Expired Hot Deals

Factory Direct

*DEAD* Kobo Arc 10 HD 2560x1600 is now $79.98 (free ship)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2016 10:52 am
[OP]
Jan 19, 2006
539 posts
377 upvotes
BC

[Factory Direct] *DEAD* Kobo Arc 10 HD 2560x1600 is now $79.98 (free ship)

See previous thread to follow root/flashing to CM12.1.1 Android 5

dead-factorydirect-kobo-arc-10-hd-2560x ... #p26810976
Last edited by cloudsuck on Nov 28th, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
39 replies
Nov 17, 2016
293 posts
288 upvotes
Free shipping as well. If you are in the west this is important as there are no stores and shipping was expensive.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2003
1012 posts
779 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Travellots wrote: Free shipping as well. If you are in the west this is important as there are no stores and shipping was expensive.
Just be careful. I had examine 3 of these in store before I found one that worked properly so that I could buy it. Great tablet otherwise.
Fido
Koodo
[OP]
Jan 19, 2006
539 posts
377 upvotes
BC
FWIIW I have one running on CM 12.1.1 with kernel 6. It works much better than previous ROM and kernel but still occasionally freezes and sometimes will experience the diagonal screen tearing. I have noticed that this usually will recover when rebooted IF the battery is>75%. At >75% battery the reboot may freeze and Mr blue will screen tear diagonally.

Any opinion if this is just the ROM or could this be a hardware issue?

I was considering reverting to the original stock firmware, but could not find a guide that would hold my noob hand with enough confidence to try flash it back :rolleyes:

Price is right on this unit!!
Nov 17, 2016
293 posts
288 upvotes
Primetyme wrote: Just be careful. I had examine 3 of these in store before I found one that worked properly so that I could buy it. Great tablet otherwise.
What was the issue for first two? Didn't even power on?
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
cloudsuck wrote: Does this mean that you can install the drmfix-cm10hd and no longer need to use the Xposed Installer workaround? If so I will give it a try!!

Thanks!
Correct.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2839 posts
561 upvotes
are these somehow better then the samsung 8" 16gb? id guess no, but wonder. because i think these are cheap on kijiji aswell from afew sellers of open box units.
Sep 6, 2013
153 posts
36 upvotes
Edmonton
hows this compare to chuwi hi8 pro? im looking to watch videos and play games like hearthstone.
Aug 28, 2016
116 posts
43 upvotes
I don't know this tablet was released a long time ago YMMV.
Dec 20, 2006
460 posts
273 upvotes
There must be a warehouse full of these things somewhere. I would think the stock would be depleted by now.

At any rate, remember that this thing doesn't have an sd-card slot. I always get excited when I see it on sale and then remember this, which makes me reconsider.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2839 posts
561 upvotes
That and generally factory direct tends to sell poo. like the guy said he had to go thru 3 to get a good one.
Feb 7, 2014
266 posts
93 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Travellots wrote: Free shipping as well. If you are in the west this is important as there are no stores and shipping was expensive.
I ordered a Kobo Aura HD from another on-line site like 'factory direct' and the unit had a faulty charge port (it was really jiggly and would toggle on and off when plugged in) and the screen had ghost images. Returning the unit (via post/courier) was a real hassle. You are better off spending a few extra $ with a RFD new name brand tablet w/warranty.
Sep 6, 2013
153 posts
36 upvotes
Edmonton
wait is this refurbished? or is that just the warranty
Nov 19, 2012
479 posts
340 upvotes
Got this on the $99 "peel" deal and have had very few issues with it. Plays kids games, movies, runs kodi. If it's a good working unit, it's a steal at $79. Seems like a roll of the dice with this company though.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
1383 posts
255 upvotes
EDM Area
Looking for a tablet just for reading comics with marvel unlimited, would this one be good for that?
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12647 posts
7771 upvotes
Markham
I remember they sold it at 99, are those the leftovers?
Aug 17, 2012
364 posts
367 upvotes
Vancouver
Bought one of these awhile back. Loved it at first. Nice screen. But it's heavy and over time I get freezing that requires hard reset, and phantom presses, which is really annoying in games where it makes moves I don't make, or movies where I will start a video and randomly will seek to the end of the video, causing me to lose my place or not even notice when it happens. When the battery drains you start getting anomalies as well. At first it happened at 30% battery, now at 70%. It's basically something I can only use if I keep it plugged in. It might randomly behave through one full charge, but I don't trust it.

Also I basically can't move over any files through USB larger than 50mb. Don't know if it's freezing caused by storage problems, but the file just won't complete transfer and randomly will leave the incomplete file.

Will try flashing the new version to see what gets fixed.
Last edited by dfphoenix on Nov 28th, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.