• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2016 12:03 pm
[OP]
Nov 22, 2008
341 posts
105 upvotes

False accusation at Enterprise

OK guys, I need some advice...

The story goes, I rented a car from Enterprise for about a week. My car was totalled as someone rear ended me. Upon returning the rental, one of the reps told me that there are scuffs under the passenger door.

These guys did the most 'relaxed' inspection of the car I've ever seen. A simple walk around and checked the gas. I didn't bother checking the vehicle because I've used them before and I trusted them to do a good job and not lie. Returning the vehicle they check it like an autopsy! Now, knowing me there is no way that I would have ran up a curb without knowing and I was the only one driving the car. I've been driving larger vehicles all my life so this rental was no exception (ford flex).

The rep told me that they will contact me within 1 week to notify me of what's going on. 1 week passes, no word. I thought it was dropped for whatever reason. 2 weeks later I get a letter asking me to provide credit card/ insurance information so that they can make the claim process as transparent and hassle free as possible. The letter did not note any pricing or anything.

I go back to the enterprise where I rented the car and asked the rep who I dealt with and he said that it's gonna cost $600 and he will waive all the other fees in association. I asked do they still have the car, he says that it has been repaired and sold! WTF. Just this doesn't make sense to me, how their is an open claim on this vehicle but yet everything has been taken care of and the vehicle was even sold, I'm just left with a bill essentially.

I will not be liable for another person's mistake, doesn't matter if it's $1 or $1000. It's not about the money, it's about the principle. False accusation is not something I will take lightly.

Has anyone else ever had to deal with something like this? And what was the outcome, how was it resolved?

Thanks guys for the input!
54 replies
Apr 25, 2016
145 posts
54 upvotes
Ontario
This is the first time I've heard of this.
I always check the car more carefully than they (Enterprise and Discount) do, and make them note down all blemishes on the rental before signing the agreement.

I would ask for pictures that clearly show the vehicle in question as proof of damage. If they don't have any then the case is closed since the vehicle is sold.
Last edited by Honda30 on Oct 31st, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
10642 posts
4742 upvotes
Ontario
Honda30 wrote: This is the first time I've heard of this.
I always check the car more carefully than they (Enterprise and Discount) do, and make them note down all blemishes on the rental before signing the agreem
Better yet pull out your cell phone and record all around video + photos. To be even safer, make sure you "accidentally" include their agent in these shots/videos. For this reason I would always insist on their representative being present with me, while doing the inspection.

To the op,
You are kind of in hard situation. Hard to prove things at this point. However, if you are sure it was not you, then I would keep pushing them until they make right. Escalate to all possible managers. Involve social media, news, etc. If you push hard enough, and you are in the right, it'll probably be resolved.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22381 posts
3255 upvotes
Ask for the inspections from the previous 10 rentals. I did and suddenly a letter from the regional manager arrived claiming the damage was due to an administrative error.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7040 posts
645 upvotes
BC Interior
I have to say this isn't the first nor will it be the last Enterprise unexpected damage horror story. Good luck OP.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
876 upvotes
Ottawa
If your insurance company paid for the rental car, let THEM handle this.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
Every time I rented from Enterprise they did a lazy job on the inspection and missed things.
You probably got burned because they were selling the car and the higher ups were going to have to account for that damage.

I I don't know what to say other than they didn't check there before and so could not say for sure the damage was not already there.
The fact that by established process their 1st inspections are almost always lazy helps you if you want to go to court.

