Fashion & Beauty

What's a good scrub for acne-prone skin?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2019 7:14 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Jul 31, 2019
2 posts

What's a good scrub for acne-prone skin?

I need to know good scrub for acne-prone skin? Currently, i am using St.ive's oatmeal scrub but pimples emerge. any suggestions, please
21 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10122 posts
1540 upvotes
Do not use scrubs, those are harsh on your skin.

If you feel you do need to exfoliate and remove extra skin, use a BHA solution (salicylic acid) ingredient in either a toner, cleaner or moisturizer. It can penetrate through oil and clean your pores from the inside.

Also do not over dry your face, that is what is causing the acne usually unless you have hormonal acne. Dehydrated skin is the cause of most issues along with sun damage. Use a gentle cleanser that does not remove the moisture from your skin but just cleanses the skin. And you must moisturize.

If you have open acne wounds, avoid drying out the area, just treat it gently with a gentle cleanser and moisturize. You need to repair the skin barrier.

Over-drying and irritation will only further damage your skin.

If you want to start and sample some products, DECIEM may have some products for you, they are super affordable and allows you to experiment which products work for you. You really only need a good cleanser, moisturizer and a BHA solution/product.
Last edited by speedyforme on Aug 6th, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 15, 2004
19698 posts
3762 upvotes
Toronto
Check our r/skincareaddiction. As speedyforme said, don't use scrubs. They'll just irritate your skin.

I use Cerave's hydrating cleanser in the shower, and a chemical exfoliant my girlfriend gave me every couple of days after I swim, and I'm pretty happy with the results. Cerave has a salicylic acid cleanser as well, so that may be a good start. Cetaphil/Cerave are my go-to brands that are pretty commonly available and not too expensive.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10122 posts
1540 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: Check our r/skincareaddiction. As speedyforme said, don't use scrubs. They'll just irritate your skin.

I use Cerave's hydrating cleanser in the shower, and a chemical exfoliant my girlfriend gave me every couple of days after I swim, and I'm pretty happy with the results. Cerave has a salicylic acid cleanser as well, so that may be a good start. Cetaphil/Cerave are my go-to brands that are pretty commonly available and not too expensive.
I had a sample of the CeraVe hydrating cleanser and the foaming one and for some reason the foaming feels more hydrating which is sooooo weird. I really wanted to like the hydrating one. So I bought both but I think I will choose the foaming one.

Do you use their moisturizer as well? Which one do you use?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 15, 2004
19698 posts
3762 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme wrote: I had a sample of the CeraVe hydrating cleanser and the foaming one and for some reason the foaming feels more hydrating which is sooooo weird. I really wanted to like the hydrating one. So I bought both but I think I will choose the foaming one.

Do you use their moisturizer as well? Which one do you use?
Nah, I use this on my face: https://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Protect-Su ... 997I2?th=1 (gf gets it for me. No idea where she gets it from)

I tried the Cerave facial moisturizer with sunscreen I bought on my last trip to Manhattan and I found it feels very 'suffocating' for my skin. I always end up sweating like crazy when it's on and I think a fair amount of it washes off that way. The Canadian one may be different, but I haven't tried it yet.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10122 posts
1540 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: Nah, I use this on my face: https://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Protect-Su ... 997I2?th=1 (gf gets it for me. No idea where she gets it from)

I tried the Cerave facial moisturizer with sunscreen and I found it feels very 'suffocating' for my skin. I always end up sweating like crazy when it's on and I think a fair amount of it washes off that way.
Wait that is a sunscreen, not a moisturizer.....

Also do you have oily, dry, combo or normal skin?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 15, 2004
19698 posts
3762 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme wrote: Wait that is a sunscreen, not a moisturizer.....

Also do you have oily, dry, combo or normal skin?
Normal/combo skin. The Nivea stuff works really well for me, and doesn't have the white colour like other ones do. I only apply moisturizer in the morning all over my face after I shave, so it's important that I get one with sunscreen to help protect my face after I've scraped off some of the protective layer of dead skin with the hair.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6521 posts
1286 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: Nah, I use this on my face: https://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Protect-Su ... 997I2?th=1 (gf gets it for me. No idea where she gets it from)

I tried the Cerave facial moisturizer with sunscreen I bought on my last trip to Manhattan and I found it feels very 'suffocating' for my skin. I always end up sweating like crazy when it's on and I think a fair amount of it washes off that way. The Canadian one may be different, but I haven't tried it yet.
I never wear moisturizers with sunscreen. I don't like the feel and I don't need sunscreen at night. I like this one by Cerave:

https://www.cerave.ca/our-products/mois ... ing-lotion
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6521 posts
1286 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: What kind of skin type do you have?

