Real Estate

Fair resolution for canceling internet included in rent, after 1yr lease ends (Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2022 2:01 am
Nov 18, 2007
66 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga

Fair resolution for canceling internet included in rent, after 1yr lease ends (Ontario)

I have a nice landlord (LL) and we have been good tenants as well. But now my 1yr lease agreement is over and I want to get my own internet (because LL said the internet went up by $10 and LL got an email about a torrent download).

My lease agreement included the statement:
"The Landlord agrees to pay for the first $200.00 CAD of monthly utilities (including Hydro, Water,Heat/Gas and Internet). The Tenant shall be responsible for and agrees to promptly pay ... the Landlord directly for any and all monthly utilities bill costs over $200.00 CAD for the duration of the lease term and any extensions thereof."

The internet was $40 and will now be $50. I called around and can get my own internet for $50. My utility bills are almost always $100 (overage) over the $200 cap. My rent is $1650/m. LL sends me all the bills.

My proposal is that I pay for my own internet and LL should keep the cap of $200 for the remaining Hydro, Water, Heat. LL expenses remain the same. My expenses become $60 remaining utilities + $50 internet = $110.

Is this fair? Or do you have a better solution?

(BONUS QUESTION: Can LL refuse to allow me to get my own internet? If yes, LL can refuse, then can I say I will only pay $40 for internet for the duration of the tenancy?)

Thanks!
Images
  • Offer - Internet included screenshot 2.jpg
  • Offer - Internet included screenshot.jpg
  • OSL Agreement - Internet included screenshot.jpg
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2924 posts
1908 upvotes
Moon
Use a VPN instead when torrenting.
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2013
1814 posts
3254 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
I'm surprised so many landlords include internet, simply because of what just happened with the torrent download. Nothing will probably ever come of it but it's a possible headache a landlord just doesn't need and is easily avoided

But as another poster said, use a VPN
Nov 18, 2007
66 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
kangarooz wrote: Use a VPN instead when torrenting.
I started using VPN now.

But any ideas on how to work out the utility bills going forward?
Nov 18, 2007
66 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
Worriedone wrote: I'm surprised so many landlords include internet, simply because of what just happened with the torrent download. Nothing will probably ever come of it but it's a possible headache a landlord just doesn't need and is easily avoided
100% agree. Believe it or not, I requested through my agent that I get my own internet. They responded that they would prefer their own internet. Agent told me that there are other offers and mine might get rejected if I insist on own internet so I just went along.
Worriedone wrote: But as another poster said, use a VPN
I started using one now.

But would appreciate any ideas about how to arrange the utility bills going forward.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4501 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nightslayer2007 wrote: I have a nice landlord (LL) and we have been good tenants as well. But now my 1yr lease agreement is over and I want to get my own internet (because LL said the internet went up by $10 and LL got an email about a torrent download).

My lease agreement included the statement:
"The Landlord agrees to pay for the first $200.00 CAD of monthly utilities (including Hydro, Water,Heat/Gas and Internet). The Tenant shall be responsible for and agrees to promptly pay ... the Landlord directly for any and all monthly utilities bill costs over $200.00 CAD for the duration of the lease term and any extensions thereof."

The internet was $40 and will now be $50. I called around and can get my own internet for $50. My utility bills are almost always $100 (overage) over the $200 cap. My rent is $1650/m. LL sends me all the bills.

My proposal is that I pay for my own internet and LL should keep the cap of $200 for the remaining Hydro, Water, Heat. LL expenses remain the same. My expenses become $60 remaining utilities + $50 internet = $110.

Is this fair? Or do you have a better solution?

(BONUS QUESTION: Can LL refuse to allow me to get my own internet? If yes, LL can refuse, then can I say I will only pay $40 for internet for the duration of the tenancy?)

Thanks!
If you take your LL internet would it not be just $10 extra a month? I mean what's the difference if you are getting internet vs your LL internet? Are you getting a much higher speed?

