Careers

Failed interview to a bad interviewer.... I'm so upset..

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2012 5:46 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 2, 2012
11 posts
NORTH YORK

Failed interview to a bad interviewer.... I'm so upset..

I recently had an interview, thought that I was prepared...even had a formal mock-interview the day before.
The story is this.
I interviewed for a managerial position at a bank.
When I went to the interview room, I gave a light handshake, and sat down, we went through availability first and then resume. So I walked through my resume, describing the roles etc. etc. and this interviewer kept on asking me about why I left the job and she seemed bit surprised that I had two jobs (well, it's during the summer) and although I had all my work history in chronological order, the interviewer (don't wan to reveal too much about this person) seemed quite lost. She was now getting but frustrated and confused at the same time. So I corrected her and her reaction was like, 'oh my gawd'. So I had to correct her again. By that time I was sure that this interview isn't gonna go well.
I started to get REALLY nervous.
Now the next step was some behavioural questions.
Her eyes were literally glued to the screen and she was busy typing in the answers I was barely able to make an eye contact.
Even for the questions she was literally reading off her screen as she was typing.
At times she got confused of my answer and trying to get me correct it and overall she sounded as if she was pissed off.
Throughout the rest of the interview, she seemed like, 'ok you are gonna fail this interview. Just answer this and get out of my office.'
So at the end of the interview she was like, 'you are gonna get a call in 3-4 days if you haven't received a response in a week call me' which I knew was that I didn't get in.
After that she just rushed me out of her office.
I was just surprised and disappointed at how she does her work.
Her reaction to me made me so nervous so I was basically murmuring at some point.

I had this unlucky feeling when I was setting a time with her but she was so just bad...she wasn't respecting me at all and I didn't to anything for her to get upset. All I did was I just met her for an interview...
I think interview does really depend on what kinda of person you meet....and I guess that means luck.

Sighhhhhh...
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5672 posts
809 upvotes
Calgary
You know what they say. "one door closes another opens" and it could be "a blessing in disguise".

I mean do you really want to work with her anyway?
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4542 posts
993 upvotes
Richmond Hill
melancholic wrote: I recently had an interview, thought that I was prepared...even had a formal mock-interview the day before.
The story is this.
When I went to the interview room, I gave a light handshake, and sat down, we went through availability first and then resume. So I walked through my resume, describing the roles etc. etc. and this interviewer kept on asking me about why I left the job and she seemed bit surprised that I had two jobs (well, it's during the summer) and although I had all my work history in chronological order, the interviewer (don't wan to reveal too much about this person) seemed quite lost. She was now getting but frustrated and confused at the same time. So I corrected her and her reaction was like, 'oh my gawd'. So I had to correct her again. By that time I was sure that this interview isn't gonna go well.
Her eyes were literally glued to the screen and she was busy typing in the answers I was barely able to make an eye contact.
Even for the questions she was literally reading off her screen as she was typing.
At times she got confused of my answer and trying to get me correct it and overall she sounded as if she was pissed off.
Throughout the rest of the interview, she seemed like, 'ok you are gonna fail this interview. Just answer this ***** and get out of my office.'
So at the end of the interview she was like, 'you are gonna get a call in 3-4 days if you haven't received a response in a week call me' which I knew was that I didn't get in.
I was just surprised and disappointed at how she does her work. Dunno how she made it into her position.
Her reaction to me made me so nervous so I was basically murmuring at some point.
I wanted the position really badly and I prepared it and she ruined it like that.....
So I went home and I cried because I need a job and I really wanted it....
What a bad interviewer........

I had this unlucky feeling when I was setting a time with her but she was so just bad...she wasn't respecting me at all and I didn't to anything for her to get upset. All I did was I just met her for an interview...
I think interview does really depend on what kinda of person you meet....and I guess that means luck.

Sighhhhhh...

So if you had gotten the job, and she got frustrated with you on the job, you would go home and cry? Or you would get nervous and mumble? Doesn't speak too much about confidence in yourself. Same goes for your light handshake - do a solid firm one. Firm handshake, solid eye contact, a nice smile, and a confident "Hi _____, it's nice to meet you."

