• Apr 3rd, 2020 7:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1009 posts
1750 upvotes
Kingston, ON

[Factory Direct] R69 H3 Quad Core 1GB/8GB Android media box - $39.98

Warm deal and I know, I know, its no Nvidia Shield Android box in terms of quality. But for those looking for a decent android TV box for streaming, I think it should suffice. It says brand new not refurb.

I can get Amazon Fire sticks anywhere but I don;t see too many retailers selling android boxes in store. I like it has an ethernet port and so we don;t need to reply on wonky wifi signals while streaming.

Thoughts? Any better recommendations for new cable cutters like me? This or an Android TV with built-in Android interface?
Last edited by Guest44573738 on Apr 2nd, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
56 replies
Mar 16, 2005
987 posts
75 upvotes
Windsor
1GB is will not suffice unless you want SD and maybe some 720p streams.
Regards,
-P

Ebay
Heatware
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12505 posts
20857 upvotes
Friends don’t let friends buy at Factory Direct .
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1009 posts
1750 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Chi-tel wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/TaNix-Android-New ... B055RY2C8T
$39 without tax and free shipping from amazon, you get a much better one
thanks. I just like the idea of buying it at a local store in kingston (home) or ottawa (work) where I go often. Canada Computers has some but prices are more than this. I guess I could give this a shot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1009 posts
1750 upvotes
Kingston, ON
JonSnow wrote: Just get a fire stick 4K
fire sticks don't have native ethernet port.
Jun 13, 2011
704 posts
333 upvotes
For a cheap box go with the cheapest s905w you can find, 1GB is fine, and boot into CoreELEC off of an SD card.

The IR remote won't work so you'll need a RF remote or keyboard like the Rii, and you won't be able to get Netflix in HD.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3480 upvotes
The NORTH
Damn, I thought factory direct was bankrupt...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1009 posts
1750 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Phoriver wrote: For a cheap box go with the cheapest s905w you can find, 1GB is fine, and boot into CoreELEC off of an SD card.

The IR remote won't work so you'll need a RF remote or keyboard like the Rii, and you won't be able to get Netflix in HD.
you lost me at "s905w". Not looking for boot, root, switching remotes or anything the least bit complicated. Just like to turn the tv on and flip channels. Might even go back to....gulp....cable, because this android box stuff is frustrating for a newbie.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8923 posts
5335 upvotes
Toronto
Low-end Android boxes are a dime a dozen, even if you're cheap do yourself a favor and get a Mi Box instead.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1009 posts
1750 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Angultra wrote: Low-end Android boxes are a dime a dozen, even if you're cheap do yourself a favor and get a Mi Box instead.
yes I do see many of these floating around. Can you post some links to the one you suggest? Nvidia shield is 199.99...looking to spend much less for a decent box. OR....should I get an Android TV instead? I do need a new TV anyways......
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3540 posts
874 upvotes
Wrestlemania wrote: You know nothing.
I know this box is trash, when you can get a fire stick 4K on sale for about the same price.
Last edited by JonSnow on Apr 2nd, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3540 posts
874 upvotes
ips1177 wrote: fire sticks don't have native ethernet port.
The Ethernet port is useless when the box can't even play HD content from streaming apps do to DRM.

In terms of local connect it may be fine, still not worth it when compared to a fire stick (non 4K) that can be had for about price with a Ethernet Adapter.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8923 posts
5335 upvotes
Toronto
ips1177 wrote: yes I do see many of these floating around. Can you post some links to the one you suggest? Nvidia shield is 199.99...looking to spend much less for a decent box. OR....should I get an Android TV instead? I do need a new TV anyways......
They don't sell Mi Box here so best bet is AliExpress, lots of sellers below $60US shipped. Standard Shipping usually takes 2-3 weeks.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10014 posts
2440 upvotes
Winnipeg
ips1177 wrote: I don;t see too many retailers selling android boxes in store.
its counter productive for a retailer trying to earn trust to sell unsecure non updated products.
ips1177 wrote:
fire sticks don't have native ethernet port.
they don't need to their wifi works right
ips1177 wrote: you lost me at "s905w". Not looking for boot, root, switching remotes or anything the least bit complicated. Just like to turn the tv on and flip channels. Might even go back to....gulp....cable, because this android box stuff is frustrating for a newbie.
and you think an old h3 allwinner with only 1gb of mem with its rich history of perfect media playback is a good choice?

bang for buck!
firestick 4k
miibox
firestick
rpi4 2gb(its not android but the versatility of things it can do will make it an investment that lasts....and always has latest/largest support)
s905x3 4gb/32gb gigabit acwifi usb 3 go on sale for 45 cad
s905x2/x3 2gb/ 16gb same price as ops
s905?? 2gb/
rk3228/9/3318 2-4gb same or less than ops price

in that order and nothing else is a choice worth spending money on. Honestly my opinion anything after a s905x3 4gb/32gb gigabit acwifi usb 3 is a waste of money and will eventually end up in drawer sooner than expected. Here's the thing about unsupported android....don't. But if you do. It better have another niche or 3rd party support elsewhere for its use later on. Or your throwing money away and it could be better used investing in something else.

The shield is a different animal and its not in the bang for buck category.
Last edited by lead on Apr 2nd, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2234 posts
2073 upvotes
Whitby
Get what you pay for. You will be returning this in a hot second and getting a firestick or nvidia. These cheap boxes have gone the way of the dodo. That and factory direct electronics are trash. Not even the near end of the world could make me shop there. I'd sooner stare at a wall then take any chances with a cheap android box.