• Jun 26th, 2016 9:06 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 24, 2016
5 posts

Factory Order Backing out?

Hello,
I recently did a factory order on a car, we put a deposit on it (very little) but now we don't want it anymore. We didn't sign anything, Can we back out of it or is it too late?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18658 posts
2382 upvotes
Woodbridge
How did you not sign anything when they ordered it?

Yes, you can cancel. Though, it's up to the dealer if they want to give you a hard time returning your deposit. How much is very little.

I put $50 when I ordered my Murano. :)
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
lolroads wrote: Hello,
I recently did a factory order on a car, we put a deposit on it (very little) but now we don't want it anymore. We didn't sign anything, Can we back out of it or is it too late?
Has it been 90days?
[OP]
Jun 24, 2016
5 posts
No, hasn't been 90 days and I put $500 down on it
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29203 posts
14964 upvotes
Toronto
You should get all your $ back but dealer is going to give u a hard time and may take months .
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
lolroads wrote: No, hasn't been 90 days and I put $500 down on it
In that case it would be at the dealership's discretion on whether they'll let you cancel and I'm sure you can reason with them; without any issues or even losing the deposit.
If it's a common trim and options, they can sell it to another buyer.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5291 posts
3770 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Do you know if your deposit is refundable? Most deposits are, but there have been cases where people are tricked into signing non refundable deposits. Next time you should sign something whenever you hand money over because you technically just gave them free money.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9018 posts
10319 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
I think $500 is a fair charge for walking away from a car you factory ordered from a dealer and cancelling because you don't want it.
[OP]
Jun 24, 2016
5 posts
cartfan123 wrote: I think $500 is a fair charge for walking away from a car you factory ordered from a dealer and cancelling because you don't want it.
Yeah, I agree. I don't care about the money, we just no longer want the car.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9018 posts
10319 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
lolroads wrote: Yeah, I agree. I don't care about the money, we just no longer want the car.
Just inform them in writing and request the deposit back then. If they keep the deposit then I guess that's their prerogative. But it is very unusual to have a deposit on a car that there is no actual written contract on.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1184 posts
572 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
If you don't mind me asking, what car did you order? if its a car that's very often purchased, you have a good chance to get your deposit back (ie. popular colour with popular trim, and auto), but if you ordered something hard to sell, I think the dealer will make it next to impossible to get back your deposit.