Students

Failed out first year university. How to get back on track?

[OP]
Apr 16, 2013
1 posts

Failed out first year university. How to get back on track?

hey guys so my first year of university is coming to an end.
I'm attending McMaster and my GPA is going to fall around ~2.95, which is about 0.05 below the cutoff in order to continue at the school. I'm going to be kicked out.

I was in a social sciences program and was foolish enough to think that it would be business oriented to some degree, but it ended up just being a bunch of elective courses and then 2 economics courses. All of the good electives were full and I was left with a bunch of courses that I just didn't care for so I ended up skipping a lot. I lost pretty much all of my interest in the program and my marks reflect it.

I really want to get into a business degree program at another university. I understand that this is going to be hard, having just flunked out of my current program.

What I am wondering is, what are the best steps I can take in order to get back on track?
I'm looking to attend Ryerson mainly.

Should I go to college for a year and try to boost my GPA and then apply?
Should I take open courses at Ryerson and then apply next year?

I'm lost as to what to do now, any insight appreciated.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2566 posts
475 upvotes
Toronto
Wow McMaster needs a 3.0GPA to pass first year? Is it the same for all other programs? I'd imagine like 50-60% of the first year will get kicked out of school if we're talking about accounting and other even harder courses like quantum physics...
Nov 5, 2011
174 posts
21 upvotes
BRAMPTON
I was in a similar situation as you before. What I did was I went to college and then transferred to university. I believe I had trouble adjusting to university, but going to college really helped that. It can be an option to consider and would be beneficial since you're considering the business field.
Apr 16, 2013
32 posts
1 upvote
Dear OP,
Stay strong!
Firstly, after falling into the same situation as you, I had realized that what I have been studying was not what I wanted to study. I would fall behind, fail courses, drop courses, and eventually waste money on pointless stuff that would never get me anywhere.
Remember, that a university is not for everyone. College is a bright idea. Perhaps, Sheridan in Mississauga - School of Business. Very good school if you want to get into business.
Ryerson is also great!

My advice - do what you love, otherwise, you will never do well. Stay focused. Ask for help from profs/TA's. Do assignments earlier and submit them to profs to look over them. Attend FSG's before exams (if offered).

Most of all, remember that YOU are paying for your education, rather than them paying you.

Ps. 3.0GPA is required? What program is it exactly?
Usually it's 1.85GPA to keep you at good standing. Or you get on academic probation.

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
imalittlebear wrote: My advice - do what you love, otherwise, you will never do well. Stay focused.
This is key - students often get into a degree because their parents want to, because they don't know what else to do, etc.
While some people might survive, for the most part if you really don't like and don't care about the course, even the easiest ones would be the hardest course you'll ever have and won't do well. On the other hand, if you enjoy what you are studying, you have much better chances in taking on the hardest courses and do well in them.
Apr 16, 2012
541 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
blitzforce wrote: Wow McMaster needs a 3.0GPA to pass first year? Is it the same for all other programs? I'd imagine like 50-60% of the first year will get kicked out of school if we're talking about accounting and other even harder courses like quantum physics...
That's 3.0 out of 10.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1822 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
MeasureTheory wrote: That's 3.0 out of 10.
mac is on the 12 scale. OP would be getting around a 1.2 on the OLSAS 4.0 GPA scale.

OP should

1st. learn your bearings, planout your future 4 years step by step, plan a plan b plan c
2nd apply to college, work very hard, to transfer to another uni from college you have to have better marks than your competitor transfer students from other unis
3rd learn from your mistakes in 1st year, whether its partying, slacking, etc and never do it again.

GL
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34468 posts
4030 upvotes
Winnipeg
well if you don't like the program, obviously it won't go well, just try to apply elsewhere for what you want to learn, you may need to try at a lesser competitive university though.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2566 posts
475 upvotes
Toronto
Kunman wrote: mac is on the 12 scale. OP would be getting around a 1.2 on the OLSAS 4.0 GPA scale.

OP should

1st. learn your bearings, planout your future 4 years step by step, plan a plan b plan c
2nd apply to college, work very hard, to transfer to another uni from college you have to have better marks than your competitor transfer students from other unis
3rd learn from your mistakes in 1st year, whether its partying, slacking, etc and never do it again.

GL
Oh lol, I thought York's 9 Scale is already ridiculous, but 12 scale?
Banned
Jul 31, 2009
69 posts
7 upvotes
Tdot
blitzforce wrote: Oh lol, I thought York's 9 Scale is already ridiculous, but 12 scale?
They are all the same, i believe Laurier is also 9 or 12 i forgot
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2566 posts
475 upvotes
Toronto
raymondh wrote: They are all the same, i believe Laurier is also 9 or 12 i forgot
The thing is I thought I was an alien because I thought every other uni uses a 4 or 4.33 scale, and mine's a 9 scale.
Aug 21, 2010
191 posts
17 upvotes
Hamilton/London
Richard Ivey School of Business accepts for yrs 3+4
Dec 25, 2012
91 posts
14 upvotes
I am just a little perplexed as to how you can get 2.95 on a 12.0 scale. This is an abysmal failure (given that it is social sciences and not even hard sciences). I know you said most of it was electives but if you were very interested in in accounting or business you would have seen the bigger picture and worked hard to get to your core courses in the subsequent year. I definately think you should take time off from university and consider either gaining work experience to figure out what it is you want to do with your life, or go to college for business to see if that is even what you want to do at all. It seems as if you may have been in the wrong program to begin with if you did not feel motivated to do your work.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1822 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
UTSCstudent wrote: I am just a little perplexed as to how you can get 2.95 on a 12.0 scale. This is an abysmal failure (given that it is social sciences and not even hard sciences). I know you said most of it was electives but if you were very interested in in accounting or business you would have seen the bigger picture and worked hard to get to your core courses in the subsequent year. I definately think you should take time off from university and consider either gaining work experience to figure out what it is you want to do with your life, or go to college for business to see if that is even what you want to do at all. It seems as if you may have been in the wrong program to begin with if you did not feel motivated to do your work.
its not 2 out of 12.

at mac anything below 50 is 0, while 51 to 100 is divided into 12 sections.
Dec 25, 2012
91 posts
14 upvotes
Kunman wrote: its not 2 out of 12.

at mac anything below 50 is 0, while 51 to 100 is divided into 12 sections.
I am aware that anything below 50 is a zero. It's that way for most schools. What I meant is that the OP did so badly that his gpa is below even a D+. That's what I meant by failing because even if a D is a pass it is not an adequate pass to not be placed on probation.