• Feb 8th, 2017 7:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1617 posts
370 upvotes
Brampton

Factory direct refurbished item

Any experience buying refurbished items from factory direct ? Worth buying for lower price ?

Thinking of buying below steam mop for 40$.

http://m.factorydirect.ca/Product.aspx?sku=SH3901

Other retailers have new one for more than 100.
Koodo 60$ 10gb plan
Public Mobile 36$ 4gb plan
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16721 posts
3898 upvotes
Toronto
Welcome to the all sales final store.
They know darn well what they are selling you, but yet they refuse to give a refund for selling you something defective.
They only give a store credit.
Then you use it to get something else-that too is defective, so you get another store credit.
It goes on and on...
Good store to avoid, or roll the dice with.
If you don't mind taking a chance on $40, good luck!

I bought a Blu ray player a few years ago from them, which still works fine today, but I think I was just lucky...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Jun 10, 2016
328 posts
225 upvotes
Brampton
bought the computer that we use everyday from there (refurbished) and never had a problem...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1617 posts
370 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks for suggestions. I think I'll skip it for this item.
Koodo 60$ 10gb plan
Public Mobile 36$ 4gb plan
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5703 posts
1881 upvotes
Space
Anything under 50$, if the savings are great then it's worth it. There are no returns but you do get an exchange or store credit if it fails. I've purchased a 40$ food processor and it's going strong for 3 years now.
Jan 12, 2008
403 posts
218 upvotes
Make sure you inspect the product!! I can't stress this enough!!

Product maybe defective and then you might end up in a loop where you have to return it for anther one until you give up and be force to use your store credit on some random crap you never wanted in the first place.

If it works then you found a hell of deal
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6515 posts
2983 upvotes
My rule - unless the item is less than $20 or is factory sealed new (not refurbished item ) - avoid.
Factory Direct do not refurbish anything. They buy manufacturer skids of returned product "as is" and resell them - leaving the customer to figure out if the return is legitimately defective or if the original customer returned it as an "unwanted" product or because the customer had no clue how to use the product properly and was too lazy or stupid to figure out its proper use.
Once Factory Direct have your money for the initial item purchase, you can either play "refurbished roulette" where you keep swapping the dud for another product (in some cases Factory Direct know damn well they are all duds but will play the game of endless swapping) or you get a credit note for a future purchase.
Either way the FD crooks have your money.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16721 posts
3898 upvotes
Toronto
plymouthhater wrote: Either way the FD crooks have your money.
They have your money and they can also vanish any time they want. Remember XS Cargo?? lol
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16194 posts
13481 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Not a fan of anything that is listed as REFURBISHED from any Retailer, for the reasons already given above by others.

Consequently I have not shopped at this store.

But, I did shop at XS Cargo when they were around as I had good luck finding small non electronic / household items at good prices (ie brand name car cleaning supplies)

So ya, with these types of stores it really is Buyer Beware.