Credit Cards

False Transunion alert on credit profile?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 4:58 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 22, 2012
924 posts
80 upvotes
MONTR

False Transunion alert on credit profile?

Hi,

I applied for a credit card online and they sent me a letter saying I need to call them. I called them and the agent said I have a fraud alert on my credit profile and that it requires that the creditors call me anytime I apply for credit.

I have never applied, or called, or registered anything on transunion. So the agent is saying he can't approve with this on file. What should I do?

Is it possible that this is someone else's report somehow mixed up? Because I clearly remember another credit card company, years ago, when I called them for my new credit card, asked me if I was a victim of identity theft and I said never and he also said there was an alert on my profile or something, but later he told me this could be a false report, and sometimes it happens and so he did approve my application.

So I am not sure what's going on with this, whether it's the agent or me, or some other thing? Can someone initiate this on my behalf like a bank?

I didn't put my SIN number in my application so could this be it?

What I don't understand is why they can't just verify me by other means and take my word that I didn't have an alert and I don't require anyone to call me for new credit? I already have an account with them.

Thanks in advance.
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
7886 posts
8193 upvotes
The Prairies
Were you included in the Government Student Loans, or People’s Trust Financial data breaches?
These two incidents resulted in everyone affected having alerts put in their credit files automatically.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4506 posts
2133 upvotes
Toronto
Suggest you request your free credit report / consumer disclosure from both Equifax and TransUnion.
Once you have those you will see what is on your file(s) and the last page will be a form you can send in to request any changes.
A fraud alert will typically have your phone # attached to it. If it is not your #, then that is a clue indicating it may be a crossed file.
You can request the fraud alert be removed.
OTOH having a Fraud Alert on your file can be a PITA, it also serves as an extra layer of security for potential fraud.
Most times having a fraud alert will mean you have to go in person to a bank or store to prove you are who you are. Online applications will usually require verification.
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.