I have oily and found it to be too heavy for me. But I love the properties of it.
TBH, I'm not 100% sure (lol) but mostly normal with a small dry patch that happens in the winter. I moved to this lotion after looking for a cheaper alternative to Keihls.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3543 posts
718 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme - for some reason some skin care lines call their cleansers for dry skin "foaming" - it causes all sorts of problems, especially for those of us who do in fact have dry skin and are hesitant when we see the word "foaming" since one would expect the product to be made for more oilier skin tpes. Since I can't use Cerave I do not know if this is the case with this company, but I have run across the issue with 3 other companies. And, yes, the foaming cleanser was in fact for dry skin. Although I have such dry, thin skin that I feel dry immediately after I wash my face anyway.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10122 posts
1540 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote: speedyforme - for some reason some skin care lines call their cleansers for dry skin "foaming" - it causes all sorts of problems, especially for those of us who do in fact have dry skin and are hesitant when we see the word "foaming" since one would expect the product to be made for more oilier skin tpes. Since I can't use Cerave I do not know if this is the case with this company, but I have run across the issue with 3 other companies. And, yes, the foaming cleanser was in fact for dry skin. Although I have such dry, thin skin that I feel dry immediately after I wash my face anyway.
It's funny because the bottle specifically says for oily skin and the hydrating cleanser says for dry skin so I am confused. And I wanted to avoid the foaming one due to some ingredients that make it foamy and I would rather avoid them even though I do not have any sensitivity to it.

What cleanser do you use then? Oil cleansers and gel cleansers are pretty gentle and non-stripping of natural oils.

Oddly enough in the past month, I went from super oily to normal oily skin and my skin can actually feel dry even with just water rinse. I have found that hydration made a big difference and I have been incorporating hydrating toners and mists in addition to my 2 moisturizers and it seems to make a difference.
Banned
Jul 19, 2018
181 posts
77 upvotes
After having really bad skin for a long time, I started changing my pillow covers a lot more and along with washing my face daily before going to sleep, it's made a tremendous difference. Personally speaking, diet was also a factor for me. So i would look into those before you spend $$ on a new product.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10122 posts
1540 upvotes
dealChimp wrote: After having really bad skin for a long time, I started changing my pillow covers a lot more and along with washing my face daily before going to sleep, it's made a tremendous difference. Personally speaking, diet was also a factor for me. So i would look into those before you spend $$ on a new product.
Oh I just assumed that most people wash their face every evening and never touch your face with anything lol.

But even with that, I still had acne due to diet (as you say) and also due to using the wrong products and just drying and irritating my skin more.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3543 posts
718 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme - I hate to say it (and I hate to pay for it) but generally a Japanese brand - used to be cle de peau, now it is Decorte. Shiseido is considerably cheaper but one had beads in it which are not good for dry skin no matter what the company/consultants say and the new one that is supposedly for dry skin (extra creamy) causes even dry skin to become drier. Actually one of the Shiseido consultants who has normal skin used the new Shiseido extra creamy cleanser for dry skin and it dried her skin out.

I have many allergies - to food and products - hence the pricing issue. I really wish I could use products that cost a lot less but I can't. It wouldn't matter if I won the lottery I would still have to continue using the products I use - until of course the inevitable reformulation or discontinuation of a product. This happens a lot. Sunscreen is a major problem and I am very fair - with roseacea. I can't use a cream with a combined SPF - it has to be a separate SPF put on top of everything else I use - and finding one that is moisturizing and not drying is a major challenge. Then there is the turning white clothing yellow from the sunscreen. Makeup is the same - being very acidic (as are many people) 99% of the products seriously oxidize on me to the point that people who have seen it would have thought I was crazy had they not seen it. For this reason I tend to buy from people who know and understand my skin issues.

And nothing is harsher than "natural" products!
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10122 posts
1540 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote: speedyforme - I hate to say it (and I hate to pay for it) but generally a Japanese brand - used to be cle de peau, now it is Decorte. Shiseido is considerably cheaper but one had beads in it which are not good for dry skin no matter what the company/consultants say and the new one that is supposedly for dry skin (extra creamy) causes even dry skin to become drier. Actually one of the Shiseido consultants who has normal skin used the new Shiseido extra creamy cleanser for dry skin and it dried her skin out.

