Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Factory Direct

*Refurb* Sandisk Pixtor 64GB MicroSD U3 95MB/s $19.98 @ FD

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2016 4:24 pm
Sep 6, 2016
343 posts
440 upvotes
Calgary

[Factory Direct] *Refurb* Sandisk Pixtor 64GB MicroSD U3 95MB/s $19.98 @ FD

[Edit1] If you are already shaking your head this post is not meant for you. Downvote if you wish, especially if my post is not clear, missing important information or misleading. This is for tech savvy people with a bit of spare change and know how to use tools like SD Formatter, chkdsk, H2testw, etc to test the integrity of the memory. It may be possible to remap the drive if there are bad sectors. Who knows, maybe there are no problems and they really are "Like New" like FD advertises. Hopefully someone out there can give us feedback on this.[End edit]

Note this is refurbished. 90 day FD warranty. FD does not give refunds. If it is bad you can get a replacement within the 90-day warranty. If within 10 days of purchase and a replacement is not available, FD may give you in-store credit. Includes SD adapter. Limit of two. If you don't live near a store, shipping will probably kill this for you (gotta love Cda Post).

Never heard of the Pixtor line before. Seems like an updated Ultra. The colours certainly imply so. New ones are U$54 on Amazon.com. These are highly rated on Bestbuy.com but I get a feeling the ratings are mixed with ones for the older Ultra line since reviews date back to 2014.

95MB/s is sexy but the big risk is if the design and/or manufacturing was flawed, you will only get replacement of the same. If it's a matter of bad sectors which are permanently marked as bad (thus never to be written to), this could be a good deal on a sub-64GB high speed microSD. But who knows what was/is really wrong with these.
Images
  • sandisk pixtor.jpg
Last edited by kbear99 on Oct 6th, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Russia/Putin/Cronies must pay for all damages to Ukraine and her people. Let's start with seized assets
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
Stay far far away
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6908 posts
3333 upvotes
Canada
How the heck do you refurb a memory card?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5709 posts
2278 upvotes
raspeed wrote: How the heck do you refurb a memory card?
You would think the cost to repair a 64GB microSD would be more than the $20 they charge + overhead + wages...
Journie: Use my promo code JR-ColinTOUM during registration, and you’ll automatically save 2¢/ L on your next fill-up. (Full disclosure: Once you do, I get a discount, too!)
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1472 posts
79 upvotes
BC
Tempting to give this a shot... but the image of it malfunctioning after taking hundreds of shots is not worth the risk....
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3848 posts
2272 upvotes
'Shwallywood
ProfessorChaos wrote:
You would think the cost to repair a 64GB microSD would be more than the $20 they charge + overhead + wages...
Refurb doesn't always mean repaired, its generally just a returned item that is tested and put back on the market.
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
Sep 6, 2016
343 posts
440 upvotes
Calgary
d0fuz wrote: Tempting to give this a shot... but the image of it malfunctioning after taking hundreds of shots is not worth the risk....
This is definitely not for important data. This deal is probably cold for most people but I thought I'd put it out there for the few people that might be able to use it. And maybe those brave few will find out what the actual problem is for the rest of us.
nellium wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
Refurb doesn't always mean repaired, its generally just a returned item that is tested and put back on the market.
That's true. This type of product is often returned because of user ignorance, such as putting this in a device with a legacy SDHC slot and expecting to see 64GB. But if FD is dealing in a large volume of these, that would suggest a different kind of problem.
Russia/Putin/Cronies must pay for all damages to Ukraine and her people. Let's start with seized assets
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
can buy brand new for $1 more.

if they had this at the dollarama for $4 - or $5 they this would be a deal!
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
akito925 wrote: can buy brand new for $1 more.

if they had this at the dollarama for $4 - or $5 they this would be a deal!
Please do share a link that do 64gb microsd U3 for $21. I'd be very interested. But if you don't know what U3 is, don't bother
Sep 6, 2016
343 posts
440 upvotes
Calgary
lincoln wrote: Stay far far away
Yes this is sound advice for most people. But I'm curious -- are you're referring to refurbished cards in general or just ones from Factory Direct? They advertise these as "Like New", not that it makes much difference.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
lincoln wrote: Stay far far away
I'm afraid to go as far as possible. It's too close to China for comfort.
Jun 5, 2008
681 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Never heard of factory direct. Dirt cheap, anyone getting one?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
1356 posts
95 upvotes
Ottawa
I had a Sandisk 64gb micro SD card fail while taking a trip with my family. Sandisk warranty support is terrible in Canada. I would never buy a Sandisk product again let alone a refurbished Sandisk product.
Mar 2, 2014
63 posts
33 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I would stay away from anything refurbed
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1634 posts
665 upvotes
I bought 2. The card looked brand new and it had "REFURB" written (laser etched). I ran the F3X, Mac version of H2testw. Both cards passed the test without any issue. My 2009 MacBook Pro with USB 2.0 reported write speed of 33 MB/s. Since I don't have a computer with USB 3.0, I am not sure if it will write faster on USB 3.0...
I think it is an excellent value. I would definitely buy again.

😃
Sep 6, 2016
343 posts
440 upvotes
Calgary
That's awesome. Glad it worked out for you. Unfortunately for me I don't live near a store and FD charges $15 for shipping something that will fit in a small envelope, so forget that. They even have the nerve to charge more to ship two of them. I asked them if this was a mistake (knowing it probably wasn't) but they didn't bother to respond. Guess they don't care to do mail order. Anyway thanks for sharing!

EDIT: USB 2.0 does cap at about that speed or slightly higher so no surprise there. You will definitely not be capped with USB 3.0.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)