If you have a nice LL then just pay what needs to be paid, because not many LL are willing or nice like yours. And as others said, get a VPN!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
May 12, 2003
1008 posts
386 upvotes
OP, do you share the space with the landlord, i.e. do you live in a duplex of sort?

IMO, your lease says the internet is included. Whether you get your own internet, that's your issue. If the LL can cancel his internet since you won't be using it, then I believe you have a case.
Nov 18, 2007
66 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
lamboman wrote: If you take your LL internet would it not be just $10 extra a month? I mean what's the difference if you are getting internet vs your LL internet? Are you getting a much higher speed?
Lol in fact it's double the speed of what I can find right now. But 75 MBPS is good enough for me. The price is $50 same as LL. BUT LL internet is some unknown company with zero customer service but fast and stable internet (Canttell 150 MBPS).

lamboman wrote: If you have a nice LL then just pay what needs to be paid, because not many LL are willing or nice like yours. And as others said, get a VPN!
Main reason for switching is:
a) I am establishing an online business and I don't know if it's possible to get hacked or spied on with an unheard of internet service.
b) Even though I'll be using a VPN, I don't want any complications of "illegal" torrent downloads on LL's name.

Ideas on how to proceed with utility payment arrangement going forward would be appreciated!
Nov 18, 2007
66 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
ssj4_ootaku wrote: OP, do you share the space with the landlord, i.e. do you live in a duplex of sort?
No I don't share a space.
ssj4_ootaku wrote: IMO, your lease says the internet is included. Whether you get your own internet, that's your issue. If the LL can cancel his internet since you won't be using it, then I believe you have a case.
This is very interesting!

So you are saying the LL is stuck with paying for their choice of internet, even if I get my own? So either:
a) I don't tell LL that I have my own internet (just put LL router on the side). --> LL expense still the same but my expense will go up by $50 for my own internet.

b) I can tell LL that they have to pay for the internet anyways so they might as well just include my internet bill into the $200. --> LL expenses still the same and my expenses still the same.

c) Is this even possible: I pay my own internet, tell them to cancel their internet and now $200 cap just has my Hydro/Water/Gas --> LL expenses still the same and my expenses will go up by $10

I am leaning more towards b) since a) is increasing my expenses by $50. But ofc I understand LL can refuse. I'll try to make them understand that it's less hassle for them if I have my own internet.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2003
1008 posts
386 upvotes
Choice (c). If they are able to cancel their own internet, then I would expect them to reduce that $200 to say $150-160 for Hydro/Water/Gas. So net net, he's not out anything, and you are out an extra $10ish

If they are not able to cancel the internet, because perhaps they use it as well, then you're out an extra $50-60, and the LL is in no different position
nightslayer2007 wrote: No I don't share a space.

This is very interesting!

So you are saying the LL is stuck with paying for their choice of internet, even if I get my own? So either:
a) I don't tell LL that I have my own internet (just put LL router on the side). --> LL expense still the same but my expense will go up by $50 for my own internet.

b) I can tell LL that they have to pay for the internet anyways so they might as well just include my internet bill into the $200. --> LL expenses still the same and my expenses still the same.

c) Is this even possible: I pay my own internet, tell them to cancel their internet and now $200 cap just has my Hydro/Water/Gas --> LL expenses still the same and my expenses will go up by $10

I am leaning more towards b) since a) is increasing my expenses by $50. But ofc I understand LL can refuse. I'll try to make them understand that it's less hassle for them if I have my own internet.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4111 posts
2258 upvotes
Toronto
OP, the LL should be providing you copies of all the bills in order for you to determine what it costs each month. If internet is included with your utilities your on the hook for the bill regardless of whether you also get your own internet (on top of paying for the provided internet).
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2021
2075 posts
3441 upvotes
If the landlord insists on paying for internet and utilities and keeping them under their name, there's likely some funny business going on (ahem tax evasion)

But if your utilities are way over, sounds like you're also into some funny business lol (crypto mining?)

Anyway it sounds like you just need to talk to your landlord. Not sure what we can help with here. Likely they'll say yes and it'll be a 5min convo.