I have many allergies - to food and products - hence the pricing issue. I really wish I could use products that cost a lot less but I can't. It wouldn't matter if I won the lottery I would still have to continue using the products I use - until of course the inevitable reformulation or discontinuation of a product. This happens a lot. Sunscreen is a major problem and I am very fair - with roseacea. I can't use a cream with a combined SPF - it has to be a separate SPF put on top of everything else I use - and finding one that is moisturizing and not drying is a major challenge. Then there is the turning white clothing yellow from the sunscreen. Makeup is the same - being very acidic (as are many people) 99% of the products seriously oxidize on me to the point that people who have seen it would have thought I was crazy had they not seen it. For this reason I tend to buy from people who know and understand my skin issues.

And nothing is harsher than "natural" products!
Have you tried Ordinary or CosRX brands? I think almost all of their products are for really sensitive skin people.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3543 posts
718 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme - Last time I asked about The Ordinary I was told "no" due to the Vitamin C and Lavender Oil (although Lavender Oil was not written as such in the ingredients list). I haven't tired CosRX brands though - will check them out. Thank you for the recommendation.

I do have an issue though - my skin is very sensitive - yet I can't use products recommended for sensitive skin - too many vitamins etc. (I have been to an allergist.) Many people are like me. I do have a line on another product and I will update you if it works out - all I need is one product - sometimes that is all I can use from one line and then another from another line and so on. Even I would think I was crazy if I didn't see the horrible results! However, last time I was focused on a new line the consultant told me not a chance that it would work on my skin type - she had tried it and it was a disaster and she had far more normal skin that I do. It is a good thing that I always buy from the same person and not one who is just focused on a sale.

The best advice I was ever given was to use a hydrating cream beneath a skin care cream - and it has paid off. Of course now it is difficult to find a hydrating cream/serum that I can use that is not based on botanicals, acids or is a sleeping cream. I do use a night cream during the day to get away from the combined day cream with SPF added. I absolutely though need a cream that will absorb though, not sit on my skin.

I will update after my shopping trip which will be today. I HATE paying a fortune for something that will be washed down the sink. I use to be able to buy a reasonably priced cleanser etc. but that changed with all of the "improvements". It is like many things in this world - products are improved to the point where you can no longer use them or it isn't worth the bother. For example, Orlane. I use to do really well with Orlane and often they had specials that really limited my expenses but it got to the point where the older products I used were reformulated due to the trends of the moment and so I moved on - and on. What is a pain is that Orlane was available at a couple of SDM's so I only used my points on it. Now Orlane is toast due to reformulation. It becomes very tiresome. Then there is my hair - it is another issue! Although for my age apparently I have good hair - not "menopausal" but we all want what we don't have.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10122 posts
1540 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote: speedyforme - Last time I asked about The Ordinary I was told "no" due to the Vitamin C and Lavender Oil (although Lavender Oil was not written as such in the ingredients list). I haven't tired CosRX brands though - will check them out. Thank you for the recommendation.

I do have an issue though - my skin is very sensitive - yet I can't use products recommended for sensitive skin - too many vitamins etc. (I have been to an allergist.) Many people are like me. I do have a line on another product and I will update you if it works out - all I need is one product - sometimes that is all I can use from one line and then another from another line and so on. Even I would think I was crazy if I didn't see the horrible results! However, last time I was focused on a new line the consultant told me not a chance that it would work on my skin type - she had tried it and it was a disaster and she had far more normal skin that I do. It is a good thing that I always buy from the same person and not one who is just focused on a sale.

The best advice I was ever given was to use a hydrating cream beneath a skin care cream - and it has paid off. Of course now it is difficult to find a hydrating cream/serum that I can use that is not based on botanicals, acids or is a sleeping cream. I do use a night cream during the day to get away from the combined day cream with SPF added. I absolutely though need a cream that will absorb though, not sit on my skin.

I will update after my shopping trip which will be today. I HATE paying a fortune for something that will be washed down the sink. I use to be able to buy a reasonably priced cleanser etc. but that changed with all of the "improvements". It is like many things in this world - products are improved to the point where you can no longer use them or it isn't worth the bother. For example, Orlane. I use to do really well with Orlane and often they had specials that really limited my expenses but it got to the point where the older products I used were reformulated due to the trends of the moment and so I moved on - and on. What is a pain is that Orlane was available at a couple of SDM's so I only used my points on it. Now Orlane is toast due to reformulation. It becomes very tiresome. Then there is my hair - it is another issue! Although for my age apparently I have good hair - not "menopausal" but we all want what we don't have.
I have or had super oily skin. I can't imagine how sensitive skins can find products because so many products out there have things that can be irritating.

I never knew Ordinary has lavender oil in them.

I thought Avene has a tolerance or some kind of sensitive line that may be good too.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19107 posts
7180 upvotes
Toronto
Cetaphil gentle or oily skin cleanser. Don't use a scrub.

Top