Expired Hot Deals

Factory Direct

Tcl 55S533 55" 4K Qled Uhd Hdr Roku Smart Led TV ($439.00)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2021 8:05 pm
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more options, check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best 4K HDR smart TVs!
16 replies
Dec 12, 2013
350 posts
188 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
*opens thread*
* Looks around a bit... *

I'm... Gonna head out then. Thanks everyone...

*Backs away slowly, closing the thread behind me*
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2011
2352 posts
5105 upvotes
Mississauga
I recently picked one up from Costco in-store for $499.97 for the 55 inch and they also had had the 65 inch one for $699.97 which was clearance. Sadly, there were no stores that had it in stock in the GTA so I had to buy it from Costco Orillia. It wasn't that bad for me as I ended up hitting up the beach there and then picking up the TV :)

I bought the extended warranty for an extra 30 bucks for a 5-year total warranty. I did a lot of research before buying the TV. A lot of people complained about the dirty screen effect while watching hockey and that the TV didn't get that bright. From my experience so far the TV has been great and I don't notice the screen issue. The brightness could be better but for $500 i will not complain. As for Factory direct, I would never recommend buying TVs from them and since this TV model can be hit or miss, to begin with, I would only buy this TV if you can return it or buy a very decent extended warranty for it.
Mar 16, 2006
394 posts
453 upvotes
Vancouver
I wish Costco would bring these back. I don't trust Factory Direct at all.
Apr 26, 2003
983 posts
168 upvotes
Vancouver
Kingston505 wrote: Is it a bad tv?
Depends if you think having a backdoor on a TV is a bad thing or not. The pro is that TCL can silently patch your TV remotely.
Last edited by AnimeEd on Aug 20th, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 26, 2015
53 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
YMMV but when I first moved out from my parents 10 yrs ago, I bought RCA 50 inch from factory direct (or was it xscargo). It still works after 3 moves, transporting horizontally that I recently found out I'm not supposed to. I want it to break so I can buy a new one.

But it's Hisense, that I hear has quality control reputation on Reddit, so idk
Deal Fanatic
Nov 29, 2007
5571 posts
5271 upvotes
No Bum Deals
Factory Direct has some dodgy policies, to cover their ass when they sell crapped-out products.

Note this unit is 'refurbished'. That can literally mean anything has happened to it.
. 🢂 4x Telus Endless 25GB - Shared Pool 100GB [$30] | 2x CAN-US 200min [$0] | 5x CAN-US PoM Tablet+Data [$0] | 1x PoM Watch Cellular [$0] 🢀
🢂
Bodgers Bus. Grade 500u 3yr [$50] 🢀
Jul 21, 2011
737 posts
372 upvotes
Azkaban
Kingston505 wrote: Is this a good deal?
Not really. The 75" from Costco was 799 just a few weeks ago (and if my memory is correct, the 55 or 65 was in the same ballpark price as quoted TV... TCL QLED and all).

With costco, you can at least return it and its new.

FD is selling you a refurb (could mean open box if you are lucky or it could mean some d*ckhead did something to it). Even if it works (I've had LED TVs die young), Costco comes with 2 yrs, and can cheaply purchase 5 years. FD staff will tell you to "fututus et mori" the minute your credit card pays processes it. I hate BestBuy and even they will stand behind their open boxes/refurb for some time. With FD if you are lucky, you might get exchange or store credit (if you want to argue with people), but you will likely never see your money back.

FD isn't bad for some things. But this is not really a hot price and made cooler by the nature of being a refurb and FD.
You wouldn't know a communist if one jumped out of a giant May Day cake, slapped you across the face with a copy of The Conquest of Bread, and walked off whistling La Internationale.
Aug 7, 2021
153 posts
616 upvotes
Kingston505 wrote: Is this a good deal?
For a refurbished model from Factory Direct of all places, not really but I'm sure some have bought one and made out just fine.
Feb 24, 2018
765 posts
465 upvotes
AnimeEd wrote: Depends if you think having a backdoor on a TV is a bad thing or not. The pro is that TCL can silently patch your TV remotely.
I'm not saying you should buy a TV from FactoryDirect but in terms of them putting a backdoor in the TV....just don't connect it online or connect it for updates then disconnect from wifi. And that doesn't just apply to TCL, I wouldn't connect any TV to my home network they all have a pretty bad rep with this sort of thing.
Aug 17, 2010
123 posts
44 upvotes
So the downvotes aren't about the deal, it's about the seller. lol
Mar 26, 2008
526 posts
230 upvotes
i bought a hard drive from factory direct that was "refurbished" and it turned out that it had over 6 years of use on it
Deal Fanatic
Nov 29, 2007
5571 posts
5271 upvotes
No Bum Deals
danron1376 wrote: i bought a hard drive from factory direct that was "refurbished" and it turned out that it had over 6 years of use on it
They put it in a nice shiny static bag though right?
. 🢂 4x Telus Endless 25GB - Shared Pool 100GB [$30] | 2x CAN-US 200min [$0] | 5x CAN-US PoM Tablet+Data [$0] | 1x PoM Watch Cellular [$0] 🢀
🢂
Bodgers Bus. Grade 500u 3yr [$50] 🢀
Jun 23, 2007
70 posts
37 upvotes
Would be good if Factory Direct wasn't selling it. It takes a lot for me to comment but I never miss a chance to poop on Factory Direct.