Facebook

Locked: Facebook Portal 10" Smart Display with Alexa - $188 for 2 tax in

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2022 2:08 am
Apr 19, 2014
235 posts
201 upvotes
Markham, ON
I have a personal FB account (only reason I haven't closed is as I have tonnes of family across the globe who still use FB).
I wouldn't buy this with FB's history of questionable practices.

I use Facebook and their other services for business purposes (hard to avoid).
Jul 31, 2021
82 posts
246 upvotes
I closed my Facebook account 2 years ago and will never create one again. Portal works with a WhatsApp account as well.

But Portals are great devices, I have a Portal TV mounted on my TV in our living room. With regular border closures and the Canadian government screwing over immigrants by slowing visa processing to an absolute crawl, it's the device that connects my mother with my child.

Sure we could do a WhatsApp call on the phone, but best of luck keeping a 2 year old in focus. With the Portal TV, it's as close to her being in our living room for 30 minutes every evening.

Sure, social media creates echo chambers and can be misused to divide people. But when used for the right reasons, it can help connect people together as well. By no means is this a must buy, but its a pretty good deal if you have similar use cases to put it towards.
Sep 30, 2001
29162 posts
8583 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry op, the post is appreciated but it will just end up with pages of the same negativity that was seen the last time a similar deal was shared
Be kind and civil with one another