Being able to convey your thoughts and having the other party understand what you are saying is a key part of any job. Getting all nervous about it does not help. If the manager did not understand your resume properly, and you couldn't restate it in person such that she could understand it is not the fault of the manager, but of the presenter. Since this is a bank position, and time is of the essence, it seemed like the manager did not have the patience for your explanations.

Sorry OP, but just because you really wanted the job, doesn't mean you would get it. A large part of the interview depends on whether the candidate "gels" with the manager, and in turn the culture of the organization. The interview is not a true "test" in the sense that you get a test in school, in that even if you gave all appropriate answers, you may not receive a score of 10/10. Don't blame the interviewer.

Another thing - grow a pair. Going home and crying over this is not going to help you in your job search. This is how the hiring process works, you're going to get a lot of rejections. Learn from this experience so that you don't repeat the same mistakes in your next one.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2361 posts
386 upvotes
Some interviews just go badly. Whether it's the fault of one party, both parties, or neither party. Everyone has the odd really, really awful interview. You need to just deal with it a move on.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2764 posts
178 upvotes
nyik wrote: So if you had gotten the job, and she got frustrated with you on the job, you would go home and cry? Or you would get nervous and mumble? Doesn't speak too much about confidence in yourself. Same goes for your light handshake - do a solid firm one. Firm handshake, solid eye contact, a nice smile, and a confident "Hi _____, it's nice to meet you."

Being able to convey your thoughts and having the other party understand what you are saying is a key part of any job. Getting all nervous about it does not help. If the manager did not understand your resume properly, and you couldn't restate it in person such that she could understand it is not the fault of the manager, but of the presenter. Since this is a bank position, and time is of the essence, it seemed like the manager did not have the patience for your explanations.

Sorry OP, but just because you really wanted the job, doesn't mean you would get it. A large part of the interview depends on whether the candidate "gels" with the manager, and in turn the culture of the organization. The interview is not a true "test" in the sense that you get a test in school, in that even if you gave all appropriate answers, you may not receive a score of 10/10. Don't blame the interviewer.

Another thing - grow a pair. Going home and crying over this is not going to help you in your job search. This is how the hiring process works, you're going to get a lot of rejections. Learn from this experience so that you don't repeat the same mistakes in your next one.
I agree with most of your post but not sure if you added that there are clearly bad managers out there and many that are not qualified at all for their role.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4542 posts
993 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Abel4Life wrote: I agree with most of your post but not sure if you added that there are clearly bad managers out there and many that are not qualified at all for their role.
I agree 100%.

But since the interaction between a candidate and the prospective manager is so small, it doesn't really make sense that the candidate can walk away from the interview and claim that the manager was clearly in the wrong. You can't really judge that solely based on a 1 hr dialog.

As Ascott pointed out, treat the interview result as nobody's fault - it is what it is. Deal with it and move on.
Apr 24, 2012
44 posts
2 upvotes
BURLINGTON
I've been to many bank interviews. Considering how banking works, if this person was going to be someone actually managing you then you should be happy. I've turned down jobs because I did not want to live with the horror of having that interviewer managing me.

Like others have mentioned, your description oozes a lack of confidence, or perhaps you being overly nervous because you need/want the job so much. Just take away that you need to work on those things.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2764 posts
178 upvotes
nyik wrote: I agree 100%.

But since the interaction between a candidate and the prospective manager is so small, it doesn't really make sense that the candidate can walk away from the interview and claim that the manager was clearly in the wrong. You can't really judge that solely based on a 1 hr dialog.

As Ascott pointed out, treat the interview result as nobody's fault - it is what it is. Deal with it and move on.
True. To make things easier:

Nothing is final until you have a formal (not verbal) offer accepted and returned and all background checks are cleared. Until that point its all a game.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9432 posts
1464 upvotes
The OP's description sounds of desperation. It's like a guy being nervous meeting a chick he likes, then he blew it. Not too sure how bad the interviewer is, but consider yourself lucky you didn't get the job OP. For all we know, she might end up being your superior.

