• Aug 18th, 2017 10:51 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3478 posts
678 upvotes
Allenford

factory unlocked Vs carrier unlocked

Any difference between the two? Any limitations on the carrier unlocked?

I need to buy a new phone and the last few phones I've had were factory unlocked BlackBerrys just wondering if I got a used carrier unlocked phone now is there any difference in them? I usually throw in sims from different countries when we travel, just want to make there'd be no issue with doing that in a carrier unlocked phone.
2 replies
Dec 3, 2013
223 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Effectively no different. Factory unlocked means that it was never locked (ie sold by manufacturer), whereas carrier unlocked means that it was once locked, but the carrier unlocked it...

To be honest, not really sure why people differentiate in the first place. Just make sure whatever you buy is compatible with the carriers where you're going. WMFW is great for that.
As the co-founder of a business dedicated to making it easy to buy and sell used iPhones, I have fairly extensive experience navigating Craigslist/Kijiji for used iPhones, and also troubleshooting said iPhones.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3478 posts
678 upvotes
Allenford
AlexatOrchard wrote: Effectively no different. Factory unlocked means that it was never locked (ie sold by manufacturer), whereas carrier unlocked means that it was once locked, but the carrier unlocked it...

To be honest, not really sure why people differentiate in the first place. Just make sure whatever you buy is compatible with the carriers where you're going. WMFW is great for that.
Wonderful - thank you Alex that was very helpful and that link is fantastic!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)