Facebook

Locked: Facebook Portal 10" Smart Display with Alexa - $188 for 2 tax in

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2022 2:08 am
Nov 3, 2009
417 posts
210 upvotes
Winnipeg
DanielP46916 wrote: NM! Have to add 1, two times. Not 2 at once.

I'm not seeing how to get this deal on the site linked? Added 2 to cart and no diff in price.
add two to the cart, then click on the cart. price showed up for me
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4472 posts
1149 upvotes
Hamilton
brunes wrote: The killer app of this is that it also supports Zoom, Webex, Teams, BlueJeans, and many other video calling systems that Echo devices don't.

I wish the TV version supported these though - I would buy it in a heartbeat if it did.
Ankerwork B600
Supposed to be great for a tv. Comes out Jan 25
Last edited by sidshock on Jan 4th, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4472 posts
1149 upvotes
Hamilton
OVOSound wrote: The same people that hate on this are the same ones that use whatsapp and have/want an Oculus. Ironic. Just stay off the internet if you’re that paranoid.

These are devices really good to keep in touch with grandparents and the elderly who arent too tech savvy. Super easy to use as well.

Check out SIGNAL.
From the original maker of WhatsApp and more secure than telegram.

Its basically the original WhatsApp with a new name
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19704 posts
2434 upvotes
sidshock wrote:
Ankerwork B600
Supposed to be great for a tv. Comes out Jan 25
That's not even close to the same thing.

The B600 is just a fancy Webcam that you need a PC for. It's an entirely different use case than being able to casually do large scale video calls on a TV at any time. Also if I was going to spend $220+ on a Webcam for video calls, I'd just buy one of these instead.
Last edited by brunes on Jan 4th, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2012
1139 posts
928 upvotes
Everywhere
All data is being collected these days. Is this product and company any worse than others? Sure FB is horrible, but they just happened to get caught.

People have no problem jumping on a price error and providing their name, address, and payment info; downloading apps for freebies that request identity/camera/location; enabling data permissions on social media apps; doing surveys with personal info, etc. etc.

For the value and functionality it provides at this price, this seems like a good product. Sure you can recommend an equivalent from a Chinese company, but how is that any better in terms of privacy/reliability?

And as others above said, there is a use case for this product. Don't understand or like it? Downvote and/or move on.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4472 posts
1149 upvotes
Hamilton
brunes wrote: That's not even close to the same thing.

The B600 is just a fancy Webcam that you need a PC for. It's an entirely different use case than being able to casually do large scale video calls on a TV at any time. Also if I was going to spend $220+ on a Webcam for video calls, I'd just buy one of these instead.
I think they advertise it as being able to attach to your tv and interact with all the tv apps.
So as long as tv supports skype, zoom, Teams. Etc.

I'm just assuming here. So I apologise if I'm off.

I just saw someone looking for something with a "tv" and I replied to that post.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
22736 posts
10555 upvotes
Toronto
We have really enjoyed Portal TV. You set it up in front of your television and can make phone calls over Messenger and they load up on the screen.

Much easier to have a conversation with the grandparents during COVID for 2 year olds.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2017
1137 posts
880 upvotes
toxic portal is a more appropriate name
profit on 6/23/2021 = 117.61% since 11/10/2020 to be exact😎
Apr 1, 2021
8 posts
6 upvotes
I wouldn't take one even they are free, lmao
Apr 30, 2017
561 posts
1003 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, Quebec
When they pay 188$ to have it, only then will I never put that in my house.
Jun 18, 2017
695 posts
528 upvotes
Interesting as big echo show to display my door bell and other cameras.
Jan 12, 2017
684 posts
642 upvotes
I bought my mom one for Christmas last year, she tried it once and it's still.in the box :(
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4556 posts
848 upvotes
Toronto
I enjoy my portal TV. Picked up 2 more for other family members. Don't understand the point of other comments, if it's not for you, why crap on it for others.
Board games!!!!
Aug 19, 2017
17 posts
7 upvotes
Is this suitable for 89 year old who is hard of hearing and cannot read english. Would they be able to navigate WhatsApp calling? (ie call by selecting whatsapp profile picture)
May 23, 2009
103 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: I enjoy my portal TV. Picked up 2 more for other family members. Don't understand the point of other comments, if it's not for you, why crap on it for others.
It's because Facebook is the scum of the earth when it comes to handling your data. They're terrible, they sell your information to literally anyone who is willing to pay and they have no moral compass whatsoever. There are no repercussions to their actions other than Zuck feeling bad and doing it again anyway. They've done absolutely terrible shit with people's data (see Cambridge Analytica, the recent whistleblower, profiling kids so that they can target them later on as adults (also the failed attempt at instagram kids), manipulating people's stance by targeting fake articles to them etc etc)

People paying for this device is not only seen as rewarding Facebook but you're also giving them full video and microphone access to your home AND network.

The hate for this product is well deserved
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4556 posts
848 upvotes
Toronto
But this is a deal thread, not a discussion thread. I don't see how people's views on the parent company have anything to do with the product. Why not crap on Huawei products? Or products from companies with poor sustainability controls? Or companies partly state owned by countries with inhumane practices? These discussions are all valid, but have nothing to do on a deal thread.
tkaravou wrote: It's because Facebook is the scum of the earth when it comes to handling your data. They're terrible, they sell your information to literally anyone who is willing to pay and they have no moral compass whatsoever. There are no repercussions to their actions other than Zuck feeling bad and doing it again anyway. They've done absolutely terrible shit with people's data (see Cambridge Analytica, the recent whistleblower, profiling kids so that they can target them later on as adults (also the failed attempt at instagram kids), manipulating people's stance by targeting fake articles to them etc etc)

People paying for this device is not only seen as rewarding Facebook but you're also giving them full video and microphone access to your home AND network.

The hate for this product is well deserved
Last edited by projectmoonlightcafe on Jan 4th, 2022 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Board games!!!!
Mar 7, 2011
581 posts
800 upvotes
For people who are defending Facebook here go and read up "The Facebook Files" from Wall Street Journal. They are responsible for lot of issues that teenagers are facing these days. They were aware of how their products are impacting mental health of certain demographic but did not take any action to protect their bottom line.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4556 posts
848 upvotes
Toronto
Not one comment on this thread is defending Facebook's practices.
yashgandhi wrote: For people who are defending Facebook here go and read up "The Facebook Files" from Wall Street Journal. They are responsible for lot of issues that teenagers are facing these days. They were aware of how their products are impacting mental health of certain demographic but did not take any action to protect their bottom line.
Board games!!!!
Jul 31, 2016
536 posts
1000 upvotes
Whitby
Everybody who shits on privacy concerns clearly has nothing of value worth protecting. Either a business idea, confidential info, or children. If you listen to Zuckerberg on podcasts (like Masters of Scale), he's not too concerned about code quality if it means slowing down product launches. This means the thing that you're putting in your house likely doesn't follow best practices for security, etc and is easier to hack than it should be. This is on top of all the misuse of data by FB. If you're ok with your children's images being exploited online, then feel free to save the $20 or whatever it is. And if you think that's unlikely go online and see how many hacked devices have contributed to the exploitation of children and women (and to some extent men).
Jul 17, 2011
94 posts
81 upvotes
Saw the post and entered for the salt. Thanks OP.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)