I like the ask for the last 10 inspections thing.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2008
341 posts
105 upvotes
I have sent an e-mail to their customer support hoping to escalate this to proper upper level management. I will ask them about the 10 prior inspections as suggested, I hope it goes well.
But I just find it ridiculous that they even sold the vehicle. It's like they want to get rid of the evidence or something like that.
MacGyver wrote: If your insurance company paid for the rental car, let THEM handle this.
How would this play out? Would it not be just me accepting the fault? My premiums would go up no?
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
1ton wrote: I have sent an e-mail to their customer support hoping to escalate this to proper upper level management. I will ask them about the 10 prior inspections as suggested, I hope it goes well.
But I just find it ridiculous that they even sold the vehicle. It's like they want to get rid of the evidence or something like that.
MacGyver wrote: If your insurance company paid for the rental car, let THEM handle this.
How would this play out? Would it not be just me accepting the fault? My premiums would go up no?
Yes they would go up. I wonder if Enterprise told your insurance company.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38178 posts
24361 upvotes
Center of Universe
Enterprise is my go to place and I've never had any issues for the past decade.
My local agency allows drop offs on Sundays (put the keys in a lock box) and I've haven't received any surprise bills yet.
If you paid with a CC, check for coverage.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
192 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Not necessarily that easy, unless he makes a claim through his insurance. I recently rented via Enterprise because my car was being repaired following an accident. My insurance covered me for a rental and covers me while driving the car. When I picked up the car at Enterprise I had two options, waive Enterprise' insurance, or pay out of pocket for it. Essentially this meant if I waived it, any damage that occurred while I rented it would either be paid by me personally, or I could claim through my insurance. If I paid for Enterprise' insurance, they cover the cost of the repairs completely, I wash my hands of it, and nothing goes on my record or claims history as my insurer is not involved in any way.

And if he were to go through his insurance he'd have to pay a deductible. Given it doesn't sound like it was the result of a collision but rather comprehensive damage, the deductible would likely be $500 or more.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2008
341 posts
105 upvotes
It's been a week and their AM hs decided to reach out and left me a voice mail. Looking forward to speaking to him about this problem..
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3203 posts
883 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
1ton wrote: OK guys, I need some advice...

The story goes, I rented a car from Enterprise for about a week. My car was totalled as someone rear ended me. Upon returning the rental, one of the reps told me that there are scuffs under the passenger door.

These guys did the most 'relaxed' inspection of the car I've ever seen. A simple walk around and checked the gas. I didn't bother checking the vehicle because I've used them before and I trusted them to do a good job and not lie. Returning the vehicle they check it like an autopsy! Now, knowing me there is no way that I would have ran up a curb without knowing and I was the only one driving the car. I've been driving larger vehicles all my life so this rental was no exception (ford flex).

The rep told me that they will contact me within 1 week to notify me of what's going on. 1 week passes, no word. I thought it was dropped for whatever reason. 2 weeks later I get a letter asking me to provide credit card/ insurance information so that they can make the claim process as transparent and hassle free as possible. The letter did not note any pricing or anything.

I go back to the enterprise where I rented the car and asked the rep who I dealt with and he said that it's gonna cost $600 and he will waive all the other fees in association. I asked do they still have the car, he says that it has been repaired and sold! WTF. Just this doesn't make sense to me, how their is an open claim on this vehicle but yet everything has been taken care of and the vehicle was even sold, I'm just left with a bill essentially.

I will not be liable for another person's mistake, doesn't matter if it's $1 or $1000. It's not about the money, it's about the principle. False accusation is not something I will take lightly.

Has anyone else ever had to deal with something like this? And what was the outcome, how was it resolved?

Thanks guys for the input!
Sorry to say it it's your responsibility to check for any damages and scratches before renting it. There's nothing you can do except pay and be careful next time.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1124 posts
98 upvotes
Halifax, NS
fboybcb wrote: Sorry to say it it's your responsibility to check for any damages and scratches before renting it. There's nothing you can do except pay and be careful next time.
I agree with this. It's unfortunate, but true and I've been burned by it before too. It's even more common at the airport locations because they know a lot of times renters are coming off a long flight and just want to get to their destination. I usually check it over very thoroughly, but I had one time where my flight was delayed, it was around midnight and dark outside. I just wanted to get in and go to my hotel. I noticed the damage the next morning and I know there was no way I had done it. I argued with them when I returned it, but logically, I knew there was nothing I could do because I didn't check it well enough. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept some sort of record to know which cars have damage that was unchecked so they can use it against unsuspecting renters. They could probably get away with it several times for each incident before getting it fixed.

