebook within days they were born. :facepalm: