Shopping Discussion

Facebook Marketplace Cell Phone Plan -- Too Good to Be True?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2021 5:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2009
2217 posts
881 upvotes

Facebook Marketplace Cell Phone Plan -- Too Good to Be True?

I'm searching for a new plan.

I came across someone on facebook selling a 10gb plan for $35 bucks first line, $30 for the second. Plan comes with unlimited Canada wide texting/calling/etc. It is with Koodo.

I messaged him. He is a couple of hours away from me but said I could get a TELUS sim nearby (he would let the person working at the nearby store know) and he could do the activation over the phone.

What's the catch with these offers on facebook? Scam? He is not using his real, personal facebook profile.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22861 posts
21710 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
goodguy90 wrote: I'm searching for a new plan.

I came across someone on facebook selling a 10gb plan for $35 bucks first line, $30 for the second. Plan comes with unlimited Canada wide texting/calling/etc. It is with Koodo.

I messaged him. He is a couple of hours away from me but said I could get a TELUS sim nearby (he would let the person working at the nearby store know) and he could do the activation over the phone.

What's the catch with these offers on facebook? Scam? He is not using his real, personal facebook profile.
Lol you posted this question here on RFD

Obviously YOUR GUT is telling you something isn’t kosher

Go with that NATURAL INSTINCT
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47773 posts
8483 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Most of those ads on FB Marketplace are just from dealers - I've seen many ads from franchaised Mobile Shops (inside Loblaws/RCSS), or the smaller kiosks inside malls. If you're dealing with a store, there's probably no catch. At worst, they're probably just applying their own referral codes to give you the deal and/or so they can earn commission on the sale.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5276 posts
3742 upvotes
Vancouver
Setup an appointment at a nearby store and see. If you are doing it at a store, there really shouldn’t be any issues. It’s likely just a promo going on similar to random pop up promo you might find at malls. Shaw, Telus, Rogers, and bell do this all the time for internet/tv/phone/mobile all the time.

As long as you aren’t required to give out much personal info on the phone, it should be relatively safe. Doing it at a store more or less should confirm it’s legitimate. If you are still uncomfortable try calling Telus to ask them about these specific ads to see if they are legitimate (they should be).