There is no need to guess how someone like her got into the job. There is tons of useless/dumb people who got jobs for being able to not do things correctly and were promoted up. It's nothing new. They can be up for neoptism/sleep with boss/back stabbing colleagues/crying discrimination just to get ahead of other people. I know a lot of people in the working world, and there is no such things as everyone is not stupid.
[OP]
May 2, 2012
11 posts
NORTH YORK
Thank you all for replies.
Maybe it wasn't for me and I guess I overreacted..
Maybe I was over-emotional about it.
Thanks all,

p.s. just edited some negative parts.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16588 posts
2298 upvotes
I'm confused by your post.

But like others have said - imagine if you had to work with her on a daily basis!
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13841 posts
1337 upvotes
melancholic wrote: I recently had an interview, thought that I was prepared...even had a formal mock-interview the day before.
The story is this.
Throughout the rest of the interview, she seemed like, 'ok you are gonna fail this interview. Just answer this and get out of my office.'

Sighhhhhh...
If you conduct interviews with as much nervous energy as you write posts, then you probably tried way, way too hard.

She probably wasn't making eye contact with you because you were boring holes in her head with your anxious laserbeam of a stare.

People like friendly, relaxed people who can get the job done without becoming a nervous wreck. It sounds like you need to chill the ***** out.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
[OP]
May 2, 2012
11 posts
NORTH YORK
yeah i mean maybe it was but she could have ended the interview rather than dragging it to an hour. She sounded like a robot. And it wasn't my luck because I talked to another candidate and he said the person he interview was very relaxed and made it casual.
I knew it wasn't gonna be easy as I was sitting down.
Yeah I did have that gut feeling.
I just got a bad interviewer and I did have this unlucky feeling when I was setting my interview time so yeah. Well it's gone now so hopefully when I try it again I meet a nice interviewer.
Apr 29, 2011
710 posts
43 upvotes
Innisfil
I'm happy you didn't get this job, it sounds like you saved yourself a lot of misery by 'failing' the interview.

Just remember, if YOU practiced your interview, went over questions, prepared a mental walkthrough of how your interview would go, then realize you did your best and that it's actually HER who failed, not you!!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
186 upvotes
melancholic wrote: I think interview does really depend on what kinda of person you meet....and I guess that means luck.
That's right. You need luck! Meet the right recruiter or manager = the job offer will fall on your lap.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2007 posts
215 upvotes
Lol you bombed that inteview. Don't blame the girl conducting it.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1794 posts
323 upvotes
Who did the interview - HR or actual department manager? If it was HR on the first interview, then I wouldn't be too worried as their job is to screen the applicants and get the basics (ie reading prepared questions.)

BTW, I've done that on the other side of the interview - push all the buttons to see how the prospect will handle the situation. If you can't deal with a stressful interview, what makes me think that you can handle the daily stress of a managerial position? Unfortunately for you, breaking down during an interview is a strike against you, not whatever answers you gave.
Jul 11, 2012
19 posts
MISSISSAUGA
Keep your hopes up, it happens to the best of us. I recently had an interview where the interviewer asked me two illegal questions: Which country am i from and when did i immigrate to Canada? My face turned red when i hear these questions as it has nothing to do with the position. Obviously, that interview went horrible and i never heard back from them. So moral of the story is " You should never work for a company who can't give you respect". Such relationships won't go long.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1150 upvotes
The story is this.

Sighhhhhh...
I don't believe in such a thing as a bad interviewer. The only real issue is when the interviewer is not fair. If she's bad as you claim, all other candidates likely experienced the same thing. I've had interviewers who deliberately put up an act to see how you react.

A key skill in interview is being able to read people and react differently. You're not good at interview for being able to give rehearsed answers. You're good at an interview when you can adapt your answers on the spot depending on the company and the interviewer's style. For this reason, the only bad interviewer is one that is not fair and where you didn't stand a chance to begin with.

Even if she's bad, so what? You can't choose who interviews you. Blaming the problem on her doesn't help. If she's so terrible, be happy you're not working in an organization with her in it.
Aug 24, 2011
108 posts
7 upvotes
LAVAL
BananaHunter wrote: I've had interviewers who deliberately put up an act to see how you react.
This is probably the truth, but I am sooooo tired of the BS behind just passing a efin interview. Fake interview, fake HR people, fake questions, fake employer, fake employee. Then employers wonder how they get "bad apples"....
8 easy steps