In my case, the credit card I used had insurance, so I just ended up putting a claim through that and it was the end of it. But boy did I make a stink at the counter. In the end, I had to catch flight, and they knew it.

I remember seeing a news article about insurance car repair scams a few years ago. I think it was in BC somewhere. Personally, I think they entire industry is sketchy.
May 8, 2016
185 posts
85 upvotes
I had a similar situation with Enterprise last summer when I rented a Mustang 5.0 for a week. One day it rained and I noticed that car was all over the road so I checked the rear tires and they were BELOW the wear bars. The car already had 10,000 kms on it so I'm sure it had been abused to no end. I took it back and told them the car wasn't safe with the current tires and they gave me a new one. 2 weeks later I got a letter in the mail saying I was responsible for the damage to the tires. Long story short I lost my sh*t on the local reps and the regional manager finally called and sorted it out for me. I say escalate it as soon as possible as the local reps seem to have no authority with claims situations. Besides this one incident I have rented from Enterprise many many times and they are still by far the best to deal with.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2694 posts
1175 upvotes
I use enterprise when I rent (for work, mostly). I've only had this sort of problem with them once. This is why rental car insurance from someone other than the rental agency is important.

I returned a vehicle and they decided that I was responsible from some scuff/chip/paint damage on the front bumper. They wanted $500 or so. I smiled and said that I got insurance through (company) and I'm sure one of their adjusters will have no problems reviewing the car history and determining what the value of the damage was and the likelihood I caused it. Suddenly there was no damage I had to worry about. I concluded that the franchisee (I think enterprise are all franchisees?) was trying to make a buck.

It sucks because they are by far the best rental place I've used. Luckily I rarely have to rent now.

If you're in MB, use MPI for rental car insurance every time. $15 admin + $2/day for better coverage and lower deductible than the rental car places insurance gives you, and you can use them to call any bluffs. I'd rather pay MPI $200 deductible than be blackmailed by a rental car place.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9143 posts
2815 upvotes
Enterprise isn't franchsied in N America
Nov 8, 2016
13 posts
5 upvotes
GTA
spiralspirit wrote: I use enterprise when I rent (for work, mostly). I've only had this sort of problem with them once. This is why rental car insurance from someone other than the rental agency is important.

I returned a vehicle and they decided that I was responsible from some scuff/chip/paint damage on the front bumper. They wanted $500 or so. I smiled and said that I got insurance through (company) and I'm sure one of their adjusters will have no problems reviewing the car history and determining what the value of the damage was and the likelihood I caused it. Suddenly there was no damage I had to worry about. I concluded that the franchisee (I think enterprise are all franchisees?) was trying to make a buck.

It sucks because they are by far the best rental place I've used. Luckily I rarely have to rent now.

If you're in MB, use MPI for rental car insurance every time. $15 admin + $2/day for better coverage and lower deductible than the rental car places insurance gives you, and you can use them to call any bluffs. I'd rather pay MPI $200 deductible than be blackmailed by a rental car place.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I've never encountered this situation. Usually, the insurance company won't pay for the repair of any damage to a car unless they have had an adjuster inspected the car first. So it is strange that the car rental company would just "fix" the car and expect your insurance company to pay for it.
Registered Insurance Broker (Ont).

All messages are for information only. Please consult your insurance policy for terms and conditions.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1193 upvotes
Montreal
Once, I rented a Dodge Charger, I found out there was a cigarette burn in one of the seats, only after the inspection. (and I don't smoke!)

I was kinda nervous about it, I'm happy the rep didn't make a fuss about it.
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1193 upvotes
Montreal
Maybe let them take you to court for this?

They will have a hard time explaining to the judge that they repaired and sold the car before you could even assess anything.
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile