Off Topic

Facial Recognition System in Chinese Supermarkets?

Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2943 upvotes
wear an LED necklace. I heard that it confuses the cameras.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3288 posts
390 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Go inside naked, the AI will censor you.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5335 posts
3352 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Or wear a mask, you know.
I've read that china already has AI that can recognize faces with masks on. Masks like medical masks... not the venom mask in this thread. lol
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18791 posts
2067 upvotes
mech9t5 wrote: I've read that china already has AI that can recognize faces with masks on. Masks like medical masks... not the venom mask in this thread. lol
In China, there's AI that will recognize your gait.

https://apnews.com/bf75dd1c26c947b7826d270a16e2658a
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Mar 9, 2018
120 posts
19 upvotes
If it stops theft, it sounds like a good idea. Hopefully it is accurate and does not single out people of color. A lot of times these systems are not designed with people of color in mind, and it ends up with a lot of false readings. That would be especially tragic considering everything going on right now.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1118 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto
There are camera in almost all supermarkets and other stores. Who know what is really being done with the data!
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9713 posts
1205 upvotes
GTA
I just watched a documentary at Hot Docs online called Coded Bias which is talking about facial recognition technology and part of it shows some stores in China use facial recognition technology for payment so I am guessing that is what it is.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... technology

Link to documentary (can still buy ticket/rent until June 24th)
https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/websales/p ... 3fb4337e9d&
Oct 31, 2012
597 posts
26 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
The Chinese are tracking how many cucumbers you buy! Face With Tears Of Joy

Most likely thermal. Nobody cares what you buy.
Black lives matter!
Jun 4, 2018
298 posts
193 upvotes
Windsor/Essex Ontari…
Never54321 wrote: If it stops theft, it sounds like a good idea. Hopefully it is accurate and does not single out people of color. A lot of times these systems are not designed with people of color in mind, and it ends up with a lot of false readings.
Are you saying they all look alike?
Mar 9, 2018
120 posts
19 upvotes
Definitely not saying that. I'm pointing out the racial bias programmers who may have unconscious racism.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
8718 posts
3677 upvotes
Toronto
I just wanna say, this newly opened (well relatively new) C&C Supermarket has some great deals! I'm a white guy that honestly loves to shop at Chinese supermarkets all time. I thought Sunny's is good but this place has better prices on produce and all that
Apr 15, 2014
913 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The camera and monitor are setup primarily as a deterrent. That's how security is most effective. Person intending to commit crime approaches the door, sees his face and thinks again, turns around and walks away.
Please respond