Failure to yeild to pedestrian

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2017 2:18 pm
[OP]
Sep 14, 2016
178 posts
46 upvotes

Failure to yeild to pedestrian

I was making a left turn on a green light, and I had a chance to turn so I turned. As I was in the middle of turning, a pedestrian couple walked onto the cross walk so I stopped my car to let them pass. They got midway through the (small) cross walk and waved at me to go ahead, and because I was blocking traffic by turning I listened to them and passed through the cross walk.

I then got pulled over by the police on the side street I turned onto , even though the pedestrian told me to go before them

So basically I yielded to the pedestrian first even though I was turning before they got onto the cross walk, and then they let me go before them

Can I fight this in court?
34 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4365 posts
3955 upvotes
Ottawa
You can fight anything in court - but if this was a pedestrian crossover then the law is that you must wait until the pedestrians clear the crossover until you proceed. Pedestrians cannot override the rule by waving drivers to go ahead when they are in the crossover. This is yet another example of people trying to be nice and just confusing the heck out of everyone. Unfortunately for you those being nice caused you to receive a fine. I wish everyone would just follow the rules of the road - including pedestrians.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12726 posts
9374 upvotes
Edmonton
First off, there’s a whole big thread about fighting tickets. This belongs in there.

Second, you can fight any ticket you like. And the process is very similar. Get disclosure, review it. Read the law you’re accused of breaking. And see if there’s any point to going to court. You’ve got nothing to lose.

Will you win? Maybe not. But the cop might not show. The prosecutor might offer you a reduced fine. Still might affect your insurance, though.

You should have been watching pedestrian traffic. So you don’t have much of a defence, I’d say. The fact that they waved you through doesn’t change the fact that they only had to do that because you started your turn prematurely.

C
May 21, 2015
997 posts
549 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
You could try but I doubt you'd win. No one but a police officer or some other authorized person like a crossing guard etc has the legal authority to guide traffic. You should have remained stopped until they had passed.
[OP]
Sep 14, 2016
178 posts
46 upvotes
they told me to go before them, then I waved at them to go first, but then they waved at me to go again so I went
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10023 posts
3508 upvotes
Buffguy wrote: I was making a left turn on a green light, and I had a chance to turn so I turned. As I was in the middle of turning, a pedestrian couple walked onto the cross walk so I stopped my car to let them pass. They got midway through the (small) cross walk and waved at me to go ahead, and because I was blocking traffic by turning I listened to them and passed through the cross walk.

I then got pulled over by the police on the side street I turned onto , even though the pedestrian told me to go before them

So basically I yielded to the pedestrian first even though I was turning before they got onto the cross walk, and then they let me go before them

Can I fight this in court?
Did they start crossing before you started your turn or after?
“...because most of what we say and do is not essential. If you can eliminate it, you'll have more time and more tranquility. Ask yourself at every moment, is this necessary…” -Marcus Aurelius
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4769 posts
3983 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Buffguy wrote: they told me to go before them, then I waved at them to go first, but then they waved at me to go again so I went
Classic Canadian standoff....
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2989 posts
2017 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This is one of those shitty situations where nobody wins.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17312 posts
19326 upvotes
Oakville
Buffguy wrote: they told me to go before them, then I waved at them to go first, but then they waved at me to go again so I went
Do you not have a dashcam? There's absolutely no reason to not have one these days.

Were they just standing at the intersection when you turned? If they did just happen to start to cross after you were already turning, then i would think you should have easily completed your turn before they got far.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439
[OP]
Sep 14, 2016
178 posts
46 upvotes
I was turning onto a sidestreet downtown, the cross walk is very small

They started to cross after I was already turning
[OP]
Sep 14, 2016
178 posts
46 upvotes
failing to yeild to pedestrians
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17312 posts
19326 upvotes
Oakville
Buffguy wrote: I was turning onto a sidestreet downtown, the cross walk is very small

They started to cross after I was already turning
But sure you saw them approaching the intersection right?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: Classic Canadian standoff....
Yea if this were to happen in the states, the peddy might have dashed the cross!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54767 posts
19562 upvotes
Was the pedestrian signal do not walk, walk faster or start walking?

Usually if there is a green left turn signal and only the green signal is lit, the pedestrian signal will be start walking or walk faster.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1794 posts
329 upvotes
Buffguy wrote: I was making a left turn on a green light, and I had a chance to turn so I turned. As I was in the middle of turning, a pedestrian couple walked onto the cross walk so I stopped my car to let them pass. They got midway through the (small) cross walk and waved at me to go ahead, and because I was blocking traffic by turning I listened to them and passed through the cross walk.

My question is, how slow were you turning at a (small) cross walk for pedestrians to take 10-15 steps to reach the midway point??
[OP]
Sep 14, 2016
178 posts
46 upvotes
akira1971 wrote: My question is, how slow were you turning at a (small) cross walk for pedestrians to take 10-15 steps to reach the midway point??
This is a side street cross walk downtown, to reach midpoint the pedestrian only has to walk two-three steps
[OP]
Sep 14, 2016
178 posts
46 upvotes
Yes but this was on a very busy street downtown, if you don't try to turn you will never get through. So that's why I turned until the crosswalk then allowed the pedestrians to go before me, but they insisted that I go first